Menu

Strayer-Upton Practical Arithmetics ??s

InHisGrip

I jumped the Singapore ship this year and headed over to Strayer Upton. My ds 13 went through Singapore 6 and all coresponding Word Problem books. He scores off the charts in mathematical reasoning but is not strong in computation when tested. I probably should have done more drill work. Thus the jump. After watching ds work through Pre-Algebra, I decided that I would try a second experiment on my next two dc.

I really think the Robinson Curriculumn people have hit the nail on the head. Learning the facts rotely before complete understanding is not a bad thing. The understanding will come with maturity and exposure later on.

Strayer Upton gives me the computation practice that I believe is needed during the 3-6 grade years in real world applications.

Ask me in three years and I will have great feed back. I will have traveled both sides of the fence.

Note: I am using Math Mammoth Blue series for some geometry and metric skills that S&U do not cover. A child can pick these skills up quite easily later on. MM is not necesary. I just thought it looked fun and wanted a change from Singapore. For us it is Strayed Upton 4 days a week and MM 1 day.

Cheryl - thanks so much for your response. What is strange is that I was trying to decide between a traditional, old-fashioned math like R&S or SU and a newer Asian-style like Math Mammoth. Or, I was going to go with traditional and just get a good, inexpensive book on Amazon (didn't know what that was yet - just hoping that there was one) that would give ideas on how to teach concepts with manipulatives and games. I didn't think of combining SU or R&S with MM. Personally, I could never understand the people who combined maths. I always thought it a bit of overkill. Now, I am understanding a bit more. And, the way you described seems simple enough. Can you elaborate a bit on how you supplement (do you just go straight through the MM text or choose concepts that you feel your child needs more help with?)