Menu

Queen Homeschool Books? Language and Spelling

MicahMaloo

I am interested in the books by Queens Homeschool Supply, both the Language Lessons and Spelling Through Copywork books.

The Spelling would be for my first grader. And then I am thinking of the lower levels of Language Lessons for both boys. They do look gentle and sweet, I love the poetry and art in them...are they worth it?

Also, is there somewhere else to buy them or can I only buy from Queen?

Language Lessons for the Very Young and Language Lessons for the Elementary Child with my 7 and 9 year old sons and have liked them very much. You are right, they are a gentle intro to language arts and I have found them to be teacher friendly as well. They are similar to Primary Language Lessons/ Intermediate Language Lessons by Emma Serl (newly published by HIllside Education) which I have also used. I preferred the Queen Language Lessons series because at the start of each lesson there are short written directions regarding the topic of the lesson and how to do it. The Serl books didn't have that. Not a big deal if you know your grammar, but it is so nice to pick up and go without feeling muddled about a particular topic.

The only other place I know of that sells the Queen books right now is Farm Country General Store, although when I ordered from them it took a long time to get my book and it wasn't any cheaper. Also my book was not packaged well and had creases on the cover. When I ordered a book from Queen Homeschool it arrived quickly and in great condition. I have only ordered from each company once though so take that info with a grain of salt.

I hope this helps you. Let me know if you have other questions.

Michelle J

They are similar to Primary Language Lessons/ Intermediate Language Lessons by Emma Serl (newly published by HIllside Education) which I have also used. I preferred the Queen Language Lessons series because at the start of each lesson there are short written directions regarding the topic of the lesson and how to do it. The Serl books didn't have that. Not a big deal if you know your grammar, but it is so nice to pick up and go without feeling muddled about a particular topic.

Thank you, Michelle! I have looked at (many times) PLL and I really liked it, however I really need some direction. Great...I am off to order LL from Queen. We'll be using the LL for Little Ones, book 1 for my 4 yr old (a trial run) and books 2 and 3 for my first grader...I am sure the next level might be 'ok' for him, however, in looking at the samples, I feel the lower levels would suit better at this time. ;)

One more question, in case anyone has used both. I am going to order ETC books 2 and 3 for my 1st grader...I think he will not mind these as much as what we have been doing (R & S phonics), and as I said above we need to back up for a while.....anyway will using ETC *and* LL for Queen be a great 'total' language arts combination for now? (I am also ordering Queens Spelling through copywork A in case we want to add that in later this year). Reading practice from real books, of course, will be in there as well. ;)

Opinions?