Menu

HOD users...Do ANY of you use a filing or workbox system...

Neesy

with Heart of Dakota and if so, HOW and what does that "look" like? I have been a "fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants" very eclectic homeschooler for fifteen years! Granted, my oldest son is taking all advanced highschool classes and three college classes his junior year and my oldest graduated highschool and is in her freshman year of college. She was on the honor roll the whole way through highschool and is doing great in college. I also have a sixth grader that loves science, art, loves to read, and is doing well in all her subjects. SO...........I guess they still did/are doing well even with their scatterbrained mama. LOL! BUT....... I have HAD it (with ME)! Plus, with these last two little guys, I am going to HAVE to be very organized and have a flow, because if I don't....they are GONE...sometimes mentally (zoning out while waiting on me) or literally...gone! LOL :o

I was thinking workboxes would be good for them to "see" their work getting done, but how do I do it with HOD?? Can it be done or am I wasting my time? My head is spinning with all the multitude of ideas I've been reading about, so I thought maybe if I asked for those specifically using HOD it might set off the lightbulbs in my head! I tend to be an all or nothing kind of person.......I'm actually a perfectionist with ADD! LOL :lol:

We don't really have an issue with needing things compact or not having enough room for workboxes. I am leaning toward the plastic drawer-type however, just cuz I don't like the stuff sticking out the tops of the shoebox types and how the books "bend". I know that would drive me crazy! lol Just me, no offense to all of you that use the original sytem!:D

Anywaaaay.....we are using Little Hearts for His Glory.

Thanks so much!!

Blessings,

Denise

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I do! :D Here is what I do with LHFHG:

Filing Folders: Made copies of all the Ryhmes in MOtion and filed them under the appropriate week, also under each week have his phonics sheets and math sheets. I put any art supplies for the week in baggies, labeled and filed. I have other sheets from different programs filed.

Worboxes: I have Box 1 through 12, but I use other things besides HOD

Box 1- math

Box2- phonics

Box3- Art/Music/ Geo rotation

Box4- Bible study and music

Box5-Reading About History

Box6-fine motor skills

Box7- Storytime

Box8- FLL/ Latin

Box9- Science/Thinking Games rotation

Box10- playdo/legos center

Box11- T/Th French, other days free

Box12- Elemental Science

I do! :D Here is what I do with LHFHG:

Filing Folders: Made copies of all the Ryhmes in MOtion and filed them under the appropriate week, also under each week have his phonics sheets and math sheets. I put any art supplies for the week in baggies, labeled and filed. I have other sheets from different programs filed.

Worboxes: I have Box 1 through 12, but I use other things besides HOD

Box 1- math

Box2- phonics

Box3- Art/Music/ Geo rotation

Box4- Bible study and music

Box5-Reading About History

Box6-fine motor skills

Box7- Storytime

Box8- FLL/ Latin

Box9- Science/Thinking Games rotation

Box10- playdo/legos center

Box11- T/Th French, other days free

Box12- Elemental Science

WOW! How long does YOUR school day take??

Thank you for posting this, I can SEE it now!! The Light bulb is finally ON! I never thought of having the file AND the workboxes. I kept thinking it had to be one or the other. I had seen where people loaded the files, like they loaded the drawers, but just today I ran across the 36 week filing system. YIKES! Hope I can keep up lol! This is probably exactly what I need, though.

I'm actually "seeing" the filing system as a "teacher box" that the dc don't get in, but that *I* use to fill their workboxes from...right? At least at this age? We also have an "in bin" for completed work and they each have a three-ring binder divided by subjects for graded work. Anything I'm missing??

Thanks again!

Blessings:),

Denise

I use it sort of, but not as intended.:tongue_smilie:

I only have one child and I use them for independent and project boxes. If dd has the independent box in History to do, then I put everything she needs, including the directions in there. Same with science, poetry (her poem copy will go in there), etc. So for science her supplies will go in there with her books. But that's it. It's more of an organizer for me and her.

I haven't been able to get my planning done on a regular basis with living far out and having a couple outside activities. We have a lot of driving to do. So it requires almost too much time to use them that way.

I've also used it as storage for her books. One bin per subject and planned it that way, but that didn't last long. Too time consuming and at the end of the day, I don't want to deal with it.

I did Little Hearts last year and used a modified workbox system. Some things were the same box number every day (like Bible reading was first, math second, snack was fourth, etc.) but we also did science and reading on a different schedule. Basically, I just opened the guide in the morning while kids were doing morning chores, stuffed a book or activity in each box, and we were good to go. On more organized days, I filled the boxes the day before.

I do..and we did Little Hearts last year. This year, we are doing Beyond and this is how i split the boxes (we only have 8 because too many tends to overwhelm my ds).

Box 1 - Math and the Beyond Guide

Box 2 - History, Science (or geog), and Bible verse/CD

Box 3 - Poetry copywork book, Spelling word cards, and whiteboard for spelling

Box 4 - Emerging Reader book, Storytime book, and journal if needed

Box 5 - Phonics (Explode the Code)

Box 6 - CLE Reading (we are beta testing and DS enjoys it)

Box 7 - Elemental Science - for fun (ds loves studying the animals)

Box 8 - Our elective - Music, French, or Health - Sometimes Art or Draw Write Now

I do not use the typical bins for workboxes. My father-in-law made a wooden shelf for me last year and i use that. The top is made into mail slot type spaces and the bottom is more like cubby holes. I will add a pic if I can find one.

IMG_7343_1.jpg

Edited by Tree House Academy

I used workboxes for HOD Little Hearts. I just had a drawer for each box. The guide itself sat on top of all the boxes.

Drawer one had my storybook bibles and history spine books (so first box on the HOD guide materials).

Drawer two had my handwriting program and the Do it Carefully/Find the Answers workbooks.

Drawer three had our phonics program materials.

Drawer four had our math program.

Drawer five had the verse of the week printed and placed in this box. Our CD was loaded up to the computer but for a while it was in that box as well.

Drawer six was extra box materials (always held the science book) and held other materials that were needed for that day or week such as art or science experiment stuff. Baggies by day would have been neat. I didn't go to that extent but it would be nice.

Drawer seven had a rhymes in motion card (I just used the guide though making copies of them would have been nice) and our read aloud book. In time that read aloud book just sat on top of the guide since we used it daily and it was small. Rhymes in motion sort of dropped out of use so that drawer turned into other things for us.

Each drawer would have a train with hook and loop and they had a laminated page to attach the trains as we finished each task. That was a really hit for a while. Over time the boxes just turned into a way for me to organize our HOD materials more than a guide for them.

Guest mrsjamiesouth
WOW! How long does YOUR school day take??

I'm actually "seeing" the filing system as a "teacher box" that the dc don't get in, but that *I* use to fill their workboxes from...right? At least at this age? We also have an "in bin" for completed work and they each have a three-ring binder divided by subjects for graded work. Anything I'm missing??

Thanks again!

Blessings:),

Denise

We usually start around 9am and we are done by 1pm most days. If I only had ds6 then we would be done in 2 hours, but I have to give him some "busy" work so I can do work with my 10yo who is using Preparing. I am happy with this, last year we couldn't finish before 4pm most days.

I filed the papers for me as the teacher and the workboxes are for the kids. On Sunday night I pull out the Weekly folders, fill up their workboxes with Monday's sheets, and I review any extras we might need (glue sticks, colored paper.) On Monday morning we start school with Box #1. If somebody finishes their box early and I am with another child they know to go get the next box. This works better with my older son as he has more independent work.

Basically, I just opened the guide in the morning while kids were doing morning chores, stuffed a book or activity in each box, and we were good to go. On more organized days, I filled the boxes the day before.

This is GOOD to know! lol.

Thanks so much for sharing! :)

Blessings,

Denise

I filed the papers for me as the teacher and the workboxes are for the kids. On Sunday night I pull out the Weekly folders, fill up their workboxes with Monday's sheets, and I review any extras we might need (glue sticks, colored paper.) On Monday morning we start school with Box #1. If somebody finishes their box early and I am with another child they know to go get the next box. This works better with my older son as he has more independent work.

SUPER, just what I was thinking! Makes so much sense, thank you again!!! :D

Same here, my book did not come with an activity list.

How early did you start the first book? I'm doing it with my 23 month old. We basically do the fingerplay, letter and number of the week during breakfast. :) I'm amazed at how much he is learning. The rest of the day we do active play.

Edited by atara

Yes, the lists are on the files section of the yahoo group. However, the LHTH one I have been making as we go from the template that someone on the yahoo group used for their supply list. I am up to unit 11. When I complete all 34 units in the supply list I will post it or I can post as I go, but it will only have 11 units right now.