Menu

Writing!!! What are you using?

My 10th grader writes very well, however I am really struggling to find a good writing "curriculum"

We have and have tried:

Writing Strands

Wordsmith Craftsman

AO LifePacs

WriteSource

Write with the Best.

At this point, I just need to get her writing!!!! What is out there that is not boring, and interesting that will have her writing essays and papers.

I cannot think of any topics myself. I am not good at this.

Should I just pick one of these and "just do it"??

What are you using and what works. Are there any free websites out there??

Analytical Grammar's The Essay and The Research Paper (2 separate programs). I think they are $15 each. We have used The Essay. Dd can now write a very good essay in a reasonable amount of time. I do plan on using The Research Paper at some point.

Another family I know IRL really likes Jensen's Format Writing. They said it was exactly what they needed to get their writing on track.

Some other programs you didn't list, but might want to take a peak at:

Ignite Your Writing (multi level)

Jump In (granted it is Jr. High)

Both of those are pretty inexpensive which is also a bonus.

Analytical Grammar's The Essay and The Research Paper (2 separate programs). I think they are $15 each. We have used The Essay. Dd can now write a very good essay in a reasonable amount of time. I do plan on using The Research Paper at some point.

Another family I know IRL really likes Jensen's Format Writing. They said it was exactly what they needed to get their writing on track.

Some other programs you didn't list, but might want to take a peak at:

Ignite Your Writing (multi level)

Jump In (granted it is Jr. High)

Both of those are pretty inexpensive which is also a bonus.

I actually have Jump In, but my younger child was not ready for it.

Could I use it with a highschooler? I really cannot afford any more curriuculum. Next year, for 11th I can go ahead and purchase Jensens, or Hands On Essays which I have on my short list

I have also used these: Analytical Grammar's The Essay and The Research Paper. Both were quite helpful.

We've used Writing Strands: Creating Fiction with success.

My son keeps a blog as well-- does your DD have interest in something like that? He's also going to try NaNoWriMo-- there's a Young Writer's program as well http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/ywp

Freewriting as described in The Artist's way is a good start. I just bought The Awe-manac and really like it for daily writing prompts. Real Writing a remedial CC text is available very cheaply in the older editions. I actually like the older editions better. The newer editions are written to facilitate rushing a student through the book in a short period of time, rather than the book being an organized resource book on all the most important types of writing, spoon fed, with junior high type checklists.

Reading Write Like Hemingway and Writing Tools helped me narrow down on what are priorities in learning to write and what is fluff. I would never LIMIT a child to minimalism writing, but it's a nice set of rules to set as MUST COVER.