Menu

What kind of birthday cake for 11 year old boy?

I made an aquarium cake for my then 11 year old niece, and her then 9 year old brother loved it so much, he requested one for his 10th birthday. My niece asked me again when she was 13 or 14 to make another aquarium cake, but I made it more like an "under the ocean" cake. I lost all my photos on an external hard drive that I dropped, so I don't have pictures, except in my scrapbooks. I can't figure out how to work my scanner, so I'll try to find examples online and post pics.

http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/coolest-aquarium-cake-32.html

Aquarium Cake

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_eNyiOtiPtNY/TAZtd__hSMI/AAAAAAAAAXY/063c5RBRTyg/s1600/IMG_8108.JPG

I used Nerds candies for aquarium gravel, and crushed graham crackers for sand. I used Swedish fish and other gummy sea creatures. I used rock candy for coral and green fruit roll ups for kelp.

I made a shark cake for a boy about the same age. It was a big hit. It was a sheet cake frosted with buttercream in peaks to look like waves and airbrushed with light blue (wilton can). The shark was coming out of the cake so it was only a head. I made the shark out of rice krispy treats molded and covered in chocolate and fondant. You can make it as scary as you want. I had floating boat parts and a lifesaver with the name of birthday boy on it. It was pretty easy and a lot of fun.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1615391

What does he like? You can search the threads for "buttercream transfer" (or look on youtube) and you can do ANYTHING. It was quite wonderful, I'm not creative at all, and I made a terrific something-from-Zelda (video game) that my ds loved for his recent bday.

Last year, I made a Star Wars light saber (using blue jello jiggler-types for the light).

What are his interests ? Is there a sport he likes ? Maybe a character from a book or video game or something of that nature ? Or a certain type of music ?

:iagree: I've always made the cake represent whatever the particular kid was "into" at the time. This year, for my ds's 12th, I made an electric guitar cake. His sister liked it, and wanted a guitar for her birthday, but she plays acoustic, so I made her an acoustic guitar cake. In the past, I've made cakes that looked like books, jungle, merry-go-round, tropical beach, race track, hidden treasure, and TelleTubbie Land.

What does your ds like to do? What does he like to read/watch/play? What does he talk about every day? Tell us that, and we'll figure out a cake for him.

Both my husband and son's favorite cake so far has been a giant jolly roger flag. I dyed the icing black, and then hand-molded royal icing into a skull and crossed bones. All the other kids (from little to grown-up :D) also really enjoyed the necrotic look it gave them (the black tongues, blackish-blue lips, and rotted teeth look). It was also my favorite cake to make. I've got a picture around here somewhere if you wanted to take a look, but it really was an easy cake; simple to bake, simple to ice, and a joy to decorate.

The idea of the aquarium sounds great! I think I'll have to try that one next time...