Menu

Calculus in 6th grade?

I don't often post here because I don't seem to have many "accelerated" issues anymore, I guess. But the Algebra thread below got me curious to see where we are headed--I figured Algebra in 6th sounded just about right--and now I'm all freaked out. I hadn't yet projected out our current math plans since we switched to doing EPGY. My son loves it, begs to do 3 or more math "sessions" online of 20 minutes each a day (I've capped him at 3). We actually took off three months from math because we couldn't afford the tuition, and he jumped back in with no problem at all and kept on moving ahead full speed. (In the interim we just did informal math and a book of word problems) I expected at least some need for review!

So, at this rate he's doing just over 2 "years" worth of math a year... so even conservatively estimating his pace, and with EPGY having a 7th grade "honors pre-algebra" and "honors pre-calc" and all that, he'll still be in calculus by 6th grade. That isn't possible, is it? He's going to have to slow down here soon! I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. He doesn't really seem like a "math head", if you know what I mean. I think his verbal gifts are far stronger than his abstract ones.... but now I'm a bit freaked out. He'll slow down, right? Does all that other stuff from the other thread apply to us as well? Are there people who have radically accelerated successfully?

EPGY is self paced, they even offer college and graduate level courses, so that isn't the problem-- it's more a "should I LET him just keep moving, even to really difficult topics"? Or will he end up burned out in the end?

I wouldn't stress out about it yet, because: (1.) he will slow down as the lessons just take more time to do, (2.) elementary math is very repetitive, but once they hit algebra it becomes less repetitive and he will slow down then for that reason, and (3.) he will slow down as his other school work and other interests consume more of his time as he gets older.

I would start rethinking things when he hits algebra. The leap from elementary computation to algebra will be a good time to re-evealuate. If he truly does start doing algebra and doing it well in 3rd-4th grade, then you will have to make some decisions.

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. He doesn't really seem like a "math head", if you know what I mean. I think his verbal gifts are far stronger than his abstract ones.... but now I'm a bit freaked out. He'll slow down, right? Does all that other stuff from the other thread apply to us as well? Are there people who have radically accelerated successfully?

EPGY is self paced, they even offer college and graduate level courses, so that isn't the problem-- it's more a "should I LET him just keep moving, even to really difficult topics"? Or will he end up burned out in the end?

He will probably slow down later. Either way, I'd let him fly through arithmetic, and worry about the rest as it comes up. My DS is 8 and doing fine with Algebra (and Geometry and Statistics -- we're juggling all three), and not finding it difficult at all, but he did slow down a bit when we got here. He might still hit Calculus around 11 or 12, or he might not. We could end up sitting at Algebra/Geometry/Statistics for quite a while (there's a lot to do with those three!)

My general thoughts on the matter are that if you have a kid who might hit some really high level maths really early, then a lot of the standard advice isn't going to apply. You have to start with the kid you've got and go from there. If he's capable, then you're really not going to have anything like a "standard" progression or timetable no matter what you do... If he hits Calculus at 12 years old, you're going to have to do something, but what that something is will depend on what you've got to work with right then, and that's hard to judge from 6 years out. So if he's enjoying it now, let him fly with it. If it gets to be too much, branch out to other things. Do what's right for right now and deal with later as it comes up.

I do find it much easier to branch out now that he's finished arithmetic, just because there's so much more that's interesting at this level. That's part of why we've slowed down... Algebra, Geometry and Statistics just have a lot more meat to them! :) And I should add the caveat that I'm in an unusually comfy position here, not too far from some rather good universities and research organizations -- plenty of friendly neighborhood mentors I could draw on if needed to fill a gap between what I can do easily at home and how old I'd like him to be in college. So I might sound more at ease with all this than I might be elsewhere, just for having resources and a plan in mind. But if EPGY can fit the bill for you, then I wouldn't worry too much. Make sure that today is working smoothly and let him run with it! :)

I know ds has slowed down a bit, and at one point earlier on, I wondered if we were on the same track. I guess, if I counted grades by age, we're still looking at finishing algebra and geometry by 6th grade even if he takes a full year at each level from now on -- but in my head, that's actually 8th grade for him, so not as overwhelming. ;)

I guess we just keep at it and meet them where they are. I'll admit there are some days that I'm totally overwhelmed at the prospect of keeping up with my kids, and some days when I'm totally chill. Today I'm in denial, so I'm chill. ;)

I think it will all 'work itself out,' for all the reasons previously stated. If you let the dc go at their own pace it is their *own* pace. It is hard to not fret as we have habits from our own schooling and from other sources, I really think that your dc will do fine. I do not think you need to be mathy to be good at it. For me mathy involves pleasure in doing math as well as doing math well. I never enjoyed it, but I could do it. Going deep is going to be a benefit in the long run.

I agree with Jane. I'd check into doing some deeper math, and it doesn't have to be expensive, either. Check Myrtle's posts (and Charon's). She has recommended some interesting Russian math books at least once, I know because it was to me for my 10 yo who is not ready for Algebra even though she's ready, if you kwim. She lacks the maturity. We finally broke down and bought the Challenging Word Problems to augment the Singapore Math and they are definitely more challenging than any she's had in the textbooks. We're also going to get one of those Russian books. Just because my dd can do the basic work doesn't mean her mathematical thinking is at the same level, IMO.