Menu

Has anyone used "Put that in Writing"

I used it. It was great with my son, who at the time (either 8th or 9th grade) had a style of writing much too young for his age and for his other abilities in English (very simple sentences and low level vocabulary.) Within a few months I noticed a great improvement.

For my daughter, who had a more natural flair for writing, it still had some benefit, but not so strikingly noticeable. She also got more frustrated with the repetitious nature of it.

Overall, I was pleased and would recommend it.

HTH,

Debbie

Tried to use PTIW 1 in four years ago with average writing son (then 8th grade). We were both so frustrated with the very dull and uncreative examples of "good writing"; the unnecessarily elevated tone of the teaching information; and the repetitive grammar exercises; and the extremely slow pace of the first 12 lessons, that it we dropped PTIW after persevering through the first 7 lessons.

Because it was so darn expensive we made ourselves use it the following year -- BUT with major modifications:

- skipped 11 of the first 12 lessons

- skipped all the repetitive grammar exercises

- replaced PTIW's boring writing assignment ideas with our own (often coming up with ideas from the literature or history)

Basically, we just read the 2-3 pages of teaching text/information on a particular type of writing from PTIW -- and then practiced it on our own with assignments of our own making. I will say that the information on the variety of writing types is good, and PTIW does cover a few types of paragraphs not covered by other writing programs. It's just that having to so drastically change the program and to omit large portions made PTIW extremely expensive for what boiled down to 2-3 pages of information on each of about 10-12 different types of paragraphs!

No way we've been able to use PTIW with struggling writer younger DS.

Just need to reiterate that this is not the case with PTIW with everyone -- a number of people on this board have had success with it and found it to be just the thing for their students. Do look at the sample pages to get a feel if this program would work for you or not, and consider trying to buy it used.

BEST of luck in finding what works well for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

My eldest is currently using PTIW Level 1. She likes it quite a bit. We like the repetitive grammar lessons. They are very similar to the MCT practice sentences - defining parts of speech, parts of a sentence, phrases and clauses in one or two sentences each day. It is written to the student so she can do most of the program herself, coming to me if she doesn't understand why she missed a grammar question and to check over her writing assignments. She does not use the suggested writing topics. She simply uses the instructions and applies them to whatever she is currently studying in history or science.

I owned it briefly. I did not like the LONG paragraphs it used as examples. These were just too unrealistic; each should have been broken down into 3 or more paragraphs. The content was outdated or just plain odd. Can't remember any specifics, maybe something about a 'boom box'. :D

I did like the format of teaching the grammar, but the lessons seemed rather repetitive to me. My dd was too old also when I attempted to use this; I would think middle school would be a better age group. I have also heard and option is to just skip the first book and do the advanced one.

Just my experience; looks like others use this curriculum with great success. :)