Menu

Geometry suggestions

Guest TheBugsMom

Guest TheBugsMom

Right now my son is using BJU Pre-Algebra and will be using their Algebra for next year, but I am thinking ahead so I can start investigating other curriculum for Geometry. Sadly BJU Geometry is below par from what I remember when my oldest did it a few years ago. Luckily he is math inclined and was able work through the books and figure things out on his own. My youngest son does well in math but relies heavily on the book teaching him the concepts...in other words he can not take what he knows and get to what he needs to know unless lots of hand-holding is involved (if that makes sense.) So I am trying to find a Geometry curriculum. Saxon is not an option I will consider. However I am looking at Life of Fred or Teaching Textbooks, but am not sure if he will find problems because he did not use their curriculum for Algebra. Also I would like the curriculum to be continuing..in other words, I would like to use the same "series" for his next math courses. What options are out there besides the ones I mentioned? I need something with full solutions given to the teacher and one that will not need a loan to purchase.

I was very happy with BJU Geometry, the teacher has changed since the new edition has come out. My graduated ds did Chalkdust. He said he was able to look at the solutions manual and figure out how the problems were done, but it didn't come easily to him. It was too hard for dd. Chalkdust has new proofs never seen before on the tests. That freaked her out big time. BJU doesn't have any surprises on the tests, the the dvds review before tests. We did Geometry Traditional. I have heard very good things on this forum about Geometry New (also Chalkdust).

I just reread your post, if he needs hand-holding then BJU is your best bet.

Guest TheBugsMom
I was very happy with BJU Geometry, the teacher has changed since the new edition has come out. My graduated ds did Chalkdust. He said he was able to look at the solutions manual and figure out how the problems were done, but it didn't come easily to him. It was too hard for dd. Chalkdust has new proofs never seen before on the tests. That freaked her out big time. BJU doesn't have any surprises on the tests, the the dvds review before tests. We did Geometry Traditional. I have heard very good things on this forum about Geometry New (also Chalkdust).

I just reread your post, if he needs hand-holding then BJU is your best bet.

Thank you for the info. We used the BJU Geometry in 2006, have they come out with a newer edition then this? As for the DVDs, we don't use BJU DVD, just the texts.

We are using Art of Problem Solving. We started with Intro to Algebra, DD is currently doing geometry, and it goes all the way to calculus.

For us it is the perfect program,because my kids like, and are good at, math.

There are online classes that go with it, but we are just using the books.

Guest TheBugsMom
We used just the texts through PreAlgebra. From Algebra 1 on, the dvds (or online option) is a necessity unless you want to teach it every day. The texts don't have everything you need, they assume a teacher is teaching the subject.

This is interesting. I wonder if this is with the newer editions because my oldest went through the Algebra 1 and 2 and Geometry without the DVDs. I am going to have to see what the changes were. Thanks for the heads up.

Guest TheBugsMom
We are using Art of Problem Solving. We started with Intro to Algebra, DD is currently doing geometry, and it goes all the way to calculus.

I will look into this, thank you.

I'll second AoPS. Another great thing about it is the forum on their website; if you have a question, you can be sure that the AoPSers have already discussed it. At length. Possibly to death. :)

I like Kinetic Books. When I first used them, all they had was Algebra I and it was a brand-new release. Now they have finished Pre-algebra, Algebra I, and Algebra II. They are releasing Geometry this month.

I hope they will have Precalculus or at least Trigonometry ready for fall 2011 so my middle dd can stick with Kinetic Books (she prefers it over all other math programs), but they would neither confirm or deny that they were working on it, so I don't know if it will be an option or not.