Menu

Missing Persons List: Donna Booshay?

MFS is a very competent lady. If she isn't here, I have to think it is because she chooses not to be here. That said, I will miss her posts.:( Of course you can always read her blog at http://www.mentalmultivitamin.blogspot.com/

:).

Heh. I certainly don't doubt her competency. As for her preferences, though, my gut feeling was that she'd likely run screaming and cussing from this format. :)

She did post something about the new forums on her site, not directly, but in a way that led me to believe she was not about to join the "hive mind".

I saw that, too. It's unfortunate, her very public contempt for those of us who 'cannot think for ourselves.'

I saw that, too. It's unfortunate, her very public contempt for those of us who 'cannot think for ourselves.'

It was stinging, certainly. (Heh. Sorry about that.) I guess I see her as sensitive to some sorts of humor, anything that might make it appear that she's not very non-conformist or whatnot.

Certain experiences when I was a kid ruined me for some sorts of humor as an adult. My husband slowly pulled me out of being waaay too serious about some things for the most part, but still some things rankle me out of proportion to logic. I have to be REALLY careful how I react when someone teases me, for example. Maybe there's something that makes M really have a strong visceral reaction to at what is at the end of the day a pretty colossal joke. I mean, can you imagine a group of people less lock-step in their thinking who compose a voluntary community? I cannot.

As my old pal Foghorn Leghorn used to say, "I say, I say -- it's just a JOKE, son."

Remember when some used to call us "sheeple" either on the old board or in other formats? Maybe this feels like that to her. Only it's not other people calling us that, it's ourselves choosing or allowing the moniker "hive." Any notion that they might be accused of groupthink makes some people (well, even me, usually) run screaming for the door. Heck, for some people, thinking they might be accused as belonging to a particular *community* make some run. (Like me with certain churches, or political parties, or social clubs.)

Maybe it's some of the above, anyway. I've been puzzling about it since I saw her post. (And here I am speculating about it, which might not be very nice, I dunno. I don't mean any disrespect, certainly, nor do any of us who wonder about her absence, I imagine.)

Guest Virginia Dawn

It's those two historical forces of society locking horns again: centralization and decentralization. Some people really *hate* the possiblity that they may be accused of being an ally of Rome, even in a joke.

Sorry, I can't help myself.:)

It's those two historical forces of society locking horns again: centralization and decentralization. Some people really *hate* the possiblity that they may be accused of being an ally of Rome, even in a joke.

Sorry, I can't help myself.:)

Ha! Someone's studying ancient history, methinks.

Isn't going back to school waaaay fun? Especially going back "old"?

Ladies, please, let's not over-analyze her comments or turn our analysis into criticism. Some of us folks are just more in need of affiliation than others are. I'm sure she meant no insult to us, but rather wanted to share, in her own way, why she didn't feel the need to join us. I only meant to point out the reason she may not be here, not to criticize that decision.

Spoken in love to you all and hoping you aren't offended.:)

Guest Virginia Dawn

I'm having a very good time. I was very relieved to find that the teacher did not lecture straight from the text book.

I'm not the oldest person in the class either. :-)

She did post something about the new forums on her site, not directly, but in a way that led me to believe she was not about to join the "hive mind". If she doesn't, she will be missed, but I know I will still visit her site.

She's made comments like that on her un-blog before. But she still comes around. I'm sure we'll see her here eventually, after she performs whatever mental gymnastics are required for her to reconcile her desire to be here with her desire to distinguish herself from us.

:cool:

She's made comments like that on her un-blog before. But she still comes around. I'm sure we'll see her here eventually, after she performs whatever mental gymnastics are required for her to reconcile her desire to be here with her desire to distinguish herself from us.

:cool:

Sarah,

I just want to say that I smiled when I read that and thought "Ahhh, I've missed Sarah while on my board break!" ;)

THis is nothing new. She has criticized our use of "hive mind" before, even knowing full well what we mean by it and that it's all in good fun. She has made it very clear in the past what that label means to her, so I doubt anyone is reading more into her post than what she intended. She thinks we're embracing a negative label that we should be embarrassed to be affiliated with.

To quote the quote on her blog... ""The hive mind is for the most part stupid and boring. Why pay attention to it?" Since she hung out on the old boards long after critizing the hive mind label, then I suppose only she can answer that question. I think the answer is that she knows that this is NOT a hive mind in that sense of the word.

So, my guess is she'll get over the semantics and join in soon enough. She's probably lurking even as we speak :).

Robin

identify themselves by that term. I see that in another recent thread Colleen questioned why Heath Ledger's mother would want to name him after Bronte's Heathcliff. Isn't that similar really?

Personally I wonder about both myself. It's not that I can't take a joke, it's just that I don't find it particularly funny. Others have used that term very derisively in other places referring to this board and maybe taking the name on for ourselves is thumbing our noses at those who make such comments. It isn't something that would keep me from posting here (that's the format) since I don't feel too bound by the labels someone else wants to put on me or others. I think I would be a bit more hesitant to post here if various forms of "sheeple" had been chosen.

I don't see MFS' post on her blog as harsh criticism. I don't believe she was saying (though I can't speak for her) that no one here can think for themselves. It seems to me more wonderment that anyone would willingly take on that name which has been used so negatively both in general and directed toward this board. And I have to agree. I wouldn't name my son after Heathcliff either, even though Wuthering Heights was one of my dad's favorite books. (That's just one of many things I'd love to ask him about if he were alive!)

Personally I wonder about both myself. It's not that I can't take a joke, it's just that I don't find it particularly funny. Others have used that term very derisively in other places referring to this board and maybe taking the name on for ourselves is thumbing our noses at those who make such comments. It isn't something that would keep me from posting here (that's the format) since I don't feel too bound by the labels someone else wants to put on me or others. I think I would be a bit more hesitant to post here if various forms of "sheeple" had been chosen.

I see the difference between Hive Mind and Sheeple.

Hive Mind first came on the WTM scene when Kay in Cal was asking a question. She said, I assume tongue in cheek, "Oh Hive Mind, help me with _______". It became an insider joke at that point. It was always meant as a gentle ribbing, teasing, self-deprecating humor. It was not meant as an insult and most people saw the silly humor in the nickname.

To me it is no different than any other self-deprecating humor. I play on my Tennessee locale all the time in the virtual world, typing in my best impersonation of redneck English. But if you knew me in real life....I am far more dang Yankee than I am southern girl.

(As an aside, an retired "old school" teacher recently commented on my two oldest girls' speaking skills. She said "They have no accent and their grammar is perfect! They speak like northerners. They talk like you." She meant this as a compliment. I looked at my husband and said "See, that is what comes of marrying a dang Yankee, you needed someone to learn them there kids how to talk good!")

Sheeple was a nickname put on the board members as an insult. As best I can tell, it was never intended in a tongue in cheek manner, it was never meant as good natured ribbing or teasing. I could be wrong about the intent of "sheeple" but I cannot recall it ever being meant as anything other than an insult.

I see the difference between Hive Mind and Sheeple....

It was not meant as an insult and most people saw the silly humor in the nickname.

I do, too. But, if you just look at the way the two terms are described outside the context of this board, it's not as easy to "get", kwim? Obviously it hasn't stopped me from being here, but I can see why the joke might be lost on some.

I have to admit that it has taken me longer to accept the whole "bee network" -- Larva, Worker Bee, Nurse Bee, etc. I realize it's all part of the fun, but for those that don't get it in the first place, it might leave a really bad taste in the mouth.

I'm not feeling nearly as negative as this sounds. Just observations from my neck of the hive. ;)

Doran

OK, I don't spend as much time on the boards as I should (I'm trying to do better with this new format!) but every time I've seen Hive Mind used, it's been in the sense of collective wisdom. All of us together are greater than the sum of our parts. Hey, I've learned so much from this board that my mother and I acknowledge the WTM boards and their help in the second edition of TWTM.

There's no insult here. Just trying to acknowledge how much all of you together are contributing to the total store of knowledge on this site.

And just FYI, anyone can be a queen bee. There's not just one. :)

...every time I've seen Hive Mind used, it's been in the sense of collective wisdom. All of us together are greater than the sum of our parts.

Yes, that's the positive spin. But the other uses -- those alluding to conformity and "groupthink" seem more negative, to some more so than to others. All that to say, it doesn't get my knickers in a twist, but I understand how it might rub someone the wrong way. Twisted knickers have a way of doing that...or so I'm told!

Really, I just want eleven little green squares of good reputation by my name...is that asking for too much?! :D

Doran

Ya know, there are other, positive uses acknowledged by the same source (wikipedia)... and everyone knows that when you're translating something you have to take context and intent into consideration. I don't think SWB was "spinning" things... it's a legitimate, valid use of the term (collective wisdom, etc.).

I do understand someone having a visceral reaction to a word being used in any context other than the one they are familiar with - I really do understand that (sorta like the Pandemonium Books thread a while back... some people have strong feelings about certain words).... but to make a snide jab for no reason (not you, talking about the blog entry)? Seems petty to me, but what do I know :).

Hey, I think you deserve the rep squares too... I just added to your rep to help with the cause! (hope my rep is good enough to make a difference!)

Robin

I don't think SWB was "spinning" things... it's a legitimate, valid use of the term (collective wisdom, etc.).

Ack! Now I'm questioning my use of the term "spin". I didn't mean that the term couldn't legitimately mean collective wisdom, I just meant that if you look at it from a different angle (as some people might), you could see the negative definitions instead. I absolutely understand that it can also be positive. Hope that makes sense. :)

Toodles,

Doran