Menu

Accountable Kids Program

Celia

I know the subject of chore charts comes up now and then on here, so I just wanted to share our success with this program! I was really hesitant to go with it (because of $), but my gosh, was it ever worth it!

This morning, I got up a little late, and found my 6yos and 4yod all dressed and done their morning chores. Breakfast eaten, vitamins taken, teeth brushed, and dishes put on the counter. Roll back a month, and this would have taken me a good 45minutes of getting after them and helping them.

My son gets a privilege pass for getting through his school work without complaint, and today was a hit, even though I could tell he really wasn't into some of it.

Then they wanted to earn a bonus buck to get a treat at the store when we went to the park, and voila, they cleaned out my extremely messy van. Yesterday they dusted, cleaned up the backyard, took out the trash, took the recycling to the garage, and watered the plants. They were still wanting to do more chores, but I ran out of stuff for them to do!

I'm sure there are cheaper ways to accomplish all this, but I love how structured this program is. Keeps me on track. My kids are loving it.

So just in case anyone out there is on the hunt for something like this, I thought I'd post how pleased I am with this program! (you can also get a coupon code through HS buyers co-op)

I LOVE this program too but couldn't justify the cost for our family size so I made my own version. Cost me a TON less :D It's been working really well for us so far and the kids enjoy seeing their chores get finished. I have the details on my blog if anyone is curious how I did it myself.

We love it too. Although, like the pp, I bought the book and then made my own wall plaques, chore cards, and tickets. I'm especially glad I started it before the baby got here. It's so nice to know that I can now count on the biggers to have all their stuff done without any redirection from me.

And I should add, it's also worked wonderfully on our DS with severe autism and our typical 3yo. It looks daunting, but it's really a simple program to use.

Wow... I have googled online and not found a single discussion about Accountable Kids anywhere! I didn't think anyone really knew about it! I am so glad to hear that people are using it with success! My husband and I were looking to implement some kind of chore system, and although it was pricey, we decided to go with AK. But we have yet to start it because we ran into a problem that we didn't know how to resolve. I would LOVE feedback!

Here is our problem. We don't know how to assign ticket values. The first five suggestions for ticketed activities in the book are all screen related (TV, video games, computer, etc.). The next items on the list are things we would not really want to limit, i.e. arts and crafts or playing in the park. I can't imagine not letting my kids do art projects or go to the library if they didn't have any tickets left! So... we kind of feel that screen time is really the best thing to earn or limit, but yet I don't want the whole program to be about TV and computer! To me, that places way too much importance on screen time -- almost glorifying it and making it the oh-so-attractive forbidden fruit.

Am I making any sense here? I am quite curious to see how other people assigned tickets and how it has worked. Has anyone considered the issues I raised? Or am I just making too big a deal over it? Please share how you assign your tickets! Thanks!

Wow... I have googled online and not found a single discussion about Accountable Kids anywhere! I didn't think anyone really knew about it! I am so glad to hear that people are using it with success! My husband and I were looking to implement some kind of chore system, and although it was pricey, we decided to go with AK. But we have yet to start it because we ran into a problem that we didn't know how to resolve. I would LOVE feedback!

Here is our problem. We don't know how to assign ticket values. The first five suggestions for ticketed activities in the book are all screen related (TV, video games, computer, etc.). The next items on the list are things we would not really want to limit, i.e. arts and crafts or playing in the park. I can't imagine not letting my kids do art projects or go to the library if they didn't have any tickets left! So... we kind of feel that screen time is really the best thing to earn or limit, but yet I don't want the whole program to be about TV and computer! To me, that places way too much importance on screen time -- almost glorifying it and making it the oh-so-attractive forbidden fruit.

Am I making any sense here? I am quite curious to see how other people assigned tickets and how it has worked. Has anyone considered the issues I raised? Or am I just making too big a deal over it? Please share how you assign your tickets! Thanks!

We have the same problem as well. I have a hard time with what to use the tickets for because we limit T.V. time to Friday night movie and we don't own electronic games. I know that AK doesn't recommend saving tickets but if my children earn 15 tickets then next time we go to Wendy's they can have a frosty :001_smile: Once a week they can use a ticket to stay up 10 minutes longer. 3 tickets, mom will read them a chapter from their current read (not read aloud but a book that they are reading). On the weekend they may use up to 3 ticket for 20 minutes on the computer. Each ticket is worth 10 minutes of computer time and they can only use up to three.

Edited by Homeschooling6

Can I ask you all a question? How do you remember/keep up with all of the charts? I have tried so many systems from chore charts to marbles in the jar to check lists in their rooms and they work great until *I* quit following through b/c life gets in the way...work, sick, cleaning, etc. My dd is GREAT about doing what she's supposed to, but my nearly 8 year old is my resistant child.

That is a tough one.

I wouldn't limit outside time, but I wouldn't hesitate to remove the privilege of doing something special. It's hard, especially when a family activity. However, if behavior isn't becoming and it reflects badly on the family morale, missing a family activity, may really make the child think again. Same with arts and crafts, if you can't behave appropriately, that is a privilege that can be removed. I wouldn't remove the school ones, but extra that kids do on their own time.

For us, there are a few things. The girls have pets in their rooms. If they aren't behaving, I have told them they lose that privilege, and they become family pets, not K's, or E's, or M's pet. That motivates them to be good about their care. For our kids, we have teens in the mix, loss of cell phone, facebook privilege, movie night with the family, does work. The little one, just the loss of *anything* whether she is into it or not, changes the attitude. For the eldest, ds16, loss of his music really smartens him up. The thought of losing his mp3, or little stereo due to bad behavior, we only did it once. he's been much better.

We get a weekly treat too, so that is another thing that could be used. If you go for a weekly ice cream, bad behavior could be dealt with that.

It needn't be all about the screens. But those are the biggest privileges.

The only things I limit are screentime. I also don't assign time limits. There is no tv during the school day or after 7pm. I would never limit outside time or crafts. They are however expected to finish their chores before they can do these things. I pretty much follow a system of having a ticket hanging if their chores are done, meaning they are free to watch tv, play computer, or the Wii, or taking it away if their chores aren't done (or we have some other behavior issue). I use the system for chores mostly. I like to use the 10 day reward cards for behavior issues, or a privilege pass. The Bonus Bucks have become a big deal too, because the kids can help me with all kinds of extra chores around the house and make spending money.

That is a tough one.

I wouldn't limit outside time, but I wouldn't hesitate to remove the privilege of doing something special. It's hard, especially when a family activity. However, if behavior isn't becoming and it reflects badly on the family morale, missing a family activity, may really make the child think again. Same with arts and crafts, if you can't behave appropriately, that is a privilege that can be removed. I wouldn't remove the school ones, but extra that kids do on their own time.

For us, there are a few things. The girls have pets in their rooms. If they aren't behaving, I have told them they lose that privilege, and they become family pets, not K's, or E's, or M's pet. That motivates them to be good about their care. For our kids, we have teens in the mix, loss of cell phone, facebook privilege, movie night with the family, does work. The little one, just the loss of *anything* whether she is into it or not, changes the attitude. For the eldest, ds16, loss of his music really smartens him up. The thought of losing his mp3, or little stereo due to bad behavior, we only did it once. he's been much better.

We get a weekly treat too, so that is another thing that could be used. If you go for a weekly ice cream, bad behavior could be dealt with that.

It needn't be all about the screens. But those are the biggest privileges.

The children do their chores so it's not that they don't or they need major motivation, it's just with the tickets, when we don't allow a whole lot of game/T.V/computer time it makes it hard to use them ;) My children are all 12 and under. They don't have FB, cell phones and such.

I don't want the tickets to = money stuff either. The frosty or a $3.00 gift certificate to Half Price Books is about as far as we go :D with $$$. I don't have a lot of money to open a little store.

I am thankful that the children are pretty obedient..

With the tickets, we just have to be more creative:001_huh:

It's a matter of finding what privileges they do have. Never the essentials. To us playing outside in the yard is essential, going to the zoo/park/corn maze privilege. Doing a craft project in science or history is essential, making a collage after supper privilege.

Same with the TV - education dvd for schoolwork - Essential, tv time after supper privilege.

Every family is different as to what they consider a privilege.

So what is something that isn't a family essential?

Can I ask you all a question? How do you remember/keep up with all of the charts? I have tried so many systems from chore charts to marbles in the jar to check lists in their rooms and they work great until *I* quit following through b/c life gets in the way...work, sick, cleaning, etc.

I went to their website last night and looked around. They had some links to blogs that use their system. Maybe something like this would help. One of the Mom's said she made "get ticket from Mom" tickets to keep herself accountable and put them after each chore session (morning, afternoon and bedtime) or however you set it up. Since the kids are motivated to get their ticket, they police Mom a little bit and can't do their next chores until that's out of the way.

Homeschool Buyers Co-op offers 15% off of the program.

It's a matter of finding what privileges they do have. Never the essentials. To us playing outside in the yard is essential, going to the zoo/park/corn maze privilege. Doing a craft project in science or history is essential, making a collage after supper privilege.

Same with the TV - education dvd for schoolwork - Essential, tv time after supper privilege.

Every family is different as to what they consider a privilege.

So what is something that isn't a family essential?

I understand what you are saying :D but we don't use zoo/parks/corn mazes for the tickets. Those are so far and few between that it's just fun family time.

I'm using the tickets for smaller stuff.

We are tweaking and making AK work for us. During our family meeting, we brain storm.

I don't want to put a price (ticket) on everything. I'd have to lock up all the community toys. I want to use tickets for something that they normally don't get to do (like computer on Sat.). For instance, some board games take forever to play (Monopoly) and I normally don't have time to play those long games, so for tickets I'll sit and play one of those games. It's great because I love playing games with the children but I'm always in a rush doing this or that. By using tickets I have to stop and smell the roses ;)

Anyway, that's how we (a limited t.v., no gameboy/x-box family) uses the tickets :)

Edited by Homeschooling6

I LOVE this program too but couldn't justify the cost for our family size so I made my own version. Cost me a TON less :D It's been working really well for us so far and the kids enjoy seeing their chores get finished. I have the details on my blog if anyone is curious how I did it myself.

I love yours it is so cute and if u ever market them keep me in mind. I could never afford that other for 4 kids way too much!!! Great job you did

Ladies who are using AK,

Did you purchase Basic or Deluxe?

I've always wanted to use this and have drooled for years. I'm caving now . . . . :001_smile:

Wanted to add, that I ended up purchasing the mini peg board. It really is nice for all those extra cards to have a home.

I plan to do a basic review and another post with how we are tweaking it to fit our family. I just have to get the energy to write. Again, thanks so much for your kindness :)

Wanted to add, that I ended up purchasing the mini peg board. It really is nice for all those extra cards to have a home.

I plan to do a basic review and another post with how we are tweaking it to fit our family. I just have to get the energy to write. Again, thanks so much for your kindness :)

Thanks for pointing that out. I thought I noticed it on you wall and then went over to the AK website to do the math :D. It is a chunk to swallow but saving a bit each month for 3 or 4 months would get us there by the new year (always a good time to re-vamp the current system).

I will enjoy reading about your tweaks. I imagine I will like them :001_smile:. I hope you will have renewed energy soon. It is hard to come by some days.

You're welcome. You bless me continually with your input on these boards (and in the PR Social Group) and your transparency on your blog.

That is a tough one.

QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm really struggling with this. If I remove arts and crafts, then what does my 5 year old do with her time? I don't want to make reading a punishment (i.e., no arts and crafts... go read a book instead) because that sends the wrong message about reading. I see what you mean about keeping the school activities seperate, but she is only 5! Her "work" is to play! That probably works better for the older kids.

I see several people posted about special sweet treats. The book suggests not using food as a reward, so I have been trying to avoid that, but it is an obvious way to use tickets.

So basically, I keep putting off starting the program because I cannot figure out how to use the tickets! I also worry that I won't have the right flow through with however I assign them -- that the kids will have too many or too few for how I would ideally like the day to flow. I am thinking of forgoing the use of tickets altogether and just using the chore chart to say, "you can't do XYZ until your afternoon chores are done." I would still use the other tickets the way they are supposed to. Or, I guess we could make a store to buy inexpensive but desired things with tickets.

I am sure this is a good program, and I know my daughter is excited to start it too -- but I have to say -- it is a bit too complicated. Too many variables!

Would still love to hear more ideas...

That is a tough one.

QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm really struggling with this. If I remove arts and crafts, then what does my 5 year old do with her time? I don't want to make reading a punishment (i.e., no arts and crafts... go read a book instead) because that sends the wrong message about reading. I see what you mean about keeping the school activities seperate, but she is only 5! Her "work" is to play! That probably works better for the older kids.

I see several people posted about special sweet treats. The book suggests not using food as a reward, so I have been trying to avoid that, but it is an obvious way to use tickets.

So basically, I keep putting off starting the program because I cannot figure out how to use the tickets! I also worry that I won't have the right flow through with however I assign them -- that the kids will have too many or too few for how I would ideally like the day to flow. I am thinking of forgoing the use of tickets altogether and just using the chore chart to say, "you can't do XYZ until your afternoon chores are done." I would still use the other tickets the way they are supposed to. Or, I guess we could make a store to buy inexpensive but desired things with tickets.

I am sure this is a good program, and I know my daughter is excited to start it too -- but I have to say -- it is a bit too complicated. Too many variables!

Would still love to hear more ideas...

Finding things to use the tickets on is the tricky part. It's kind of different for each of my kids, depending on what motivates them. My eldest son is motivated by time to play video games, so it's been a simple way to limit the time he spends on that (and he knows he's not allowed to choose that option for his ticket until we're done school).

My daughter, not so. I do have a special arts and crafts box that she can use to spend her tickets on to use (this has playdough and her ink and stamps in it, but the regular one is always available). If she saves up 10 tickets, she can help me do some baking. Not that she doesn't help me anyways with that sometimes, but she really gets a kick out of it when it's something she's saved up for and gets to wear the apron and be the head chef! They can also use tickets to stay up 15 minutes past bedtime for extra stories, or to listen to music while they go to sleep. Or to pick the song we sing together at the piano when we start up the school day.

With only earning 3 tickets a day (and losing them for being naughty), I'm finding it's not too terribly difficult to manage the tickets pile around here. Once you start, you'll find the balance that works for you and how you want the day to run. As they've gotten into the program, I've found that I've taken tickets away for bad behaviours that they previously would've gotten away with a mild reprimand. It's nice to have that extra tool for discipline.

Once you have the ticket thing worked out in your mind, it's really not too terribly difficult to implement. Just do it step by step!

For those of you who use AK with younger kids, do you have issues with the cards being scattered around the house? I would love to try AK but my kids always seem to incorporate little cards like that in some game and they wander off.

Not really... I keep the extra cards clipped on to the fridge with a magnet clip, and I've installed their boards high enough on the adjacent wall that they need to reach up for it, so the toddler can't cause havoc!

They just know it's a rule not to play with them, and if they do, they'll lose a ticket. They don't want that!

Can I ask you all a question? How do you remember/keep up with all of the charts? I have tried so many systems from chore charts to marbles in the jar to check lists in their rooms and they work great until *I* quit following through b/c life gets in the way...work, sick, cleaning, etc. My dd is GREAT about doing what she's supposed to, but my nearly 8 year old is my resistant child.

I had the same trouble keeping on top of other systems I tried. This is much easier to keep on top of, because basically the kids are in charge of it. They'll do their chores, then ask me for the ticket to hang up. If they don't do those steps, they don't get their star on their date night card (10 stars earns a special date night). And they love their date nights!

It does take commitment, but the time I'm saving on chasing after them to get ready in the morning more than makes up for it!

I just ordered this last night. I have been wanting a system that includes both chores and behavior and this seems just right. It will also force me to be more organized and accountable, maybe I should have gotten one of the peg boards for me? :tongue_smilie: The only thing I haven't decided is where to put the peg boards... we have a small house and I don't really want them on display anywhere. I'll probably stick them in the kitchen.