Menu

Programming Apprenticeship: Transcript or EC?

My son has a 20-hr. paid apprenticeship in computer programming/website management. (It's thru Homegrown Programmers if you want to look them up. It's a great program.)

Would you put this on the transcript as a class? Or an extracurricular activity?

Because it's 20 hrs, he is only taking 2 CC classes (8 units). He's a senior. Works for us, but it may look sorta bad on the transcript. Any suggestions?

When dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was in high school, I had a friend who had a "class" that was work-study. We worked together at the local Cock Robin (kind of like a McDonald's with ice cream counter). I worked after school, but she got to leave school early and work more. She actually became an assistant manager upon graduation, so it was some kind of career training.

I would think you could add something to the transcript to reflect work-study. In the local ps curriculum guide, they list 4 different Co-Op Education "classes" each worth 1 credit for a year. Send me an email if you like, and I can scan it and email it to you.

When I was in college, I participated in the co-op program. It took me 5 years to graduate, but 1 quarter + summer each of my last 3 years, I worked full-time as a programmer for Allstate Insurance. It showed up on my transcript as 'Engineering Experience' but there was no grade or credits associated with it.

HTH!

Could you clarify, please. Is it twenty hours total or is it twenty hours per week? If the latter, for what period of time?

Regards,

Kareni

Time period is indefinite (at least in my mind; maybe he's stated a time but I can't remember). It could very well lead to a permanent position.

I would love to hear more about this program. How did your son enjoy the classes? Did you think they were worth the money. How long before he moved into an apprenticeship, etc.? We've looked at this before and my son is expressing some interest in computer programming (he is an 8th grader now) so I would be interested in this for next year. Thanks.

I would love to hear more about this program. How did your son enjoy the classes? Did you think they were worth the money. How long before he moved into an apprenticeship, etc.? We've looked at this before and my son is expressing some interest in computer programming (he is an 8th grader now) so I would be interested in this for next year. Thanks.

:iagree: I looked into HGP but found it a little too unclear for my tastes.

For example, the Java course is $150. From the FAQ, I got the impression that the classes were about 12 weeks long and would take 2-4hours per week. Maybe it's very clear and it's just not much work. :confused:

How many hours a week should the classes take?

Generally we expect homeschoolers will want to do a session a week (10 sessions per class), and we estimate that completing the lesson will involve a commitment of 2-4 hours a week.

If I finish one course early, do I have to wait twelve weeks before starting another?

Not at all. Generally we would encourage students to work according to the class schedule, so they can interact with their fellow students during the classes. Also, since we are still developing new classes, there may be some that will not become available until a specific time. However, the class flow isn't set in stone, either. So if you finish early, and want to continue, we will work with you as much as we can as far as starting new classes or providing extra individual projects or challenges to deepen the learning in the subject! Our goal is to challenge students and give them all the opportunities they want to learn, so that they can succeed and grow as quickly as they want to.

Ds (and I!) are taking Java through Potter's School this year.

Yes, he did enjoy the classes. For us, they were more expensive than the CC, but they did lead to an apprenticeship so in that sense they were worth the $. Apprenticeships aren't guaranteed per se. It depends on what the needs of the company are. You must take at least 2 classes minimum before you will be considered for an apprenticeship so they can get to know you. I think it also depends on the student's age & maturity. It's a "case by case" thing.

That is one nice thing.... it's a small operation. Your student interacts w/real people who are working for Alan or Alan himself and they can get to know you. You can get as interactive as you wish.

Background: My son started taking programming classes at the CC in spring of 9th. He already had a few before taking his first HGP class (in 11th; he's currently 12th). Content-wise, the HGP classes are not heavy duty. (But this could be good if your children are younger.) I'm sure he would have learned a lot more taking them at the CC. The CC ones were a lot more work. But we were intrigued by the apprenticeship idea.

He took Java and PHP w/HGP and now he's doing some PHP stuff for the apprenticeship. He's also helping create a class, I think it's Power Point. It's been a fabulous experience so I'm really glad he got in w/HGP.

Sue, I agree that some of the content is confusing. You are correct that the classes aren't very much work. We had a Skype call w/Alan last July and got to see his enthusiasm & vision and were impressed. We decided we would like Jason to get involved w/his classes & company even though the classes were easy for him, and it paid off for him.

Edited by Jenn in CA