Menu

A little History of the World

MelissaM

I actually got it out of our library.

I like it better than SOTW. I'm not really sure why but suspect it has more to do with the flow and style of the writing than anything else. They both voer about the same material.

For me, they are both too summarized (dd is 11) to suffice for our history study but I was looking for shorter passages I could use for CW Aesop style exercises. It is well written and reads like a story, so it works fairly well for that.

I've been adding whole books in for history. We are on Greeks right now, so we have Alexander by Gunther and Marathon Looks to the Sea by Coolidge to flesh it out, as well as Famous Men.

We have it. Amazon, by the way, sells the audio disc for a mear $19.95. What a deal.

We've enjoyed this book. It's written at a somewhat higher level than SOTW I-IV, and is more abridged. It basically covers the same material in a condensed way. I think it's similar to The Story of Mankind by Van Loon.

Any reviews of this book?

I am looking at it for next year.

I personally can't speak for the book 100% since I only read a small part of it, but the little bit I read sounded really good and I planned to use it when I got to world history (after we finish American History)

My sister used it this past year with her 8 year old daughter. They both liked it, but they used it along with another program. They didn't use it as a complete subject.

I often hear this book touted as a better secular alternative than SOTW (though I don't think this is a fair comparison because the target audiences differ), but I there have been entire passages I've had to skip, redacting wasn't even an option. I was particularly uncomfortable with passages talking about how the bright side of the Dark Ages was that people became more moral (paraphrasing, but the meaning was clear that we weren't talking about a different moral code, but a better one) relative to those before because they were Christian. I had used it occasionally through Ancients and didn't have too much problem, but I've completely set it aside now.