Menu

Help With Megawords Placement

Homeschooling6

My dd tested out of Megawords 1 last year, but I had her do some of the book anyway. We took the summer off and now are ready to start Megawords 2. I'm not sure where to place her in the book. Here's her scores:

List Reading Spelling

9. 5/5 3/5

10. 5/5 5/5

11. 5/5 5/5

12. 5/5 5/5

13. 4/5 4/5

14. 5/5 4/5

Should I have her complete list 9, 13 & 14? She has looked the list over and said they are all easy. Do I skip book 2 and have her try book 3?

What does the Hive recommend :D She really wants to be challenged. In her own words, "I want to be challenged mom." ;)

I do 10 words for reading and 10 words for spelling. With that said, you need 80% to continue to the next list. So, using only five words, which is not truly a great sampling but decent enough, wherever she missed is where she may need to start. Certainly, that inlcudes list 9. I would pick up the second level and begin there.

Do make sure that her spelling is not silent spelling! This is stressed all through the first level. Have them say the word. Have them say the syllable they are spelling. She may only need to verbalize. I truly would test again using this vocalization and see if she places beyond level 2. :)

We did not make it past the first list, LOL. Ah well ...

I do 10 words for reading and 10 words for spelling. With that said, you need 80% to continue to the next list. So, using only five words, which is not truly a great sampling but decent enough, wherever she missed is where she may need to start. Certainly, that inlcudes list 9. I would pick up the second level and begin there.

Do make sure that her spelling is not silent spelling! This is stressed all through the first level. Have them say the word. Have them say the syllable they are spelling. She may only need to verbalize. I truly would test again using this vocalization and see if she places beyond level 2. :)

We did not make it past the first list, LOL. Ah well ...

Thank you :) I did what you said with list 9 and she passed with flying colors. I don't know why she missed two during the assessment but yet spelling over 20 words correctly. I then had her do the same with 13 & 14. I'm stumped, do I have her do 2 or not:confused:

She is a pretty good speller. Sees a word and pretty much can spell it. I want her to go through Megawords to find any gaps. When she comes to longer words I want her to be able to take them apart so she can read and spell them. She reads above grade level. She does break things down by syllables when spelling and knows her 70 phonogram.

Edited by Homeschooling6

I would have her do 2. I would skip the lists that she obviously has.

I wouldn't write in the book for two lists. I would resell after you finish reviewing the rules from all the lists and mastering 13 and 14.

Editing: I reread. She made it through the lists? If so, test her on level 3. I need a coffee!

I would have her do 2. I would skip the lists that she obviously has.

I wouldn't write in the book for two lists. I would resell after you finish reviewing the rules from all the lists and mastering 13 and 14.

Editing: I reread. She made it through the lists? If so, test her on level 3. I need a coffee!

Thank you!:)