Menu

Wii... does anyone regret buying it?

I admit it; I am not a videogame person. Thus why the only videogames we have are a ColecoVision that is packed in a box, and has been for years. It was a gift from the ILs, for my dh a number of years ago, and after about 2 weeks we were done with it. He enjoyed it as a kid, but the novelty had worn off.

Now, I *know* that the Wii is very different. But, does the novelty wear off?

Guest janainaz

I don't regret it, but I figured the excitement would wear off eventually. My ds5.5 still likes to play certain games, but my older ds could care less - he does play, but gets bored after a while. It's just something to do, like anything else. I rarely get excited about anything new anymore because 'things' making you happy is an illusion.

We got ours last Christmas and the novelty had somewhat worn off for me. The kids have always enjoyed it, though. But I don't let them play it that often, so that has helped to keep it fresh. However, I just discovered that for less than $9 a month I can instantly watch an unlimited number of movies from Netflix through my Wii. That has put the sparkle back in it for me!! :lol:

I think the novelty wears off of anything especially an electronic toy that needs $$$ games to keep it fresh.

This is one reason why I never got into video games.

I don't regret it, but I figured the excitement would wear off eventually. My ds5.5 still likes to play certain games, but my older ds could care less - he does play, but gets bored after a while. It's just something to do, like anything else. I rarely get excited about anything new anymore because 'things' making you happy is an illusion.

I expect there to be a curve. I'm just hoping that it doesn't become a dust collector in many other homes, as if it does, then it definately isn't for us.

We got one for Christmas last year, and we still like it and play it a lot. Dh especially likes the Netflix thing LOL! I would MUCH rather have the Wii than any other game system. Through Wii Sports my boys have learned a lot about sports they wouldn't know otherwise, and for one it has sparked a real interest in tennis. Hopefully he'll be able to do real tennis lessons in the near future.

I really like our Wii, too. I especially like it for the fact that it's not like the other electronic games (for us, anyway) in the sense that it doesn't seem to have that addictive effect. The PlayStation... hoo, boy, that's another story :glare:

The Wii seems to draw the whole family together (even extended family with a wide range of ages). It's a keeper :)

I really like our Wii, too. I especially like it for the fact that it's not like the other electronic games (for us, anyway) in the sense that it doesn't seem to have that addictive effect. The PlayStation... hoo, boy, that's another story :glare:

The Wii seems to draw the whole family together (even extended family with a wide range of ages). It's a keeper :)

:iagree:

I found this and I was really quite surprised. I've always been pretty anti-video game. Of course, we only own the Wii Fit and Sports Resort. I've chosen to keep our games limited to such themes, no role playing, violence, or otherwise. I just think it's less addictive that way. There are few levels to master, virtual goodies to try to gain, etc. Just personal scores on certain skills.

It isn't played as often, now that we've owned it for some time, but it's still enjoyed at times. I'll look for new games, if they have any that meet my approval, for Christmas.

Nope, don't regret it one bit. We have had ours since they came out. Yes, you do need to get new games as you go along, but that is also the fun of it.

One of my favorite things about it is the Rock Band games. My kids play, dh plays, the neighbors come to play, ds15 plays with his friends....lol How many games can you say that about?!?

Ds15 says it is one of his favorite things to do with dh.

I admit it; I am not a videogame person. Thus why the only videogames we have are a ColecoVision that is packed in a box, and has been for years. It was a gift from the ILs, for my dh a number of years ago, and after about 2 weeks we were done with it. He enjoyed it as a kid, but the novelty had worn off.

:drool5:

I grew up on a Colecovision. LOVED it and would love to have another one some day.

That is a 25 year old game system. The technology has advanced somewhat. :D I'm sure it gets old for some but it hasn't for us.

Keep in mind that you're sort of saying that your previous experience with automobiles was a Model T Ford and so you're not sure whether you should buy a new Ford because in your experience cars aren't all that useful. :)

we have had ours for a couple of years. My girls rarely play, but they go through spurts of enjoying it. My ds loves it and plays a couple of time a week. I like it because it is somewhat active. We have sports games and Mario kart and sing along games. The kids never sit down to play. Sometime dh plays with them; if they want to laugh I play.

I have a love/hate relationship with the Wii. We got it two years ago after not having any video games. As predicted, my oldest and youngest kids liked it, but didn't go crazy. My middle child is absolutely obsessed with it. From the beginning we have limited its use, but still I don't like the way middle acts when he's had too much Wii.

However . . . it provides great leverage for middle child. If he is even threatened with not having Wii time on the weekend, his behavior will shape up. And it is something that all three kids will play together, or that several friends will play together. I stink at it and don't like to play, but sometimes dh will play with the kids, too.

Well, sure the novelty wears off, as with most things. Then it sits for a while. Then one day someone's bored or remembers it and goes "Hey, let's play the Wii!" or a cool new game comes out and it gets some play for a while. And then it goes in cycles of being ignored and being played, being ignored, being played. :D

Edited by NanceXToo

No, because I use it the most; I workout with WiiFit regularly and plan to get Gold's Gym Dance next.

My dc hardly use it anymore because they each have a PS3 of their own but when friends come over they use the Wii to play their old GameCube games that have 4 way split screens for 4 players (we bought the extra thing to be able to do this).

My dc use the Wii each morning as part of their exercise, and dh and the kiddos play some of the Wii Resort games about once a week. If we had caoughed up the money for it, I wouldn't think that was worth it, but since the grandparents bought it (and were ecstatic that we finally let them buy it for our dc,) it is worth it. :001_smile: We also turn it on when we have big groups over sometimes. Watching my mil and aunt playing Wii Tennis was hilarious! :D And we let dc play a few hours as a treat when dh and I go out on a date.

The games have different incentives built in to keep going. Every week or so someone will "unlock" a new place or activity. So that keeps it fresh. If we didn't have restrictions, I'm sure they would probably play it more. They just don't get time for it.

We have purposely only let them get more active games - Wii Fit, Wii Resort - except for Big Brain Academy, which is a pretty good mental workout.

Edited by angela in ohio

My husband and I are anti-video game people. I swore that we would never have a Wii.... Then we went on holidays and visited my db a few weeks ago. My kids and I played on his Wii and I caved. We now have one.

I cannot speak to the wearing off as we have only had ours for three weeks. I am sure the novelty will wear off as everything does but I think it will still get used.

I do not regret it at all. I use it everyday to workout. I love it! I have always had problems working out on a regular basis but I have not had that problem for the last three weeks. :D

We've had ours for 2.5 years or so, and it still gets played quite a bit. My boys are only allowed 30 minutes on Sat & Sun, and they stay up late with dh on Friday nights and often play Wii together.

I've not regretted the purchase at all. I like that on many things 4 players can play together, it's fun to do with guests or grandparents, and now that we've discovered Netflix (we don't have cable), I'm even more thrilled with it (we've watched documentaries for history, and we watch Mythbusters as a family).

We've had ours since Christmas and they still play it a few times a week. I guess the novelty has worn off a bit but they do love it. My kids get frustrated with games and won't sit there for hours and hours playing them. We set the timer for half an hour or an hour.

I like that on many things 4 players can play together, it's fun to do with guests or grandparents

I was over at the in-laws for Easter dinner and we started playing the Wii. By the end of the night four generations of my husband's family, ages 8 to 80-something, were bowling with it and having a ball. :001_smile:

We got ours last Christmas and the novelty had somewhat worn off for me. The kids have always enjoyed it, though. But I don't let them play it that often, so that has helped to keep it fresh. However, I just discovered that for less than $9 a month I can instantly watch an unlimited number of movies from Netflix through my Wii. That has put the sparkle back in it for me!! :lol:

The game playing goes in spurts around here. If the little boys are over, they will play Mario Cart, etc.

I have not used my exercise games in awhile.

But... the whole family uses it to stream Netflix. That is a HUGE plus for the wii (or any of the game systems that stream).

My dc use the Wii each morning as part of their exercise, and dh and the kiddos play some of the Wii Resort games about once a week. If we had caoughed up the money for it, I wouldn't think that was worth it, but since the grandparents bought it (and were ecstatic that we finally let them buy it for our dc,) it is worth it. :001_smile: We also turn it on when we have big groups over sometimes. Watching my mil and aunt playing Wii Tennis was hilarious! :D And we let dc play a few hours as a treat when dh and I go out on a date.

The games have different incentives built in to keep going. Every week or so someone will "unlock" a new place or activity. So that keeps it fresh. If we didn't have restrictions, I'm sure they would probably play it more. They just don't get time for it.

We have purposely only let them get more active games - Wii Fit, Wii Resort - except for Big Brain Academy, which is a pretty good mental workout.

Guest Alte Veste Academy

The novelty has not worn off here. My parents gave us our Wii (about 2 years ago?). We also mainly have active games and I only allow Wii play on the Wiikends. Get it? I think I'm hilarious! :D I will occasionally (once a month, maybe) allow them to play on a weekday if it is sweltering or freezing and feel they have earned this exciting play option (or if I really need to get something done without interruption :tongue_smilie:). I do think limiting it has helped them not be obsessive and helped keep the novelty.

The kids' favorite games are Active Life Outdoor Challenge and Sports Resort. They have to cooperate in a lot of these games and they are very sweet and supportive of one another, which is endearing.

No regrets on the system itself. We got ours last Christmas and the kids still play it.

The only thing that stinks about games on a cd, if they get scratched they won't work anymore. The kids played the $50 Super Mario Bros. game for just a few months before it was too scratched to play. :cursing: And ditto my WiiFit game.

We have had ours for about 1.5 yrs and still enjoy it. Dd plays it pretty much everyday instead of watching tv and I prefer that. She loves wii fit and a zoo hospital game that is not really active but has taught her much about different animals. It is really cute when she comes out all excited because she cleared her aye aye of parasites. :D

:drool5:

I grew up on a Colecovision. LOVED it and would love to have another one some day.

That is a 25 year old game system. The technology has advanced somewhat. :D I'm sure it gets old for some but it hasn't for us.

Keep in mind that you're sort of saying that your previous experience with automobiles was a Model T Ford and so you're not sure whether you should buy a new Ford because in your experience cars aren't all that useful. :)

Oh I know the technology is different. Family and friends have Wii. We've played it. I get bored after 30 minutes. However, I'd take Model T over a new Ford minivan. :auto:

I've not regretted the purchase at all. I like that on many things 4 players can play together, it's fun to do with guests or grandparents, and now that we've discovered Netflix (we don't have cable), I'm even more thrilled with it (we've watched documentaries for history, and we watch Mythbusters as a family).

Mythbusters?!?! Well, now that can seal the deal!!!:D That's one show my dh and I really miss being able to watch. Kids were getting into it, too.

Sounds like with anything else, there is a honeymoon period. One of the things I DO like about the Wii is the many variety of full-body games available. (My BIL does bowl while sprawled on the couch, though.) And as someone mentioned, I've never seen my kids (or me, for that matter) sit down while the games are being played.

So, it's definately on the table... I'm sure my IL's and dh's siblings will be thrilled, as they will FINALLY be able to buy us something they can relate to. :lol:

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and experiences!

If it weren't for Dance Dance Revolution, the only exercise I would get would be walking around the neighborhood.

I like the social aspect of a lot of Wii games - bowling together, etc.

My daughter has a lot of trouble trying to use the Wii controller, but I'm sure that will improve as she gets older.

• 5 months later...

Grandparents bought our family a Wii for Christmas. This is big as it was the first gift in 5yrs sent to the kids. We love it! It's cold outside, Dh has limited awake time to spend with the kids, and it doesn't cost to bowl, golf, etc. He and the kids love to play a couple of rounds before he leaves for work. It's something he can do with them that is active and fun.

I have a friend that has severe physical limitations (aka she can't hold a bowling ball or swing a bat), but she can lift a Wii remote and play with her kids similar games they would do outside.

and it has yet to just sit and collect dust. The older girls don't play it as much, but my 3 boys love it. We also like being able to stream Netflix with it. Yes, the boys do get new games, which does keep it fresh, but they also still pull out the old games, including the ones for their old Gamecube (which work on the wii).

If it was just here for me, it would collect dust. I was never into videogames, but my kids are different. I try and let them enjoy things that they enjoy, not just things I enjoy (This goes for their Legos as well. To me they are annoying little pieces of plastic, but to the boys they are endless hours of fun.)

We haven't regretted ours. We've had it a year and my ds 6 still loves it. I just recently found a used wii fit board to go with it and it is awesome! I have been doing my exercising with it and my ds loves it too. Getting him to exercise each morning is a super awesome plus! Makes a great break from school on cold winter mornings!

It hasn't worn off for us, but you have to understand that a Wii by itself isn't anything. It's just a vehicle for playing games, so if you're not wanting to buy games, don't bother buying the Wii. We give games for birthdays and Christmas so we have a nice little collection and they are not bored with the Wii at all.

Nope, don't regret it.

I know that video games....need games. That doesn't seem like a reason to dislike a video game console.

The kids use ours judiciously. I haven't had any problems with it. They still play it (we got ours when it first came out) and it has held up to our expectations.

The Rock Band games are some favorites here, even with ds16 and dh.

Oh, and we all LOVE Netflix on the Wii!

We got ours from a drawing at dh's work a couple of years ago at Christmas. I wouldn't have purchased one. It was a huge hit at first, then wore off. Dh bought a few more games, those got played a bunch and then the dc tired of those, and it didn't get played. I did purchase the Wii Active Life Explorer after Christmas this year because at least it looked more active, and they have really enjoyed it, but it goes in spurts. They only get so much screen time per day, and have recently been choosing to watch movies or play games on their PCs.

I'm not a big fan of the Wii. We bought it because it was geared towards children (games) than the Xbox 360 we have. However, most of the games Wii puts out for children are stupid! We have enjoyed Super Mario Bros., Donkey Kong, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Epic Mickey and the LEGO games. Our first Wii went out before a year was up:/ DH came home with a new one a couple of weeks ago:001_huh: Some of the newer games require the new "motion sensor" remotes. I plan on getting The Biggest Loser Challenge as I've heard it's good.

I don't regret it because we use it so rarely. I think an advantage to having a large family is that the kids are so often busy creating something together, making videos, writing plays... they really do not ask to play Wii much. They might play once or twice a month. We use it a lot for Netflix though so I don't regret the purchase.

I have always had a 'no wii during the school week' rule and I think that has kept them out of the habit of playing.

So I guess spam resurrected my old thread? I don't mind - thanks for the additional feedback!

We decided not to buy a Wii for Christmas, as my dh found an air hockey table he wanted to buy instead. Not quite as small... :lol: But one of my brothers and his wife bought us a Wii for Christmas (as a surprise), and we have been enjoying it. We got 3 games with it, and I bought 2 new games this week.

I think I do need a Wii for Dummies book, though, as it seems that so many games need additional pieces, like a mat or a Motion Plus thing. I think this is a racket to get me to spend more money.:glare:

• 2 months later...