Menu

Explode the Code vs. MCP Phonics

carriecs

Hello. I have a 5 year old kindergartner that very much wants to have the very same things to do as his first grader brother does for our school days. My oldest spends more time on his daily lessons as he is at a different level in LA and math than my 5 year old. I thought finding a good phonics workbook would serve my little guy well - help him feel like he has his 'own' work but also that nice benefit of reinforcing what he's learning with his reading lessons.

I am undecided between these two phonics programs since we have no experience with either one. Any thoughts/experiences to share? :)

My 5 year old knows and can write his letters and we are on Lesson 40 in OPGTR, if that makes a difference for either program.

Thanks so much!!!

We do ETC 1, 2, and 3 then switch to MCP Plaid Phonics 2. That's worked for both of my oldest DSs.

I like the 9 page repetition with ETC. It's the same activities over and over per sound and that's great for little ones. With older kids, that gets old and they enjoy the variety and color of PP2.

I LOVE the ETC series. For a 5 year old who is just starting out, I would get the Before the Code series to start with. I like their flashcards too!

Enjoy your little people! :)

:iagree: My 5 year-old just finished the 1st book of Before the Code. It has just the right amount of writing for that age. He's retaining the information really well. Eventually, I'll incorporate Phonics Pathways along with ETC because I think a separate phonics program is needed.

We've been loving Explode the Code, and have used A-C, 1-4, 4 1/2, and now 5. I bought MCP Plaid Phonics 2 just to try out, but so far my daughter and I prefer ETC. MCP Phonics does look much more colorful and interesting, I'm not sure why my daughter doesn't like it more, but we'll give it another try soon.

• 2 weeks later...

My 6 year old son has enjoyed ETC and has done A,B,C and 1-5 (the last is in progress).

We did the Primers and ETC 1-3 orally with "finger tracing" but no writing on his part as I did not want any potential handwriting frustrations leading to any reading/phonics frustrations. For us, that was a good call methinks.

Bill

I have another kid who really doesn't like the look of ETC at all. We got MCP and she LOVES it. This is a kid who grumbles about practically everything, so that's a big deal, lol. I know all kids are different, but it has been such a huge hit here. Could you show your DS the online samples of both (provided you haven't already ordered)?