Menu

A brief promo for Science Shepherd

I ordered Science Shepherd Biology and we started it last week. Since I've not seen anything posted about this program I thought I would give some input. It is not as colorful as BJU. But, I think it does have more pictures, diagrams, etc. than Apologia. The text is not chatty like Apologia. It is written to the student so it is much easier to understand than BJU. There is no TM, only a teacher guide with an answer key, time table, notes, etc.

I've only used it a few days so I cannot give an in depth review. At first glance, it appears to do what I need it to do - teach biology without overwhelming or boring either dd or her teacher :). Human anatomy/physiology is included as is a chapter on ecology and one on evolution/creation/fossil record. Rainbow Resource, the publisher's website, and cdb (I think) have sample pages.

I was overwhelmed by BJU. The lesson planning I HAD to do was mounting all the time. I just did not have the extra hours (yes hours) to prepare for this course. It is a great program, I'm not bashing it. It just was not a good fit for us.

I was underwhelmed by Apologia. Dd did not at all like the chatty style with limited visuals. Again, not bashing this program, many love it. It was just a bad fit for us.

So, it looks like Science SHepherd is a happy medium. But, as I've said, we've only used it a few days. Just wanted to let folks know of another option out there..........

I did email to ask about chemistry. They are planning for a chemistry program. I already have the Castle Heights lab books and supplies which I think are by the same people. So, as of now, I have not purchased the labs. If I find I need the dvd, I will purchase it. It is pricey (for my budget at least) so I'm hoping not to have to buy it.

Chemistry worries me a bit. Once I ruled out BJU and Apologia, my choices number of choices is more limited.......