Menu

What is the best quality dustless chalk?

Mommy7

LibertyH, do these chalk markers have an odor? I cannot use whiteboard markers (even the low odor kind) because of some chemical sensitivities. I *LOVE* the idea of these chalk markers...just concerned about the odor. Do they smell like markers? Thanks so much!

They aren't completely odor free, but I've never noticed the scent . . . okay, I'm standing in my kitchen sniffing markers vs. chalk. vs. chalk-markers vs. dry erase markers right now (if DH walks in he will think I've lost it) :D

The chalk markers smell just a bit more than regular chalk does - kinda' like a highlighter or regular marker - nothing like a dry erase or sharpie. Does that help???

They last a long time in our house. I've had this set since the beginning of last year and all of them are still going strong. We aren't every day chalk users here, but we do use them often. The trick is to store them horizontally rather than vertically.

LibertyH, thank you so very much for your "sniffing session." The things we do for our cyber friends! :lol: I better leave those type of markers alone. I am looking for no odor, if at all possible. I think I better stick with good ole' fashioned chalk...well, dustless kind, anyway. Thanks so much!

• 5 months later...
Otherwise, OP, "low dust" chalk via Crayola is pretty inexpensive. I'll be buying some tonight at Office Depot :)

No, no, don't!!! The Crayola chalk is cr*p. I bought some once because it was cheaper and had to throw it out. The marks on the board are hard to read, and then ironically you can't erase them!! I have to wash the board!

The best stuff I've found easily available is Prang. I can get it at the Teacher Supply Store. I can also get it at Staples now, but I think it wasn't always there and that's why I ended up with Crayola once. The Prang writes clearly and erases completely.

I know that this is an older thread that got bumped back up...but I have a chalk question for the experts. We seem to have trouble with all the chalk we've used so far. We haven't used real dustless chalk yet, but we have used a few different kinds of sidewalk chalk and regular blackboard chalk. Could the problem be our boards? They are blue ones instead of the traditional green. We have a green board somewhere, but I haven't been able to dig it out and compare how the chalk works on it. It seems like the chalk we have used gets a hard sheen from the board. Does that sound familiar to anyone?