Menu

Need help simplifying 7th grader's scheduling

Pam B

Okay, here goes nothing... I need help simplifying ds's schedule. He's in 7th grade, age 12.

Here are his subjects, along with the time he said he felt each would take. Daily subjects are in red. Other subjects state how many times a week he does them.. (ex: 3x)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bible

Prayer Journal (15 min.)

Write Upon My Heart (20 min.)

Physical Education

President's Challenge (30 min.)

200 Situps (5 min.)*

100 pushups (5 min.)*

*Don't worry- He doesn't actually DO trhis many- it's just he program's title.

Health

Today's Health (with workbook) 30 min.

Math

Saxon Math (1.5 hrs)

Life of Fred Percent & Fractions 25 min. (1x)

Logic

Building Thinking Skills 20 min. (3x)

Scratch Your Brain Where It Itches (2-3x)

Grammar

Growing with Grammar (30 min.)

Shurley English 7 computer cd (15 min.)

Spelling / Word Study

Soaring with Spelling & Vocabulary (20 min.)

Megawords (20 min.)

Reading Comprehension

Trails Beyond (15 min.) (3x)

Typing

Mavis Beacon (20 min.) (3x)

Science

Apologia General Science (30-45 min.)

History & Geography

Parley's Universal History on the Basis of Geography (3x)

Timeline (15 min.) (3x) *Although we haven't started this yet.

Geography Drawing (15 min.) (3-4x)

Online Geography Quiz (shappardsoftware.com) (15 min. (3x)

Music and Art

Harmony Fine Arts (30-45 min.) (1x)

Foreign Language

Rosetta Stone's Spanish level 1 homeschool *Haven't start- just received today. By looking at the schedule (briefly) it looks to be daily.

Special Interest

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (book & DVD) We do this in the evening together. (1-1.5 hrs.) The time is based on a guess from how long we usually draw for, although it is his choice.

Reading- He does on his own, so I do not feel the need to schedule it. He reads for around an hour or more daily.

--------------------------------------------------------

Here is the problem: I really WANT to simplify. I don't WANT him to have hours upon hours of work to do. However, I just can't seem cut anything!!

He struggles in spelling & grammar- that is why I have him doing so much in it.

Logic- he's never taken before- Hence the lower level book.

History & Goegraphy he really enjoys doing, and actually helped me decide on the items that are listed.

Science, & math- well, he must take that!

He loves art- as you probably can tell.

We all know the importance of learning a foreign language- especially spanish! Besides, a lot of his friends speak it!

Soooooooooooooooo.............. Go on- tell me I'm bonkers! :iagree:

His daily items should be done able to be in the morning. IF he can stop himself from chatting it up with his brother! ;)

All Right--- Leaving it up to you all...

:bigear:pb

Okay, here goes nothing... I need help simplifying ds's schedule. He's in 7th grade, age 12.

Here are his subjects, along with the time he said he felt each would take. Daily subjects are in red. Other subjects state how many times a week he does them.. (ex: 3x)

Bible

Prayer Journal (15 min.)

Physical Education

President's Challenge (30 min.) Not sure what this is.

200 Situps (5 min.)* My son does situps and pushups too:D he's in a Cadet class. (think army)

100 pushups (5 min.)*

Health

Today's Health (with workbook) 30 min. I would let this go.

Math

Saxon Math (1.5 hrs)

Logic

Building Thinking Skills 20 min. (3x) Can you do only one three time a week?

Grammar

Shurley English 7 computer cd (15 min.) let this go.

Spelling / Word Study

Soaring with Spelling & Vocabulary (20 min.)Pick one or the other.

Megawords (20 min.)

Reading Comprehension

Typing

Science

History & Geography

Geography Drawing (15 min.) (3-4x)Does he have to have this as well? If not I'd let it go.

Online Geography Quiz (shappardsoftware.com) (15 min. (3x) Let this go.

Music and Art

Foreign Language

Rosetta Stone's Spanish level 1 homeschool *Haven't start- just received today. By looking at the schedule (briefly) it looks to be daily.

Special Interest

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (book & DVD) We do this in the evening together. (1-1.5 hrs.) The time is based on a guess from how long we usually draw for, although it is his choice.

Reading- He does on his own, so I do not feel the need to schedule it. He reads for around an hour or more daily.

My son struggle with spelling as well, apart from his regular spelling program I added in copywork via LLATL. I think piling more, when they struggle can be frustrating.

Here is my 7th grades schedule.

Math-Bob Jones

Bible-the study of James via My Father's World. We do this together as a family.

Spelling-Saxon Phonics Intervention

History-Bob Jones

Science- Sonlight 5

Main Grammar-Saxon Grammar 3xwk

LLATL Tan book. I'm having him use LLATL for copywork, reinforce grammar and since I'm not using a formal reading program this year (last year we used CLE) for reading.

Writing-LLATL and WWE3

Elemental Greek-Once done with the Greek Code Cracker

He is also part of Alert Cadet and AWANA which requires memory verses and book-work.

HTH :001_smile:

Edited by Homeschooling6

I would get rid of the health, do less of the logic, Saxon math only (drop the Life of Fred), Just do one English, Drop the reading comprehension- you could do this by simply having him tell you about what he has read- you will be able to see what he understood.

Does he seem overwhelmed?? If not you could leave it, but it seems like a lot to me.

Here is my 7th graders schedule:

Lial's BCM math (Pre-Algebra)

Rod & Staff language

Henle Latin

Apologia General Science

History- US history using various sources

Literature- Just lots of classic reading books (usually history/time period themed)

Logic (just ordering)

You have a lot of doubling up. If you really want a shorter day you're just going to have to drop some of it. Another thing that works better for us is working longer in some subjects instead of jumping around so much.

I also feel much better about plodding through tough subjects slowly and doing lots of extra work in subjects they like. Really how can he avoid spelling and grammar he is practicing in his journal, history, and science, as well as by reading good books.

Bible

Prayer Journal (15 min.)

Write Upon My Heart (20 min.) Are these both journaling activites? Could he switch days? Or just do one?

Physical Education

200 Situps (5 min.)*

100 pushups (5 min.)*

Health

Today's Health (with workbook) 30 min. Why health? Do you feel like he is learning here? Is it because it is required? Is it mostly busy work? Could you skip parts? Do it once or twice a week?

Math

Saxon Math (1.5 hrs)

Life of Fred Percent & Fractions 25 min. (1x) You could drop LOF. and 1 1/2 hours seems like a long time.

Logic

Scratch Your Brain Where It Itches (2-3x) You could do these every other day, or just pick one. You could even do the other when you finish, but I would need to cut down on the books we were using every week.

Grammar

Shurley English 7 computer cd (15 min.) I'd pick one.

Spelling / Word Study

Megawords (20 min.) Again, I'd pick one.

Reading Comprehension

Trails Beyond (15 min.) (3x) Does he really still need reading comprehension? Could it be done once a week?

Typing

Science

History & Geography

Music and Art

Foreign Language

Special Interest

But here is a schedule using most of your things-

Bible 20 min

Math Saxon M-Th/ LOF Fri 1.5 hrs

Grammar 30 min

Spelling 20 min

Typing and Logic M-Th/Harmony Arts Fri 30 min

Science M-Th/ Reading Comp Fri 60 min

Spanish 20 min

History M-Th/ Health Fri 45 min

That gives you a little over 5 hours of seat work, with Fridays being lighter more fun subjects. And we've cut down to 8 subjects a day. He still has P.E. and Drawing and Reading, but I didn't count those.

Bible

Prayer Journal (15 min.)

Write Upon My Heart (20 min.) pick one

Physical Education

200 Situps (5 min.)*

100 pushups (5 min.)*

Health

Today's Health (with workbook) 30 min. use the President's challenge as health. Does your state require Health in high school? If so add it in at that time.

Math

Saxon Math (1.5 hrs)

Life of Fred Percent & Fractions 25 min. (1x) 1.5 hours in math? I'd limit the time to what he can do in one hour. If he enjoys math and reading he could do LOF on his own.

Logic

Building Thinking Skills 20 min. (3x) Can you do one book, then the other? Haven't seen these don't know the layout.

Grammar

Shurley English 7 computer cd (15 min.) again pick one

Spelling / Word Study

Megawords (20 min.) pick one, we're using Megawords

Reading Comprehension

Trails Beyond (15 min.) (3x) agree, drop this

Typing

Mavis Beacon (20 min.) (3x) once he reaches a certain proficiency stop the lessons and just type within the context of subjects.

Science

History & Geography

Online Geography Quiz (shappardsoftware.com) (15 min. (3x) allow him to do the online in his own time.

Music and Art

Foreign Language

Special Interest

--------------------------------------------------------

Here is the problem: I really WANT to simplify. I don't WANT him to have hours upon hours of work to do. However, I just can't seem cut anything!!

He struggles in spelling & grammar- that is why I have him doing so much in it.

Logic- he's never taken before- Hence the lower level book.

History & Goegraphy he really enjoys doing, and actually helped me decide on the items that are listed.

Science, & math- well, he must take that!

He loves art- as you probably can tell.

We all know the importance of learning a foreign language- especially spanish! Besides, a lot of his friends speak it!

Soooooooooooooooo.............. Go on- tell me I'm bonkers! :iagree:

His daily items should be done able to be in the morning. IF he can stop himself from chatting it up with his brother! ;)

All Right--- Leaving it up to you all...

I would removed the redundancies and busy work. You're doubled up on too many subjects. We're only in our 2nd week of 7th grade and I just modified our schedule. We're trying a block type schedule for a few weeks to see how it goes. My ds13 need more time in some subjects this year.

Here's what we're doing:

Mon/Wed Block A

Read-aloud time (we always start our day that way)

Memory work

Latin

Algebra

Asian Studies (science is 2nd semester)

Logic (religion is 2nd semester)

Archaeology writing (we're using it for part of our writing program this year)

Tues/Thurs (block B)

read-aloud time

memory work

Megawords/WWE

Japanese

Algebra

Literature

PE

Friday (block c)

read-aloud time

memory work

Latin

Megawords

Asian Studies

Literature

Art (music 2nd semester)

HTH

I would also cut out Logic and Health. Neither are super necessary for 7th grade in my opinion and logic skills can be honed through other subjects.

I think 5- 5.5 hours a day is not too much work for a 7th grader, I'd say it's just about right and it could even go 6 hours since you have PE in there. I never feel like we are doing enough but I think we get at least 5 hours in not including PE.

Our 7th grade schedule looks like this:

Spelling - 3X wk- 20-30 minutes

Latin- 2x wk 1.5 hours

Math- 5x wk 1 hour

Science- 2x wk 1-2 hours

Philosophy 1x wk 1 hour

Vocab 2x week 30-45 min

TOG (history, writing, geography and literature) 5x week 2+ hours

We also block. Essentially assigning certain says to certain subjects (ones that are not every day subjects).

Read Aloud is at night before bed and they have free reading time any time during the day and they can read in their beds as late as they want (within reason).

Blah! < that's how I feel! I feel like sending them all (3) on the bus and sitting back and kicking up my feet... But that'll never happen.

So........... Anyone want a few students??

I wish I wouldn't worry so much about whether or not he/they do or don't *really* need this or that!

The pressure is just killing me!

AHH!

:chillpill: <<< I know, I need to- but I jusy can't. Even venting isn't helping me! We're only on our 4th week! I usually don't start to feel like this until Christmas! What's the deal?

We started homeschooling in 2003, so it's not like I'm super new to this!

:ack2::banghead:

Blah! < that's how I feel! I feel like sending them all (3) on the bus and sitting back and kicking up my feet... But that'll never happen.

So........... Anyone want a few students??

I wish I wouldn't worry so much about whether or not he/they do or don't *really* need this or that!

AHH!

:chillpill: <<< I know, I need to- but I jusy can't. Even venting isn't helping me! We're only on our 4th week! I usually don't start to feel like this until Christmas! What's the deal?

We started homeschooling in 2003, so it's not like I'm super new to this!

:ack2::banghead:

Pam, something I had to learn, was give it to Jesus. I take one week, one day and one lesson at a time. I know it's not easy. I have a 7th grade son using Bob Jones Math 4 and can't spell. There are days I feel like I am completely failing him. It's not like we didn't do school when he was younger, so what is the problem :banghead:. I don't know. What I do know is God, is in control. He will see us through these tough homeschooling years. Don't get me wrong, I love teaching my children but when my son is so hard to teach it can be extra hard.

I also have to remember that my ultimate goal is to raise children who love the Lord. I want them to be 'salt' and 'light' of this world. To make good godly decisions. This keeps me going, with teaching my children. I know public school is not the answer for us.

My mother-in-law is so encouraging. She thanks me for homeschooling the children and teaching them about God.

This is just a thought:

I don't know what level Building Thinking Skills you are doing. Just to let you know, there are only three levels. The books repeat themselves just a little harder. I would put him in the level three books. He will catch on fine. Once he does that, you won't need scratch your brain because level three will challenge him.

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

You've got a lot of double coverage.

Bible - this looks fine

Prayer Journal (15 min.)

Physical Education - this looks fine

200 Situps (5 min.)*

100 pushups (5 min.)*

*Don't worry- He doesn't actually DO this many- it's just he program's title.

Health - does he really need health as a subject?

Today's Health (with workbook) 30 min.

Math - 1.5 hrs daily is a lot of time for math, could he maybe work for one hour on a timer and then start where he left off the next day. I would plan on no more than one hour/day for math. If you still want to fit in LOF 1x/week then choose one day to do LOF for 30 minutes and then do Saxon for the other 30 minutes. Alternatively you could switch to a math program that doesn't take as long to do as Saxon.

Saxon Math (1.5 hrs)

Logic - could you maybe drop this to 3x/week total? Maybe do BTS 2x/week and SYBWII 1x/week.

Grammar - 45 minutes daily is a lot. Either drop one program or do them on alternating days. I'd plan on no more than 30 minutes daily for grammar.

Shurley English 7 computer cd (15 min.)

Spelling / Word Study - two spelling programs daily seems a bit much. Can you do them on alternating days?

Megawords (20 min.)

Reading Comprehension

Typing

Science - I would do health or science, not both.

History & Geography

Music and Art

Foreign Language

Special Interest

=========================================

Here's what my 7th grader does:

free reading - 30 minutes daily

guitar - 20 minutes daily with 30 minute lesson on Wednesdays in addition to her practice time

15 minute morning math session daily - MUS Prealgebra

Spelling Power - about 10 minutes daily

Oak Meadow history and English (intertwined) - 60 minutes daily, sometimes in one session, sometimes in two

science - 30 minutes, 3x/week, art of construction

20 minute afternoon math session daily - MUS Prealgebra

readaloud - 30 minutes daily

free writing project - 30 minutes, 2x/week

I realize not everyone wants to test- but I have my kids tested (achievement tests) every two years. I feel so much more peace of mind when I see so many Post High School or 10th and up levels on their results. :)

I know the tests are NOT an accurate gauge, but it helps you to realize they are not way behind their peers. Maybe it will help you relax a bit.....

My ds12 (7th grade) is doing the following:

Math: Saxon 8/7 (1 hour/day)

Grammar: Growing with Grammar (30 min/day)

Vocabulary: Wordly Wise (20-30 min/day)

Literature: Lightning Lit (30 min/day)

Spelling: Spelling Workout (15 min/day)

Science: Apologia's Physical Science (1 hour/day)

History: K12's The Human Odyssey (45 - 60 min/day)

PE: Swimming and a homeschool gym class weekly

Spanish: A one-on-one class, 1 hour/week + homework

Piano: A one-on-one lesson, 1 hour/week + daily practice

No structured Art at this time, although this may change

He is also taking four co-op classes: a Study Skills class, a Mark Twain Compare/Contrast literature class, a public speaking class, and an African-American class where they're learning about slavery and the underground railroad (at least at this point). These are all one hour a week and the only one with homework is the Mark Twain class.

So my ds's core work is about 5 1/2 hours a day (including homework from other classes). As long as he doesn't waste too much time :glare: (a challenge for him), he's done at a reasonable time each day.

Pam

I would get rid of the health, do less of the logic, Saxon math only (drop the Life of Fred), Just do one English, Drop the reading comprehension- you could do this by simply having him tell you about what he has read- you will be able to see what he understood.

Does he seem overwhelmed?? If not you could leave it, but it seems like a lot to me.

:iagree:

Seems like a lot to me, too. Here's my 7th grader's schedule, which works out to about 5 hrs/day M-Th, and 3 hrs on Friday:

Math

English (MCT LA + spelling),

Spanish (2 days), Typing & Handwriting (2 days)

Literature (often a read aloud during lunch)

History

Science

On Fridays we do art in the morning instead of English & Spanish, and we take the afternoon off for hiking, museum visits, field trips, etc.

I dropped Logic and replaced it with chess, which DS plays with his dad in the evenings. I replaced formal Geography with Geopuzzles and other games, mapwork during history, and map skills during hiking/geocaching. PE is Tae Kwon Do three nights/wk, plus hiking, biking, trampolining, etc in his spare time.

Jackie

AHH!

I usually have to repeat things like this to my self-

There are only so many hours a day, I can't do it all.

In fact if we don't do it all, we cover what is left so much better.

There is no way to teach everything.

What I most want him to learn is ___________ (I usually insert something like- to be a man I am proud of).

It is hard for me to model the important things when we are all stressed about _______________ (logic, or math, or school in general).

The important things are ______________ (kindness, peace, balance, ???)

Then when I sit down with the schedule again it is a little easier to find what is important and cut some of the rest. Then we have time for enjoying our family, or volunteering, or digging into our passions (those are the important things ;))

I'm just frazzled at this point. You are all right though. And I guess I knew I was piling it on too much- or I wouldn't have posted.. I think I'll just have him do what we have listed as his daily things right now, and then sit down with him and go through all of it between now and Sunday. So we can be ready to go again Monday.