Menu

Does sesame oil go bad?

I have a bottle of sesame oil I think I bought about 8 years ago. I never opened it and it has been in the back of my bottom cabinet (fairly dark and cool) pretty much ever since then. I want to use it in a recipe, but not if it is spoiled. There is no date on the bottle anywhere so I am dating it by the price tag - and it is of a store I haven't shopped in since we moved 8 years ago.

So, how will I know if it is bad? Since it has never been opened, do you think it is ok to use?

Honestly, I wouldn't trust it after that long. Have you smelled it? Your first sniff of it should let you know if it is rancid. :tongue_smilie:Most oils will last a year or two unopened, but after opening just 4-6 months. But any oil will get rancid over time, regardless of how it was stored. I would toss it, and then buy a new, small bottle. If you have some sesame seeds, you can toss them briefly in regular oil and flavor that oil with it's lovely good sesame taste.