Menu

What could cause frequent fevers in my 3 year old?

My 3 1/2 year old dd, has always been my 'sickie' one...ever since she was a newborn, she'd come down with frequent runny noses/colds. And she also frequently runs fevers without any other symptoms. They occur maybe twice a month, and she'll run a fever for a few days. Most of the time you wouldn't even know she was sick. For examply, I knew she had been running a fever since last night--she was warm, and 'wanted' to go to bed (which isn't her) and today she felt warm to me, but she hasn't acted sick. I just decided to take her temp and it is 102.4. How can she have a fever like that and not feel bad? I'm wondering if she could have some underlying disease that could cause her to run fevers. Whenever I take her in when she is sick, they never find anything wrong...'just a virus'. Ironically as much as she is sick, she has never once been on antibiotics---so I guess I should count my blessings for that.

And whenever she is in for her well visit, I haven't though to ask about why she'd get sick so much. Any ideas?

Well, the constant runny nose can be from ear infections. Ds10 had a little runny nose when he was maybe 4. He seemed to have it for months with no other symptoms. I took his brother in for a well visit. I asked the doc if he could just keep in his throat and ears because of the constant runny nose. He had a chronic ear infection. He had it for months without any indication.

As for the constant fevers, ds had a "virus" I guess a couple yrs ago. He had a fever for 2-3 weeks with no other symptoms. This was the one yr that he was in ps so they kept calling me:( I even took him to the doc twice and they did bloodwork. They found nothing.

Please disregard this if you are saying that your child has had a fever for longer than I mentioned. I would call the doc and schedule an appointment if the symptoms are chronic.

My 3 1/2 year old dd, has always been my 'sickie' one...ever since she was a newborn, she'd come down with frequent runny noses/colds. And she also frequently runs fevers without any other symptoms. They occur maybe twice a month, and she'll run a fever for a few days. Most of the time you wouldn't even know she was sick. For examply, I knew she had been running a fever since last night--she was warm, and 'wanted' to go to bed (which isn't her) and today she felt warm to me, but she hasn't acted sick. I just decided to take her temp and it is 102.4. How can she have a fever like that and not feel bad? I'm wondering if she could have some underlying disease that could cause her to run fevers. Whenever I take her in when she is sick, they never find anything wrong...'just a virus'. Ironically as much as she is sick, she has never once been on antibiotics---so I guess I should count my blessings for that.

And whenever she is in for her well visit, I haven't though to ask about why she'd get sick so much. Any ideas?

Does she seem to have any joint pain? Ds5's arthritis started when he was 2, and one of his symptoms was a spiking fever that would last 2-3 days and recur approximately every 10 days.

You might want to keep a paper record of her temps/symptoms since you're concerned. Just take it once or twice a day at the same time and record it. It might show a pattern.

Last time she went through this I did take her in, and they checked her urine and it was fine.

I don't know about joint pain..she hasn't mentioned it. I'll ask her if she hurts any where else...sometimes she won't answer me, sometimes she'll point to her tummy, and sometimes she'll point to her neck. But most of the time you wouldn't even know she was sick.

Allergies can cause fever? This I didn't know, and if so, then that could be the culprit.

Hmm, I think that what you might want to do is take her in and have them run some blood work just to make sure that nothing underlying is going on..or whatever they would need to do to look for underlying issues like infection or whatever. Recurring fevers without other symptoms could be cause for concern. I do know that recurring fever that doesn't seem to be associated with anything is something that should be looked into. It could be something simple like a strep, for example. My kids would have strep and would never show typical symptoms but would run fevers on and off. You should really push your doctor to investigate this further and if he/she doesn't, go elsewhere.

At 3yo my dd was STILL dealing with the chronic off and on cough she'd had since birth. A wonderful doc cured her using homeopathy.

Her cause he said was something she'd been exposed to in my belly.

Months after her cure - I realized it was the PPD (skin test for TB) that I had just hours or days before her conception. When I told him that later - he agreed. (The homeopathic cure was something like "tuberculinium").

Something very simple is out of balance and her body is doing an amazing job dealing with it. Find a reputable homeopathic doctor or practitioner and see what miracles they can do. My doctor was exceptional!

Check her tonsils (visually) and possibly adnoids (has to be done w/ xray). My DS and DD get enlarged adnoids, which they use for flonaise for. If left untreated (or unremoved), kiddo may have recurrent low fevers, infections, etc. My DC also had sleeping and behavior issues, as well as snoring and bad breath, until this was solved.

GL! - Stacey in MA

I hope you find out what is causing this, but off on a tangent...

My friend's child had very high fevers on a monthly basis and it ruined her teeth. You might want to visit a dentist, if you haven't, and have her teeth checked earlier rather than later.

Good luck!

My ds, almost 3, had this problem the first 2 years of his life. He has an immune system deficiency, and now takes daily medicine. He had a fever almost every 10 days, and it was a mystery. I second the blood work, those tests can reveal alot.

Sarah

mom to

"C" ds 9

"K" dd 5

"C" ds 3 in 11 days