Menu

Games for a horse-themed birthday party?

I came on to post about birthday party games and have been completely distracted, LOL!

Any ideas for horsey birthday party games? I tried to come up with some ideas on my own, but other than "Pin The Tail On The Horse," I'm pretty well stumped. I thought of "Giddy-up and Whoa" as an alternative to Red Light-Green Light. Can you tell the creative juices aren't exactly flowing?:D

I will have lots of ages who will want to play, from 2-10. We can adapt for the littles but it will need to be somewhat interesting for the bigs, too. Any ideas would be ever so much appreciated!

Thanks!

Beth

We went to a horse-riding party. They played a game called "stomp the fly". Each kid had a black balloon tied to their ankle and they had to try to pop each others' balloons. The last balloon "standing" was the winner of a prize. It got pretty wild, but no one fell or got bumped... they just need some room to do this.

I believe the mom looked up horse-related crafts/games on the internet.

We did beading on safety pins, following a printed outline. I think we used 8 pins total, using different colors for each pin. When it was finished and being worn, it looked like a Palomino horse head. Very cute. The mom also made a simple cake in the shape of a horse's head. It required one 9x13 cake, cut into the shape of the head. Several colors of icing, some licorice for the mane, candy for the eyes and nostrils. All of the girls came dressed as cowgirls.

HTH!

Well, horseshoes came to mind first. Also, they could have a three legged horse race--ok they're kids but it's still a race. If the kids are young and you want to be silly you could have an announcer during the race. "...and coming late out of the gate is Susie & Lisa...moving into first is..." You get the idea. Horses like apples. If the party is outside you could have them bob for apples. It would also keep the kids cool if it's hot outside.

We had a cowboy party one year.

I took a large embroidery hoop and wrapped it in a rough rope. I was like a lasso but stiff so you could get it around the horses neck when you throw it. We had a childs rocking horse so we used that.

They sold tiny bales of hay at our local craft store. We used those as centerpieces on the table.

Horse races. I made stick horses out of old wrappping paper tubes, and made the heads from paper grocery bags.

You mark off a grid somewhere, like a driveway or large patio- tape works best, chalk can get rubbed off. You need the grid to be six squares wide, length doesn't matter, but I wouldn't make it more than ~8 sq.'s long.

Number the squares 1-6, mark a starting line, and finish line. Place two dice in a clear plastic cup, cover w/ another of same, and tape the cups together.

How to play: Six horses line up in front of their 1st square. The "announcer" shakes the dice cup, and when the dice stop, he calls out the numbers on the dice. Each horse whose number gets called, gets to move forward one square. If it's doubles, some lucky horse gets to move two squares. For instance if a 3 and 4 are rolled, then #3 and #4 move forward one square, if it is double 2's, #2 gets to move 2 squares.

First one to cross the finish line wins! The only downside to this game, is that only 6 at a time can play, but the kids loved it!!

Horse races. I made stick horses out of old wrappping paper tubes, and made the heads from paper grocery bags.

You mark off a grid somewhere, like a driveway or large patio- tape works best, chalk can get rubbed off. You need the grid to be six squares wide, length doesn't matter, but I wouldn't make it more than ~8 sq.'s long.

Number the squares 1-6, mark a starting line, and finish line. Place two dice in a clear plastic cup, cover w/ another of same, and tape the cups together.

How to play: Six horses line up in front of their 1st square. The "announcer" shakes the dice cup, and when the dice stop, he calls out the numbers on the dice. Each horse whose number gets called, gets to move forward one square. If it's doubles, some lucky horse gets to move two squares. For instance if a 3 and 4 are rolled, then #3 and #4 move forward one square, if it is double 2's, #2 gets to move 2 squares.

First one to cross the finish line wins! The only downside to this game, is that only 6 at a time can play, but the kids loved it!!

That sounds like a GREAT game, even if it's not a horse party!

• 3 years later...
Guest Edwards

For peace of mind, begin planning your horse party bash six to eight weeks in advance. This will allow you time to gather all the supplies that you need, including horse party decorations, gifts, and menu items.i think you select treasure hunt game on this party..because treasure hunt is famous now these days..

Edited by Edwards

• 3 months later...

Hi..........

Thanks allot for sharing a great birthday party and Game idea.

Can you share some more games likeTreasure hunt?

Edited by bionec