Menu

?? about The Illiad and The Teaching Company

I've never read The Illiad or The Odyssey either, but when I started reading about classical education, I bought copies of both. I'm still intimidated by them!

:eek:

So my question is, how do you incorporate reading these works along with viewing Elizabeth Vandiver's Teaching Company lectures?

Since I've never read them, should I start with children's books or just jump in the "real" thing with both feet?

Thanks for your help.

Twigs,

Along with my DVD came a booklet that has and outline for her course and suggested discusstin questions. I think she breaks up her lectures according to the chapters (like Ch1-3). It has been a long time since I went through it, but I remember it being very good. I would just jump in and begin reading and then watch the lecture.

HTH,

I am a strong believer in reading for enjoyment first - and then doing any analysis and literary work. I would read through the whole Iliad, loud if at all possible, before watching the lectures.

Typically I would agree with this if I were to read something like Lord of the Rings. However, with works from the ancient or medieval periods that are translations and that usually contain more difficult language, I pursue a different path. As I move into the medieval period with the kids, I find that I need to first read works that I am familiar with to reacquaint myself with the greater demands of reading Old English, then I am ready to move into new works. I have also found at my advanced age that contextual work beforehand increases not detracts from my enjoyment of a new piece of literature.

Notice, I did say contextual work, not analysis work. I do want my first impressions of a work to be my own and not someone else's.

I've never read The Illiad or The Odyssey either, but when I started reading about classical education, I bought copies of both. I'm still intimidated by them!

:eek:

So my question is, how do you incorporate reading these works along with viewing Elizabeth Vandiver's Teaching Company lectures?

Since I've never read them, should I start with children's books or just jump in the "real" thing with both feet?

Thanks for your help.

Imo, there would be no harm in reading something like Olivia Coolidge's The Trojan War which gives you the myths leading up to The Iliad and then the story itself. It's well written and will give you the basic idea and some of the excitement. Or, jump into The Iliad and read. If you understand and enjoy, then great! If not, back up to Coolidge's book at that point.

I find that there is a fine balance between the joy of reading a work for the first time and appreciating fully and the frustration of setting aside a wonderful or important work because you did not have adequate preparation for reading it.

This is quite simplistic, but my best prep for reading Homer was reading the kiddie versions to dd. It gave me the basics of the plot, first of all. The Odyssey starts in the middle, so it can be harder to follow. The Iliad has a lot of description of the action--if you know what event is being described, it can help with clarity!

I have not seen E.V.'s Iliad series, but we used the Odyssey one, and she is quite clear and helpful. I don't think you NEED to have much prior knowledge of the work, but you need to do what's comfortable for you.

ETA--I was also very familiar with the mythology, as Swimmermom suggests, and it is very helpful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by regentrude viewpost.gif

I am a strong believer in reading for enjoyment first - and then doing any analysis and literary work. I would read through the whole Iliad, loud if at all possible, before watching the lectures.

Typically I would agree with this if I were to read something like Lord of the Rings. However, with works from the ancient or medieval periods that are translations and that usually contain more difficult language, I pursue a different path. As I move into the medieval period with the kids, I find that I need to first read works that I am familiar with to reacquaint myself with the greater demands of reading Old English, then I am ready to move into new works. I have also found at my advanced age that contextual work beforehand increases not detracts from my enjoyment of a new piece of literature.

:iagree:

I am familiar with the storyline, having read the children's versions with the dc last time around. However, I just finished listening to the CD's for both the Iliad and the Odyssey and find myself actually looking forward to reading the "real thing" (Lattimore) this time around. I wasn't really expecting that and certainly wasn't looking forward to reading them before listening to the CD's.

PS. The Willcox Companion to the liad is a big help for the archaic/ difficult language/terminology and allussions that we moderns might not get.

Reading the Iliad and the Odyssey are unlike reading "normal" literature in that we already know what happens.

I think it's more fun if you read the children's versions and know your mythology. My dc loved the Iliad but many of their AP class type ps friends do not. We think it has to do with not really knowing something about the gods. Dd says the gods are the comic relief from the blood and the gore. The Teaching Co lectures are great. But if you read the books, follow some kind of study guide and watch the lectures it will take a fare amount of time. We listened to the Odyssey on a car trip.