Menu

Having trouble sorting out college--guidance counselors?

Annie N

My daughter took dual enrollment classes in a CC and now she has graduated (high school), she is there full-time working towards her AA. She took so many courses that she will be just about finished at the end of this year, and they will accept courses from her 4-year school to give her an AA.

So.... the problem is that we are really pretty clueless about the whole college thing. What we need is someone like a guidance counselor who specializes in this sort of thing so that we can figure out a plan (which my daughter is panicking about not having!!!!!), who will help us over the phone, as we are far away from anywhere, and we could pay her.

The problem is, we can't really get the sort of information we need from the books we have been reading. We need to be able to talk with a person who knows about this stuff.

I figure there has to be someone out there who does this, because I just don't even know where to start.

Any help or advice or even just moral support would be very helpful. She's taking the SATs in November. The whole thing has been a bit of a mess because we had a plan and it got messed up.

Thanks very much!!!!!!

What about your CC? They should have guidance counselors who know about transferring.

Also, do you have a 4-year college in mind? You should be able to call Admissions at that school and talk to a counselor.

The best way to prepare to transfer is to look at some 4-year schools where she would like to attend, then look at their requirements for transfer. BTW usually, the SAT is not necessary to transfer.

There are many people here experienced w/college admissions so feel free to ask more specific questions here!

Edited by Jenn in CA

AFAICT, the "good" guidance counselor is on maternity leave for at least 6 months, and the one who is left is the one who is... not so good, like students left with one required course they didn't know about, at the point when they thought they would graduate.

Plus, it's obviously very small, and serves what is mainly a retirement community, so not many are planning to go to 4-year schools.

Anyway, we have a next step. We are going to call three colleges we pick with pins, and see what they say about how it all works. One big state school, one small private school, and one Catholic college. This will hopefully give my daughter some idea of how this all works. (And me, since she is the oldest of 4. And I thought supervising their driving after only 6 hours of instruction was rough!)

Thanks so much, esp because I am thinking there might be a way to call a different CC and see if they have more experienced GCs, as this cc is linked up with some others.