Menu

Organic products buyers

Guess what I saw at Costco tonight! I saw those pressurized cans (that whipping cream usually comes in) but this time it was Organic pancake/waffle batter. I actually had it in my cart, but then put it back.

What do you think about that? Would you buy them?

:confused:

I guess I don't get what the point of the pressurized can is?

Does it somehow keep it fresher? You could do that with a vacume sealed regular pacakage. It doesn't need air blown into it or what ever the can does with the whip cream

I mean it's not like many people are going to be shooting pancake batter into their mouths at random times when they open the fridge! After all isn't that the point of whip cream in a can?

Guess what I saw at Costco tonight! I saw those pressurized cans (that whipping cream usually comes in) but this time it was Organic pancake/waffle batter. I actually had it in my cart, but then put it back.

What do you think about that? Would you buy them?

:confused:

I love to see unusual items! Though I prob wouldn't have purchased the pancake batter. I like my recipe:)

BUT I WOULD have bought the whipped cream to put on top of them after they are made:D

The more I thought of it last night, the more I was grossed out by the whole thing. Plus, we don't even eat very many pancakes/waffles around here anyway. It was just a novelty and I thought that would be cool to try once, but at what cost. So, no I didn't get it. Nor will I. Unfortunately, I didn't look at the ingredients. If it is there next time, I will.

The more I thought of it last night, the more I was grossed out by the whole thing. Plus, we don't even eat very many pancakes/waffles around here anyway. It was just a novelty and I thought that would be cool to try once, but at what cost. So, no I didn't get it. Nor will I. Unfortunately, I didn't look at the ingredients. If it is there next time, I will.

Wow, it amazes me what receive the 'organic' label these days! I wonder if it was made in China (just kidding)!

I know this is silly, but I feel the need for pitty... I wish I could by pancake batter at Costco. We are a GF family, and just making pancakes takes like 10 different GF flours (which make a mess, no gluten means they fly everywhere). To just be able to buy the "normal" stuff would be so nice. OK, getting of my pitty pot. :o

Well, there's the million dollar question! Which are the BEST to buy? The nutshell answer is that it depends on your goals, because your purchases depend on your particular convictions.

If you want to buy organic label products because you believe they are freer of toxins for your family, then you might not dig too deep, and you'd buy the pressurized, canned, pancake mix (btw, ick!).

If you want to support sustainable farming and/or healthful eating, you'd run from the big organics that are available in places like Costco, and Safeway, and WalMart, because you'd know that they don't really represent what "organic" was meant to meant way back when the movement first got started.

But, when you started digging deep -- see -- http://cornucopia.org/index.php/who-owns-organic/ you'd realize that you're trapped by our country's conglomerate, consumerism, marketing-heavy, shareholders must win, culture, and you'd see that you are left with very few choices other than big organics.

So, then, you'd try to source local products from farmers whom you can get to know and/or trust. You'd shop at farmers' markets, or from CSA's. You'd plant a garden. You'd spend more time that you ever thought possible finding "pure" food for your family. And, you'd always wonder how it got so complicated.

It's a tricky road. I like smaller companies, independently owned companies (http://www.certifiedorganic.bc.ca/rcbtoa/services/corporate-independent-brands.html), but their prices are generally higher. Cooperatives are good, too, for the most part -- like Organic Valley Milk. BioNaturae is a nice company (I think). Muir Glen is huge. Cascadian Farms is importing many vegetables from China.

You do the best you can. And then, you punt.

Doran