Menu

How to grade "typing" for 7th grade??

Pam L in Mid Tenn

My 7th grader is doing "typing" with computer programs. We need to turn in a grade at the end of each semester to our umbrella school. When I took typing in the dark ages , :D , our grade was determined by the Words Per Minute we obtained. I can not remember that far back. :)

Does anyone have a grading scale based on WPM in middle school?

OR

Do you know of a website that might help me?

Thanks!

Pam

The computer program my 7th grader is using (Mavis Beacon) will give me a report if I ask it to. I am going to base his grade on his improvement each quarter. He's REALLY slow right now, so I'm not expecting large jumps, but I do think he should show gradual improvement.

We use Mavis Beacon too. I could use "improvement" as part of the grade. I did an internet search of grading scales for typing in 7th grade. There is a HUGE range of WPM requirements!!! Some schools want middle schoolers to type 40 WPM for an A,others only require 25 WPM for an A.

It is a good while before I actually NEED a grade. I just wanted to see how others here at WTM grade typing. I'll be looking for more responses.

Thanks!

Pam

I had the same problem - huge discrepancies between standards on the web. That's where the "A for effort" grade came in :)

He's only at 12 WPM right now, so I figure if he can get to 25 by the semester, and to 50 by the end of the year, I'll be happy.

He's also got LD's, so my expectations may be a bit lower than yours:D

Thanks for this great thread. My 7th is going to be starting Mavis Beacon within the week and I was asking myself the same questions. I think after reading the posts, I will base her grade on improvement and effort. I can't imagine a seventh grader being able to type 45 wpm unless they had been doing it already for a while.

I took a 1 semester basic typing course in high school, then 2 semesters regular typing and a data entry (think punch cards!!! ) in college. I thought typing fast was the goal. I finally realized that accuracy was really more important than speed, but the bad habits were already in place. I still struggle with mistypes after 30+ years, so I caution you to emphasize accuracy over speed in the learning stages of typing.

Best wishes

My ds got up to 60 wpm with no mistakes in the semester he did typing in 7th grade. I have no idea what is expected, but I know my dd will not do that well. If I were giving a grade, I would base it on how hard they work, and how much they improve. Everyone has a different natural ability level and WPM shouldn't be the only standard.