Menu

Favorite Comfort Food When You Are Sick

I haven't been sick in quite a while so I'm not sure anymore, but it used to be chocolate cake. Back when it was just the two of us, I once made DH go to Costco to buy chocolate cake for me when I was sick. Yes, I know their cakes are a bit large for two people but theirs was my favorite.

Lucky Charms in freezing cold milk. I have no idea why, it's just the only thing that appeals to me!

ETA: Actually, I always want soft-boiled eggs with toast because that's what my mom used to make me when I was little, but only my mom can do that right, so I never get them anymore :D

Chicken Noodle Soup. Unfortunately, I have yet to find anyone's that I like as much as my own.

I tried, once, to get my husband to just heat up some chicken broth with noodles and some chopped celery. He seemed so baffled by it and acted as if it would be SO MUCH WORK. Sigh. I just keep a stash of Progresso chicken noodle soup for when I'm sick.

A giant bowl of chicken pho.

I want chicken pho when I'm sick and when I'm well. It makes me feel better when I've had a crummy day. It's also the perfect way to celebrate a glorious day.

yummy yummy yummy!!!!

:iagree:

But, I like beef Pho (a vegan version). That soup is magic. I put it up there with Mexican soups that we eat.

Cream of Tomato soup always makes me feel better. I like it best for lunch and I sip it in a mug.

For supper, spaghetti will have me feeling great in no time.

Dh likes ginger-ale and toast.

how do you guys want food when you're sick?

am i the only one who loses my taste buds *completely* with a bad cold?

i could eat raw fish, peanut butter, and bits of my husband's workboots with only a difference in the texture. :ack2:

For a cold I feel like chili clears me out, and warms me up to my bones. For me it's not so much about the flavor, (my taste buds are out of it too when I'm sick) but about the medicinal properties of the ingredients. And I can feel more calm and relaxed after comfort foods.

i could eat raw fish, peanut butter, and bits of my husband's workboots with only a difference in the texture. :ack2:

For a cold I feel like chili clears me out, and warms me up to my bones. For me it's not so much about the flavor, (my taste buds are out of it too when I'm sick) but about the medicinal properties of the ingredients. And I can feel more calm and relaxed after comfort foods.

see, i could eat the chili and taste... nothing. it would be 'spicy' on my tongue, but have NO flavour, NO smell. none! :laugh:

drives me nuts.

Anything someone else is generous enough to make me?

When I am sick I often make myself healthy stuff like broth with chilli and garlic, and vegetable juices if I am well enough to stand and do that.

But when I am at my lowest.....probably just chocolate. Dark, dark chocolate.

:iagree: When I'm sick, I usually lose my appetite.

Now, when I'm just starting a cold coming on, I really like soup. Any kind of soup. but, once the cold has taken hold, nothing.

For a cold, if I'm hungry at all, it must be spicy (but not anything greasy). For anything tummy related, I nibble crackers (if anything at all) and sip Vernors. In fact, the only time I can handle Vernors at all is if I'm nauseated. My mom only gave me Vernors when I was sick and it totally ruined Vernors for me. :tongue_smilie: