Menu

Speaking of snacking...

Guest Virginia Dawn

Guest Virginia Dawn

This is my downfall. I am slowly gaining weight without even trying hard. :(

I know it is not regular meals that are killing me, but snacks.

My name is "Virginia Dawn" and I am a snacker.

A pretzel here, a homemade goodie there, a bowl of kettle corn, nibble nibble, munch munch. Salty or sweet, bring it on. Chewing something while reading helps me to think better. ;)

HELP! My "fat pants" are feeling tight. :(

I've got to do something, but I hate giving up snacks. I actually feel nervous when I try. I walk around wondering what I'm supposed to do with myself. :eek: Please don't tell me to go cold turkey, it ain't gonna happen.

I'm not that desperate, YET.

What about setting out a certain amount of snacks in ziploc baggies so you know exactly what you are getting? I know when I snack out of the serving bag, I'll eat much, much more.

I decided I had to go cold turkey. I love my crunchy snacks, so I replaced the chips and pretzels with carrots and celery. It was hard for a few days, but now I'm used to it. I don't have the chips in the house, so there's no way for me to eat them.

Good luck. I know how hard it is!

I second Jennifer's idea of portioning out snacks in ziploc bags. You might try using the really, really small bags. Are you eating one very small pretzel, or a big one? What about having a cup of kettle corn, instead of a bowl? Have you tried any hard candy that can be sucked on so it lasts a long time? (tootsie pops, nips, butterscotch candy, peppermints)

Do you exercise?

:)

Also try http://www.sparkpeople.com . After entering in everything I ate for several days in a row, I started realizing which snacks were worth eating and which really weren't worth the calories. When I found out how many calories I had consumed in that tablespoon of sunflower seeds, for example, I decided to find other things that lasted longer to eat!

Since I tend to eat the same foods daily, entering foods in Sparkpeople for a little over a week was enough for me to get on a better eating path. I used to guzzle potato chips out of the package many nights out of the week. I stopped buying chips at all, and found that I can eat 19 little pretzel twists instead for not very many calories. Also found that having small organic pears (from Trader Joe's) out on the kitchen counter helps me pick up one of those for a snack rather than something high-cal.

By doing this, and by adding 45 minutes of treadmill about 3 times a week to my routine, I have lost 5.5 lbs in two weeks! This is the first time I've been able to lose weight. It has become easier to stick with this program too, as I think my stomach has shrunk a little and my tastes have changed enough so I don't crave the potato chips anymore.