Menu

Plural of hoof.....

Since when is it "acceptable" to spell the plural of hoof as hoofs? It seems ridiculous. I am asking because a friend whose son attends public school was sent home with a worksheet that said the plural of hoof was hoofs. Last we both checked it was still hooves, but apparently that has changed.

Well, I'm gobsmacked. According to freedictionary.com the plural of hoof can be hooves or hoofs. Hoofs

Personally I'm sticking with hooves.

I am with you, it seems like it has become acceptable because so many were spelling it wrong anyway - so we may as well change it!! :thumbdown:

You know, we just came across this in Caddie Woodlawn, and both my daughter and I were flummoxed! I had never before seen it spelled "hoofs," but I actually assumed it had to be correct, in a Newberry classic after all. :D

My question is, does that spelling change how the word is pronounced? Or is it like the plural of roof? :001_huh:

Correct spelling is in the eye of the beholder (teacher).

All kidding aside, I've never seen it spelled "hoofs"... :001_huh:

You know, we just came across this in Caddie Woodlawn, and both my daughter and I were flummoxed! I had never before seen it spelled "hoofs," but I actually assumed it had to be correct, in a Newberry classic after all. :D

My question is, does that spelling change how the word is pronounced? Or is it like the plural of roof? :001_huh:

Well, I use hoofs. I say it as it is spelled. :001_smile:

i don't know about hoofs/hooves ~ but my dd13 CONSTANTLY writes "leafs" instead of "leaves".

canadian hockey fans can likely guess why. ;)

OK, now all I can think of is that old NHL commercial in which a gardener in a Habs sweater mows down the leaves yelling, "Go away, maple leafs! You remind me of Mats Sundin. Die, maple leafs, die!"

I am quite surprised. I have to say that I have NEVER heard of hoofs being used.

Picture and listen to yourself say this: Texas cowboy saying in his long Texas way: "my horse's hoofs."

Doesn't work, it would end up being "hoo' ifs".

Now picture and listen Texas cowboy: " my horse's hooves."

In Texas, we say "hooves," because we can't pronounce it the other way. And I'm a transplant.

:lol:

I have an Usborne book that uses fishes for the plural of fish. The book was printed in the UK.

I haven't seen hoofs in a book.

Note of interest: Fish is plural for a group of the same species. Fishes is plural for a group that includes different species.:001_smile: