Menu

Are there some things you are willing to pay high prices for?

I am normally very frugal and cringe at thinking of spending $4.99 for jeans at Goodwill when I can often find them at Love, Inc for $1 and sometimes 50 cents. I buy most things on sale/clearance, rarely pay full price for anything, etc.

That said, I am coming to the idea that I will pay just about ANY price for a pair of tennis shoes (for walking and exercising) that FIT both of my feet well and are COMFORTABLE. I went today and came home with my 3rd pair to try---these are $100 ones.

Another thing is bras. I really need to go for a good bra fitting to find a bra that is comfortable (those wires tend to POKE me yet I need a lot of support) and looks good.

I am not even talking about being high fashion here. I told the shoe lady today that I didn't care about color or style, mens or womens model, etc. as long as they FIT and were COMFORTABLE for my 3-4 mile walks.

I guess there are just some things that are worth paying dearly for and right now it seems like bras and shoes are at the top of my list...............of course, once I find the best fit/model/style for each I can start bargin hunting for more of the same:)

Bras are a big one for me.

I was talking to a friend last year and she said she had spent over six hours that week bra shopping - trying on bra after bra at multiple stores. I said, "You need to get to (particular store)!" I used to be the same way - tried on dozens and never found any that were comfortable. She said, "But they are so expensive!" I don't care! I can go into this store, get fitted and find a dozen within 30 minutes that are so comfortable. I only buy 2-3 at a time. They wear very well, so don't need to be replaced as often as the cheaper ones.

Running shoes.

Organic food. It is a matter of principle for us.

Jeans for DS. He is all legs and extremely skinny. He only likes plain jeans - nothing distressed or faded or whatever the current fashion is. Finding jeans that fit him is awful, so I tend to close my eyes and buy whatever I find that fit.

Homeschool curriculum. :lol:

But yes... really. I am into quality over quantity these days though. I think a lot of people buy a random amount of books each month and could have an all planned out thing if they saved it for that instead.

Skin care. Principal Secret works better than others I have tried and it really lasts a while so I order it when I run out.

The quality remains long after the price is forgotten.

My hair color/cut

Shoes - not even dress shoes, but I am hooked on Fit Flops (both summer and winter versions). I NEVER dreamed I would spend $50 on a pair of "flips" but they are the most comfortable shoes ever. I even purchased them for my daughters (14 and 9) because I want them to have comfortable feet!

I am getting to that point for a camera. I want my pictures of the fam to be great, not just acceptable. So I am looking hard at DSLR cameras.

I try not to pay too much for shoes for myself, but I never skimp on my kids shoes. They don't have many, but they are quality and they fit well.

I don't skimp on good body lotions since we all have very dry skin.

I don't skimp on cheap hair products for my dd.

I am willing to pay more when we travel for a better hotel. Not that we get to travel much.

Bigger ticket items:

cars

appliances

computers

This doesn't mean that we drive Mercedes or Porches...but we are saving up for a NEW Toyota Corolla. (We drive so few miles. Loverboy's car at 7yo just passed 40K miles. Used toyotas with 80K miles were only a few thousand cheaper than new ones).

Appliances: I believe that you get what you pay for; and if you are investing that much money into something, you should get what you want.

Bras (so many requirements: lift, separate, no headaches, no shoulder aches, no nipples, breathable, and in black)

Clothes (I like what I like and it's hard to find a good fit for me)

Shoes (I do buy some cheap ones but I'll fork out when necessary)

certain grocery items

some makeup but I don't have tons so it's okay

Apple over PC/Windows anything anytime.

Underwear

Shoes - I'll drop $100 to get a good pair - but they last for years.

Hair accoutrements :tongue_smilie: - I have knee-length hair, and hair that length is getting pretty old and fragile - it needs all the TLC it can get. So I only use good quality, seamless combs and brushes (just spent $50 for two quality combs). And all my hair clips are seamless, too. My preferred brand is about $40/clip - but they are *so* worth it. Gorgeous and they work wonderfully.

Chocolate ;) - we spend about $40-50 a month on Ghiradelli (I put it in the budget :D)

Shoes--for all of us.

A comfortable car. I should qualify that by saying I wouldn't pay for a *new* Volvo, but I've been very happy with Volvos and have tended to buy them at 5 years old, keep them for a few years and then buy the next 5 year old Volvo.

Pet food.

I spend more than I would like on haircuts, but a decent haircut for my thick, curly mop tends to be pricey.

Then there are the things that individually I don't pay a lot for, but that I buy a LOT of: Craft supplies and books.

Health (mostly prevention, thank God) - quality food, good medical insurance, quality treatments if cv''s we need them, etc. A BIG number one for us.

Second, education. Literature, private lessons, everything we deem high quality and needed.

And third, travel. Willing to pay more for business class, better cabin on a ship, hotel in centre, etc. Generally we don't watch every penny when travelling, and allow ourselves to be comfortable.

Cosmetic treatments (and hair :D) are something I'm often likely to indulge myself with.

As most women, I do have things for certain clothes and brands, but they're definitely not among the top three priorities and I'm proud that most of the time I can reason with myself and tell myself, look Ester, just because you can afford it, doesn't mean you should if you can get a very good coat for half that price. I try not to indulge myself too much when it comes to clothes. I am willing to invest in good shoes, bras, even good sunglasses and such things, but I don't need all Armanis, D&Gs, Ray Bans and so on.

But really, it's mostly about good food (and if out, good restaurants), books and travel for us

-Eggs and Milk

-Dog food

-Shirts for me (I can never wear a shirt w/o needing to wash it every time. Cheap ones get worn, ratted, holes, and lose their shape too quickly)

-Make-up

-Shoes for the kids (same principal as the shirts. My boys only go through one set of shoes in a year)

-Diaper/Messenger bags. If I buy a nice bag that I really like, I will use it religiously for two or more years. If I buy a cheap one I'll end up replacing it.

I am moving more and more towards Simplicity and am doing a massive clear out of years worth of accumulated Stuff.

I am going more for quality right across the board...but it doesnt always mean expensive. I will still enjoy my bargain hunting :)

I have had bras fitted and spent way too much twice now for something I never wear because I cant stand underwires. I thought if I had them professionally fitted it would be ok. It wasnt. So I prefer my soft, very light support bras even though I am a 14C. And they are not expensive. But I would rather have 5 of those than a dozen expensive uncomfortable ones!

I have a lovely collection of woollens, and I have just cleared out my wardrobe, and put a whole lot of other clothes aside, accessible, but I will see if I actually do wear them- then they earn their right back into my now fairly empty wardrobe. They only have another month or so to prove themselves worthy! . Its amazing how little of my clothes I actually do wear, so why are they sitting in my wardrobe? I have started looking for my "ideal wardrobe" and I dont mind paying more for a few good quality items.

I have started letting the fridge empty itself out. So much food is wasted because there is too much in there and we cant even see the bowls of leftovers. My husband lives on yoghurt and raw sweetcorn at the moment. So, I stock up on yoghurt and sweetcorn and whatever I want, and something for the kids...and its nice to have space in the fridge.

Yes, curriculum is something I have spent wildly on over the years. Not any more though. Its another area I dont feel the cost is justified a lot of the time..but it has taken me years to work that one out. And it probably does take most of us years to feel confident enough to bring it together ourselves.

So, in most things, I would rather quality, and now even mosre so. I am doing a garage sale tomorrow and I am hoping to raise funds towards a Mac computer for myself.

Shoes - not that I want to spend a lot of money, but I have really (really, really) wide feet and super high arches, so it's very hard to find shoes that fit, and when I do, they're usually quite expensive.

Skin and hair care - I prefer to get organic, good quality products.

Haircuts & color for me - this is one thing I won't touch at home!

Sheets & bath towels - I'd rather spend a bit more and have something that looks and feels nice and will last a long time.

All furniture (including mattresses)

Flooring/rugs

Good books, for the kids especially

Clothing for dh, ds and I. We wear our clothes for a long time so the better brands wear longer. (DD11 loves finding eclectic items at thrift stores, and dd3 is dressed in good brands but 2nd hand)

Sheets!

Shoes for everyone

Cars must have top safety ratings (Dh and I each drive about 20,000miles/year so safety is a must)

Tires are always the highest quality too

Shampoo, hair cuts ($30 range-not higher though)

Quality food. I don't care if it is free, if it isn't something worth eating, I try to not bring it home in the first place

Cookware/knives

I read the question and was thinking "well sure, but not too many things"...then I read the rest of the answers and kept thinking "yeah, me too!". Turns out I'm willing to splurge on a lot more than I thought!

So I'll spend more on:

Activities for the kids

Shoes for the kids - they both have very wide feet and cheap shoes hurt them

Books

Bras (not because I want to but because I have yet to find an inexpensive bra that's made in a 32F...sigh)

Strollers...I walk a LOT and don't want to be uncomfortable

Carseats. Safety!!

Food. We have a lot of allergies and specialty items are EXPENSIVE! Health is worth it.

And I just bought a digital SLR that made me cringe when I looked at the price - but we needed a new camera and it means a lot to me that the photographs of my children's lives turn out great.

I also focus on good quality clothes, for the sole reason that we destroy them otherwise. I find cheap clothes don't end up being a savings because you have to replace them WAY more often! But I don't usually spend too much more - I'm a major sale shopper, I check secondhand shops, and I watch Craigslist for good deals (I've found some AWESOME ones there!).

When there's something where I really want good quality and can't really afford it, I try to find a way to make it myself (like cloth diapers!). So far so good!

To me it is more satisfying to have a small piece of good cheese or chocolate than a large quantity of cheap cheese or chocolate. So is the good cheese (or chocolate) really more expensive?

Another vote for shoes. But again, are they really more expensive if they last longer than cheap shoes? Or are like Birkenstocks that can be repaired and thus keep on going for years and years?

I have been working on my sewing skills in order to make tailored clothing. I know that I will be spending more (given the cost of good fabric and patterns), but I hope to achieve both quality and fit that does not come off the rack.

Saddles.

I am at this point with my new horse as well. My saddle is not fitting him well (despite what the saddle fitter says). I am willing to fork out the money for even a new Circle Y (love my Arab one but it doesn't fit him) or other quality saddle.

I just need to find one that FITS him----withers of a paint, barrel of a Haflinger/draft and that pesky dip behind his shoulders.

Glad to hear I am not alone. Once I find a good brand/style, etc. I can bargain hunt for it---like my cowboy boots are often bought used at $5-10 at tack sales.

I like the idea of fewer but quality things--again, bought at a discount if possible.

We are very fortunate to have good thrift stores in our area. I can often find Gloria VanderBilt, CJ Banks, and LL Bean jeans (the 3 brands that fit me the best) for 50 cents-$1 a pair. If though I really need a pair I will go to Kohls and buy them new (on sale with a coupon of course :-) ).

My dh buys quality tools--both hand and power tools. I am looking at buying a very nice set of pots and pans. I figure I cook every day and shoud have quality tools that are easy to use and hold up well.

For us we're pretty frugal and "cheap" too on certain things.

However there are some things we will put in far more investment into than others.

• Daddy's Shoes
  • Home Appliances
  • Car Tires
  • Computers
  • Medicine - We'll spend money on high quality Essential Oils before spending money on OTC medicine
  • Printer Ink
  • Car - We don't buy used. We don't drive a top of the line sleak car but we do drive a car that was a year old when purchased that had less than 100 miles on it.

For years I bought the cheapest of everything. Then I started realizing that often if you go up a level in price, the quality is so much better! For example, I used to get my hair cut at Walmart/Supercuts. Then my dd and I decided to donate our hair to Locks of Love and we had to go to a nice salon for that. It was so enjoyable! So then I looked around and found a lower price salon and that's where I go. Instead of paying $15 for a haircut, I spend $25 and get a much better cut, and they wash and style it too, and the salon is much nicer and cleaner.

Musical instruments.

Why play if the instrument is fighting you?

However, while I'm willing to spend a lot, it sure doesn't happen very often. And I don't buy based on price. I've passed up a lot of instruments that cost more to get one that was playable that happened to be cheaper. There's a lot of price mystique in musical instruments. A lot of people I know who are cheap about a lot of things are willing to pay tons of money for an instrument that isn't all that good just because it's got a name.

I'm very thrifty otherwise. If the quality is the same, I'll always buy the cheaper one. Sometimes the cheap way is best. The haircuts my daughters give me are better than the salon, and free.

My big complaint is that so many people are now shopping at the thrift store that the prices are going up. They're getting close to "new".

Swimsuits and backpacks from Lands' End (for all of us) if I can't get time to make them (swimsuits) myself.

Schwan's Home delivery service

good shoes for everyone

quality power tools

Mead paper

Dell computers

We also buy new cars. My husband drives 80-90 miles a day, seven days a week right now, and he needs all the mileage from the time the thing rolls off the line to be his. His last car (bought new by us & driven for 12 years--4 by me and 8 by dh) had 225,000+ miles on it before it literally fell apart.

My Traverse is now a little over 1 year old and has just over 10k on it (This will be increasing quickly now that ds is attending college 40 miles away.). I like knowing I will get a lot of use out of it before it rusts (Michigan:tongue_smilie:). When my teen is driving, I like knowing it's as safe as we can afford.

I agree with good running/walking shoes and skin and hair care stuff. I am very picky about soap.

Also homeschool stuff - once I decide on something the price no longer matters. I purchase stuff whenever I have the extra money even if we won't use it until next year.

Books - I do shop around but generally if I want a book I get it.

Computers - If I am buying a new computer I'm getting all the upgrades. :D

Someone said cheese and really that is so true. Even my kids can tell the difference. Not that I like wild cheeses - I'm pretty tame in that area.

Geese and ducks. When I buy geese and ducks I only get the best. Chickens not so much, but bad geese and ducks are not worth having in my opinion.