Menu

Quick! Nosebleed help...

Allergy sufferers here with many nosebleeds:

Take a piece of cardboard like you would find with a pack of matches and that size , I have used packaging from what medicine comes in (allergy pills..tylenol) fold it in two and place under top lip between lip and gum under nose area. There is a vein or pressure point there (allergist told us about it). Then get a cold pack and place on nose. Keep head facing down ..not back.

You can place cold wahcloth on back of neck ,too

We have had bleeds lasting 1/2 hr or so.

Take a piece of cardboard like you would find with a pack of matches and that size , I have used packaging from what medicine comes in (allergy pills..tylenol) fold it in two and place under top lip between lip and gum under nose area. There is a vein or pressure point there (allergist told us about it). Then get a cold pack and place on nose. Keep head facing down ..not back.

I had never heard this before...how interesting. How long before the bleeding should stop?

It usually lessens the flow w/in 5 minutes..

Another thing..my son has blown his nose and usually a large clot comes out..gross. At first I thought this made things worse, but i actuslly helped clear his passage. Then I used the tricks the allergist gave us and his bleed would stop. Also the allergist recommended saline sprays for him and to keep his nose moistened with bacatracin or vaseline.

If it doesn't stop w/in hr..see dr.

We use capsicum (cayenne) tincture for nosebleeds, using the amount called for on the label, mixed in very little water. :ack2: It really does work! It usually stops within 3 minutes. I have a friend with blood clot problems who is on blood thinners meds and when she gets cut she could bleed a lot. I gave her some and it works very well for her every single time.

Saline spray used several times a day is very helpful, as pp suggest.:001_smile:

We always wet a small piece of paper towel folded over in the top lip and the bleeds stop quickly.

Afrin will constrict the veins in the nose and stop the bleeding. Either squirt it several times or soak a Q-tip with it and rub it inside the nose. I have also soaked a wadded up tissue with Afrin and inserted it in the nostril.

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years