Menu

Time4Learning (Math) Anyone Use This?

Homeschooling6

Anyone use Time4Learning the math part as a stand alone math program. I am having a hard time with math for my dd (5th grade). I understand that mom needs to teach math but I need some help.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has used it for math without supplementing. I know it sounds horrible, but I only have so much time in my day. Any other math will be from cooking, baking and measuring (helping her dad with building). I am also thinking of using SCM Your Business Math Series

Eventually she'll use Lial's BCM math and move to Kintetic Books but for this year I'm pretty sure we'll use Time4Learning.

Any thoughts :001_smile:

My son is only 5, but we use time4learning as a funtime supplement only. I was actually very disappointed in the math section and could not believe that some on the time4learning forums were suggesting that it could be used as a stand alone math program.

Obviously I have no clue how it is for the older grades but for first grade, no way.

I do really like the phonics and think it's very well done, but again would only use it as a supplement.

I have just started to use Time4learning as our main curriculum for my 2nd and 4th graders. Honestly, I'm not sure if it is enough or not, but they claim to cover all state standards. You can look through the lesson plans and see what is covered.

I also just found Mathscore.com and I'm planning to use this as our main math curriculum for my two 7th graders. And I might sign up the 2nd and 4th grader too.

Susan in TX

Edited by Susan in TX

We used Time4Learning for about a year and a half (quit due to issues with local internet provider; T4L is a good program). During that time, my oldest was in 4th and 5th grade, and she used T4L math without any supplementation. I remember looking at the scope and sequence, and thought it was quite thorough.

I understand that mom needs to teach math but I need some help.

:grouphug: You're not alone. I came to a point where I had to pick some curricula that did most of the teaching for me. That's one reason we're using Teaching Textbooks now.

Blessings,

Laura

We used Time4Learning for about a year and a half (quit due to issues with local internet provider; T4L is a good program). During that time, my oldest was in 4th and 5th grade, and she used T4L math without any supplementation. I remember looking at the scope and sequence, and thought it was quite thorough.

:grouphug: You're not alone. I came to a point where I had to pick some curricula that did most of the teaching for me. That's one reason we're using Teaching Textbooks now.

Blessings,

Laura

Thanks, Laura, I did try TT with her over the summer, but the instant grading frustrated her. She new when she missed a problem it was points off her score. I really wanted it to work :(

Thanks for T4L I am going to look at the scope and sequence again. I most likely will use it as her only math program. I'll have to give a review at the end of the year :D

We used the program for my 1st and 4th grader for about a week until I canceled. It seem to lack depth and would need too much supplementing to make it a stand alone course....a.k.a. big waste of $$. Here's a site that has various info on just homeschool math courses that might help you:)) http://www.homeschoolmath.net/

Thanks, I'm familiar with homeschoolmath.

I'm just having a hard time finding something for my Annette. She liked TT because it was on the computer. I was thinking about Saxon with the Technology dvds but I know all the problems would be too much for her.

I think I'm going to give T4L a go. Hopefully it'll work out. I was looking at some of the lessons and they look pretty good. So, we'll see.

Edited by Homeschooling6

We used it and I thought it was great up to a point.

I can't remember at what point it happened--but it seemed like the lessons became less interactive--maybe around 5th grade. You can call and ask someone there to find out. It happens in all the subjects--where it goes to a 'textbook' style format.

I do feel like it was a great math 'break' for us--we were still getting math in but with no planning/grading etc.

I say give it a try! You may find it is a great fit for now! I wouldn't make it a long-term plan, but there is no harm in using it for a while until she is ready for Kinetic Books (which we use and love!).

I am also 'hands off' for the most part in math--and we've been fine here. Have you looked at CLE math? My ds uses it independently and grading is very quick.

On a similar note-have you ever looked at Destination Math?

They have a 1 month free trial that we used for a 'mom math break' and I was really impressed with it.

Just google Destination Math free trial. They also run it through homeschoolbuyerscoop sometimes.

Good luck!

Edited by homeschoolally

I tried T4L last year for my then 3rd grade son. I was hoping that he could do it fairly independently since Abeka math was about to ruin our relationship. :glare:

Well, not really, but by the time we made it through the very long math and phonics lessons for the day, there was usually at least one of us in tears. :001_smile:

After we started T4L, I soon found that I had to sit with my son through much of math. Either he didn't understand it, or didn't work hard enough at it for it to do much good. For example, they usually had an exploratory exercise for each lesson. It didn't require a direct answer for this part. The child is supposed to find the answer to each of several questions by using their online manipulative and then check to see if they were right. There were several that I had to work at to find the answer, and I am certain that he would never have had the patience or discipline to manage it himself.

I can't remember how far into the year we got before I realized that it wasn't going to be enough on it's own for us. At that point, I let him continue with the lessons and helped when necessary, but I also made up worksheets and covered concepts with him myself. I referenced Abeka, online sources, and many curriculum placement tests to figure out what he should be learning. At the end of the year, he took his state required standardized test and scored very high, but I was exhausted from creating a curriculum all year. :tongue_smilie:

I like T4L and so does my son. The language was great in some respects, (I added WWE, Easy Grammar, and spelling due to retention issues) and I would use it as a math supplement, but not as a full curriculum. I know that others do and love it, but it definitely didn't work for us.

The biggest issues that I had with it as a sole math curriculum:

1. The explanations were not thorough enough for my son for new concepts. It still took lots help from me for him to be able to understand them. This might not have been as big of an issue if we had started with T4L from the beginning. There were some things that we had not covered with Abeka. (and of course, there were some that we had more than covered)

2. There just wasn't enough practice on concepts that were new to him to be able to really get it. He needed more practice before moving on.

3. No review. Once he had passed a chapter and moved on, there was no more review on many concepts for the rest of the year. I had to create my own review sheets to make sure that he didn't forget things. Even though this was very effective since I was creating the sheets especially for his needs, it was very time consuming.

This year I switched to MM. So far it is going well. I still have to sit with him most of the time, but it isn't nearly as bad as it was for Abeka. :001_smile: I still wish that he could be more independent. TT would be perfect for us if it was a bit more challenging.

Like I said, T4L is lots of fun for the kids, especially the language. I know that it helped my son with reading comprehension and prepared him well for the standardized testing in that regard. It taught some things like idioms, and synonyms in a way that my son just got it and it stuck! Plus, he never complains about doing T4L. I just wish that their math program offered more step by step instructions and explanations when needed, (more like TT does), more practice, and also more review. I would jump for it in a heartbeat!

Angela

On a similar note-have you ever looked at Destination Math?

They have a 1 month free trial that we used for a 'mom math break' and I was really impressed with it.

Just google Destination Math free trial. They also run it through homeschoolbuyerscoop sometimes.

Good luck!

We tried CLE and it was okay. I like the math program but my dd likes something more 'alive' like TT. Hmmm..............I forgot about Destination Math. I'll look into that. So, you think Destination Math would be okay as a stand alone math program? I did try it a few years back for my 1st grader and it was fun.

The biggest issues that I had with it as a sole math curriculum:

1. The explanations were not thorough enough for my son for new concepts. It still took lots help from me for him to be able to understand them. This might not have been as big of an issue if we had started with T4L from the beginning. There were some things that we had not covered with Abeka. (and of course, there were some that we had more than covered)

2. There just wasn't enough practice on concepts that were new to him to be able to really get it. He needed more practice before moving on.

3. No review. Once he had passed a chapter and moved on, there was no more review on many concepts for the rest of the year. I had to create my own review sheets to make sure that he didn't forget things. Even though this was very effective since I was creating the sheets especially for his needs, it was very time consuming.

Angela

My dd does need review. This was one of her complaints with TT. She did like the review when using CLE.

Did you use those sheets that T4L provides? I don't really like the looks of them (kind of boring) but I bet that is where the review is:confused:. I was hoping that we wouldn't need to use them.

My dd does need review. This was one of her complaints with TT. She did like the review when using CLE.

Did you use those sheets that T4L provides? I don't really like the looks of them (kind of boring) but I bet that is where the review is:confused:. I was hoping that we wouldn't need to use them.

I did use the T4L sheets whenever I though that they would be helpful. They were about the current topic that he was studying. They never included any review. :-( Some of them were somewhat helpful and sometimes it was more busywork, in my opinion.

I would also like to know if destination math is a full math curriculum and if it is good. I have never used it, but I would like to have a backup plan for if MM doesn't work for my son because of needing me so much. I will definitely continue MM for my younger daughters though. I love how it is challenging them and the way it is teaching mental math even in the younger grades.

Angela

I did use the T4L sheets whenever I though that they would be helpful. They were about the current topic that he was studying. They never included any review. :-( Some of them were somewhat helpful and sometimes it was more busywork, in my opinion.

I would also like to know if destination math is a full math curriculum and if it is good. I have never used it, but I would like to have a backup plan for if MM doesn't work for my son because of needing me so much. I will definitely continue MM for my younger daughters though. I love how it is challenging them and the way it is teaching mental math even in the younger grades.

Angela

Thanks, Angela.

I'm going to take a look at A.C.E Paces and Switched on Schoolhouse as well. I noticed that Calvert as an interactive math course but the 5th grade is not ready :( maybe next year she can try the 6th grade one.

Still searching.............but may just settle with T4L :tongue_smilie:

Okay, I'm editing this post to let you all know that Annette, and I have talked it over. Looked over samples, played demos and decided to go with Horizons :blush:

Edited by Homeschooling6

I'm glad that you figured it out. :001_smile: I know what a relief that can be!

Angela

Thanks, Angela. I don't know why I was having such a hard time with it. Actually almost all of her schooling I just couldn't figure out. I was going back and forth with history and writing as well.

With math we tried MM and CLE with her last year and they just didn't seem right for her. Weird, huh?

Have a good day :)

• 1 month later...

I am going to be honest with you here, I am not feeling the love with T4L. I used it with G1 & G2 while adding supplementation as I do not support the stand alone thoughts. Maybe for a bright, well rounded kiddo who is exposed to so much more but not my kiddos. Long story short the HS brick hit me on the head when Special Needs classes continued to fail us all.

But back to T4L. I do not like the math. There is not enough review for my son nor enough heads up lesson before the quiz of what was last year 5 questions or so. When summer came I did my own review and daily drills catching him up as much as he could.

This year so far I am ok with Teaching Textbooks Math 3. I really like the concept. While I wanted away from the online I pretty much had a rough start when Aug came. He is way too visual and hands on. Now he loves his Apologia and will soar with that. Otherwise he does so much better with a visual program no matter my hearts desire to old school it lol.

T4L is testing my patience in G3 this year though. I think because he is a struggling reader and very umm hardheaded. Wonder where he gets that from? :) But he wants to do it alone. I try, oh how I try. But like I posted today somewhere else his Social Study Test looks like a thermometer left in Canada during the Winter months. I just keep re-guessing and questioning myself to the point it drives me insane and I Zumba to death.

If anyone has any experience with G3 on T4L and an Autistic who is capable but a struggle in reading LMK. Otherwise we have never used T4L as a core curriculum. I think I mix match too much. Hands on in and away from the house with the in the classroom lets get our proof done. ;)

well we used it for everything as well- and I am here because of it-My kids went through the motions of doing it and they could pass the tests but I realized that they really didn't LEARN anything-if that makes sense-they never really retained what they did-does that make sense-so we are going to try another approach-back to books-

We used T4L last spring for 5th grade. My son really liked the math at first....but got sick of the animation. It was really nice to have someone else (so what if it was "Dan the Anchorman!") explain the new concepts.

The only thing I didn't like was that they assumed you knew things already. If you didn't or couldn't remember something...you were out of luck. Also, if you wanted to review something....you'd have to watch it all over again (not always...there are points where they ask if you understand and if you would like to watch again...but not if you were finished). I often took notes to avoid this. :(

We also had some problems with the program getting "stuck" and then we didn't receive credit for a few sections we did complete (including the quizzes). This was no big deal...I knew they were done...but it really bothered my son.

There are worksheets to back-up the videos...if that wasn't enough you could definitely find more on some free sites.

HTH :)