Menu

Help with Destinos Spanish

Guest jerseymom

Guest jerseymom

This is my first post so I am new to this. Hello everyone. Has anyone ever used Destinos spanish. I am teaching spanish to highschoolers and we chose destinos but it is very intensive. I need help. Does anyone have highschool lesson plans for this curriculum? I would really appreciate it. Thanks - jersey mom P.S. what is a "tag"?.

This is my first post so I am new to this. Hello everyone. Has anyone ever used Destinos spanish. I am teaching spanish to highschoolers and we chose destinos but it is very intensive. I need help. Does anyone have highschool lesson plans for this curriculum? I would really appreciate it. Thanks - jersey mom P.S. what is a "tag"?.

They sell materials to teach this program with (besides the textbook, there's a faculty guide and a workbook/study guide) - you can buy them at learner.org, or I've also seen them on Amazon. I'd assume the faculty guide has lesson plans(?)

I've only ever watched the videos...

When I was pregnant and on bedrest with my now 10 year old daughter, I watched Destinos every day on public television. It was great Spanish practice, but I had already studied Spanish for 2 years in high school. For an absolute beginner, it is very hard. Transitions Abroad had an article specifically mentioning this. You may need to start with another program and then transition into Destinos.

I started with Destinos as a beginner without a teacher. I went very slow and used both the textbook and the workbook( along with both the video and audio tapes). I did ok, although I couldn't have had a conversation to save my life. (I could read and understand, though.)

If you just watch the video, it isn't enough, but there are plenty of supporting materials.

I used Pimsleur to finally get some "conversation" in. Destinos doesn't really do that for you.

If you, as the teacher, know Spanish, I think it would probably work fine, but you'll want to schedule in some conversational Spanish.

Some colleges use it as a single year course -- so it's suggested it's a 2 year high school course, but I think that's a bit ambitious.

One of my kids did about 1/2 of Destinos and 1/2 of Pimsleur, and then placed into the 4th semester of college Spanish, so that may tell you something about how much it covers.

When I was pregnant and on bedrest with my now 10 year old daughter, I watched Destinos every day on public television. It was great Spanish practice, but I had already studied Spanish for 2 years in high school. For an absolute beginner, it is very hard. Transitions Abroad had an article specifically mentioning this. You may need to start with another program and then transition into Destinos.

:iagree: I'm a native Spanish speaker and from what I understand, Destinos is meant to be like a Spanish II program. I love their videos!