Menu

HELP! Plastic bag sucked into AC!

Our house was built in the 1950s with no central heat/AC. When the previous owners put in heat/AC, they used the old floor furnaces as the air returns. Great except they stay really dirty all the time and my dd3 is always putting crayons and thing thru the grates... Anyway, today I was changing filters and had the filter off while dh was oening the new one. I had a plastic grocery bag by me to put all the treasures in that were in the area around the filter. All of a sudden the ac kicked on and sucked the plastic bag down into the vent all the way to the huge unit in the basement.

Dh said not to worry, but if we go to the air return that is closest to the unit in the basement, we can hear the bag rattling inside the unit. Dh seems to think it is no big deal but I am terrified of a fire or something as we sleep tonight.

I have no idea how to get the bag out. Our landlord has the AC serviced and I don't know when they will be back. Dh has no clue. None. He is not even close to being Mr. Handy.

Are my concerns real? What do we need to do?