Menu

Dd has taken the Paragraph, Writing about Books, Poetry Writing/Analysis and Expository classes (also the 9th grade Honors class). I liked the (multiple) feedback. Some other classes like WriteatHome only have 1 per week. Ms. Eileen, who teaches the upper classes, will send back as many emails as needed for editing. IMO, the 2 essential classes are the Paragraph and Expository Writing classes. Dd says the writing is stressed, not the grammar.

My dd is the opposite of your ds. She had excellent grammar/punctuation but needed to expand on her ideas. If your ds is lacking in grammar, why don't you try Easy Grammar or Analytical Grammar and something for usage.

We used hoem2teach for 3 session when ds was in 7th/8th grade. I was not impressed. You may read my review in this thread.

That said, ds was quite a bit younger than your ds and did 3 of the introductory classes. I have heard good things about Eileen, and I might have stayed with them had we been able to get her as a teacher. IMO, she's built her little empire, but the subordinates aren't so hot.

We used hoem2teach for 3 session when ds was in 7th/8th grade. I was not impressed. You may read my review in this thread.

That said, ds was quite a bit younger than your ds and did 3 of the introductory classes. I have heard good things about Eileen, and I might have stayed with them had we been able to get her as a teacher. IMO, she's built her little empire, but the subordinates aren't so hot.

Ds (12 years old) has taken a few of her lower level classes (taught by, I guess, college students) and they are nowhere near the level of Ms. Eileen's class. I recommend the home2teach classes taught by Ms. Eileen, not the lower levels.

Thank you so much for the information. Through the years we have tried different curriculum for grammar and punctuation and none have worked for us. (I know we picked up easy grammar once.) It would help if I knew it myself. :)

Nevertheless, this year I need to focus on a child with serious medical issues, so I need a course with a teacher attached. (I have no time to teach my son.)

When you state that the writing is stressed not grammar, does that mean the teacher ignores grammar mistakes? My son's current teacher (write at home) wants him to fix all his punctuation but gives little to no instruction. She has not made any corrections (only positive comments) in other aspects of his writing. I assume that means he is doing a good job otherwise.

In the home2teach live class, do the kids chat a lot or is the class kept focused?

When you say the teacher will send back as many e-mails as needed for editing, does that mean my son can correct his work then send the entire paper to her as many times as he wants during the week? Write at home would be difficult to do that because you need to use a form to contact the teacher not e-mail.

The class is kept focused.

The WriteatHome classes have 1 edit per week. The home2teach uses email so dd has had more than 2 edits for an assignment. As I said earlier, she's excellent in grammar so her edits are mostly for expanding, transitions, etc not grammar or usage.

If his grammar is poor, I think that Easy Grammar is worth doing and can be done independently (by a 9th grader). It's difficult to write well if the building blocks are not solid. Ms. Eileen does request a writing sample to place the students so if the grammar is not up to par, he might not be able to start at the Paragraph class.

PS The WriteatHome class that dd took gave all positive comments. Since her grammar was good, there were very few edits. I thought it was a waste of time and money the year she took it.