Menu

How do you decide between dance and gymnastics?

I've contemplated this for a long time and struggled with this decision. DD5 seems to have a natural affinity and interest in dance/gymnastics - much more than siblings. Last year after much contemplation we decided on gymnastics. It was a good program and I could be very happy and go back to it (taught at our local university with good equipment, instruction, etc.) However, I have a niece (in another state) who is a dance fanatic and this was obviously the right choice for her. DD5 will be 6 in a couple weeks. I feel like we need to choose one of those paths with the knowledge that she may want to continue this for many years. I am not much interested in the whole recital, expensive costumes thing - I just want to choose the path that would give her the most enjoyment, fitness, growth, etc. But I don't know which path that would be...in spite of the fact that we did gymnastics for a year. I just don't want to look back and realize that we took the wrong path. (I realize this isn't an earth shattering decision concerning a five year old but if any of you have ever been in my shoes you understand!) Any advice?

We were actually in the same boat although we did do a year of gymnastics and year of dance with my dd. It was obvious that she did well at both but definitely has more of a talent for gymnastics. I could see it in the way she moves and the types of activities she engages in- tumbling on the trampoline, etc. Also, she has a strong preference for gymnastics.

That said, we've put her in dance :001_huh::lol:. Mostly because, after talking it over with dh, we've decided that we are not in a situation with the number of kids we have to have the kids pursue sports at a competitive level (music, yes, but we can't do both). Dd is happy to do dance (not resentful that we put her in it over gymnastics) and for us it's at a more convenient location and time so there's less stress to the family to get her to her lessons.

I do feel guilty about it some days but then I realize that my kids have more opportunities that most other kids in the world and dh and I are doing the best we can- for the individual child, and for the family.

Which does your child prefer? Has she done a year of dance? I've had 2 kids now, in both dance and gymnastics and to me, it was obvious which one each was more suited to. Also at age 5, you really can't go wrong with either as they'll use the skills from both. There was a good thread a while back on gymnastics vs. dance. I'll see if I can dig it up. :)

ETA, Here's the link. :)

Edited by plain jane

Since she did gym for a year, why don't you try dance a year? She's young enough to do that. We picked gym, for now, because it's more convenient--both girls will always be able to have class at the same time. AND.... I detest dance recital time. There. I said it. It's expensive (pictures, costumes, special tights, videos, etc..) and time consuming (rehearsal and 3 plus hour recital) for them to be onstage 5 minutes. And there's an encore that they MUST still be there for. Shudder.

ETA: Both girls are athletic and show possible long term interest in other sports. If they were TRULY passionate about either gym or dance, we would accommodate it. They enjoy everything, so we picked gym for them.

Edited by snickelfritz

I'd choose whichever one she wants to do. She could always change her mind later.

I usually offer my girls a few possibilities for lessons and let them choose. I think they make pretty good choices! My younger gravitates towards gymnastics -- she's a compact muscular little girl who is fearless. She isn't very good at standing still and following directions - so ballet is out. My older gravitates towards ballet -- she's a lean, graceful girl who likes classical music. She's afraid of heights and afraid of hurting herself -- so gymnastics is out.

Realistically though, I wouldn't be in favor of either of them becoming professional gymnasts or ballet dancers. It's not a life I would choose for them.

I did want to add that my girls have awesome upper body strength, which I attribute to gymnastics and their interest in monkey bars and headstands and cartwheels. Dh likes it because it complements soccer and their natural tendency to run. He thinks it makes for more balanced PE time. Plus, he dislikes dance recitals more than I do. :)

We are going through the same issue.

DD started going to Little Gym at the age of 1 and loved it.

She took dance class last year and had decided around March that she wanted to switch back to gymnastics for the fall. Well, when the big dance recital came around in June and she was given a trophy(she had only recieved medals @ Little Gym), she decided that she wanted to dance again :lol:

From the look of things now, we will be doing both. My parents have offered to pay for gymnastics (DD is the only grandchild is very spoiled by my financially thriving parents).

We will see how things go.

AND.... I detest dance recital time. There. I said it. It's expensive (pictures, costumes, special tights, videos, etc..)

I didn't realize dance was like that too! Same thing when kids start going to competitions in gymnastics--special leo, competition fees, parents pay to even get in the doors to watch :001_huh:

How fun that your daughter is skilled enough to have the choice between two great activities! Does she show a strong inclination toward one or the other? My recently-turned-6 y.o. daughter had a choice between trying soccer with her sister or staying in gym, and she adamantly chose gym. Sometimes kids know what they really want to spend their time on. Is it possible she knows?

If it comes down to two equal choices, I'd choose convenience, but that's me.

We did 3 years of gymnastics before switching to ballet. I wish we had made the switch earlier. My dds enjoyed gymnastics but had no interest (and probably not enough talent) to pursue competitive gymnastics. Although close to our house,the gym is not near anything else and it was difficult to get my wheelchair kid into the building...it just wasn't a convenient place to be. And gymnastics was more expensive. When my dh was worried about layoffs, that was one monthly expense I wanted to reduce. There was a lot of staff turnover at the gym (relying on college kids), and while instruction was decent, it was better some years than others.

The ballet studio is downtown, walking distance to the library and other places. I can easily get my wheelchair kid in the door, and if she's not happy there, I can easily take her out for a walk or go somewhere else. The studio is excellent with wonderful instructors who really do a better job controlling the classes than the gym did. It is cheaper than gymnastics and they provide a sibling discount which the gym didn't. And I think it is fun to have a yearly recital and put on a show. If you aren't on the gymnastics team, you don't really have an opportunity to do any performance.

My dds enjoy ballet and are happy with it. You have time to stay with gymnastics awhile and then switch if you like. Many of the skills will transfer. We switched when my oldest was 9; if we had been a year earlier, she would have been in the same ballet classes as the other 8 year olds who started dance at an early age. Now she is one of the oldest in her classes, but I think she can still be in upper level classes eventually if that is her passion. Younger dd switched at almost 7 and if ballet turns out to be her thing she will be at the higher levels at an earlier age. And this is a conservative studio with ballet only--from what I've seen of what the older kids do, I have no problem with my kids aspiring to be at that level. I don't think I would say that if it were a more modern dance kind of place.

She's still young to have to make that final decision if she decides to pursue either seriously. I think they started pressuring my daughter (a ballet dancer) around 11 or 12. (:glare:) As others have said, let her try both and see which she gravitates toward naturally.

No advice on which to pick, but some info on recitals. My 15 yo dd has taken classical ballet for 11 years. The two schools she has been at for the last 9 years do not do recitals. One performed two full length ballets a year (Nutcracker and a different ballet each spring) and the other does The Nutcracker and a spring performance of classical ballet numbers. The first had a charge for cleaning the costumes, but no expensive costumes to buy, the second we pay nothing for costumes. With these schools there were no issues of inappropriate costumes or music either :001_smile: When looking at ballet/dance schools that is something to consider. Look at pictures of their performances and evaluate if you want your daughter in them.

HTH,

Mary

At age 6 I'd let her choose either if they worked into your schedule and were affordable.

I don't think you need to worry about specializing right now. My daughter's ballet studio had a girl quit gymnastics after many years and transfer into dance at age 12 and she is catching up with the other girls at a very rapid pace.

I have a 12 yo competitive gymnast and dancer. In addition to what everyone else has noted, I will add that it is quite possible to start ballet at 8 or 9 and have a professional career. That would be quite late, however, to start gymnastics and have any hope of competing in college or going into an elite program. I say this not because that is the only reason to pick one or the other right now (the chances of either happening are quite small) but only to point out that it is easier to start dance at an "advanced" age than gymnastics.

The other thing I always point out to parents in this dilemma is to try to match the child's personality to the activity, rather than just her physical talents. For instance, would she rather compete or perform? Does she have the patience for long hours in the dance studio? Is she naturally muscular or lean? Is she fearful? Hard to tell about any of this at her age, of course, but you may have an inkling that will help you steer her one way or another.

Terri

Like many others on the board, we faced the same decision last year. We picked dance after talking to some experienced parents. The general consensus was that if a child does gymnastics, they get to a certain point and then, if they aren't going to continue competitively, there's no future for them after 3rd/4th grade. It seemed like many gyms didn't even offer advance classes for non-competitive students. (We knew that competitions would not fit with our lifestyle, so that is why we ruled out gymnastics). With dance, however, there is the opportunity for competition if you want it, but the students can just take classes and participate in the yearly recitals through high school if they want.

We have been very blessed with our dance studio. The quality of instruction is great, but the tuition is low as are the extra expenses. They rent the costumes out for recitals, so you don't have to pay for the costumes - just the rental or cleaning fee. For the entire year, we paid monthly tuition ($38) and at recital time, we paid $25 for the costume and chose to get a small package of pictures for $27. That's all we paid for the year. (When my dd was a toddler, we were part of a different studio for a toddler dance class, and I know the feeling of huge recital expenses and unexpected fees sprung on you throughout the year). Our current studio is in a smaller city and has been around forever, so they have low overhead, a huge supply of costumes, and many experienced teachers. We found them by asking around and calling the various studios in the area.