Menu

Saxon Math vs. Horizons Math

kmacnchs

Still trying to find the "right" math for my dd. We did Saxon last year and it was just TOO much! However, if I didn't pay attn and skipped too much meeting book stuff, dd would forget. I like MEP as a supplement but want something else as my base program. I am looking at Singapore & Horizons. (Keep in mind, she is just a "normal" math student, not advanced or anything)

Has anyone done Saxon & Horizons and could compare them for me? Does Horizons have "too much" as well? One lesson in Saxon would take us an hour & a half and I do not want to spend more than 30-45 min total on math/day.

Anyone want to vote for Singapore or Horizons for an average math student?

tia!

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

Horizons is advanced and while it's not incremental like Saxon it's very spiral. We used Horizons for 5 years and Saxon for 3 quarters.

Still trying to find the "right" math for my dd. We did Saxon last year and it was just TOO much! However, if I didn't pay attn and skipped too much meeting book stuff, dd would forget. I like MEP as a supplement but want something else as my base program. I am looking at Singapore & Horizons. (Keep in mind, she is just a "normal" math student, not advanced or anything)

Has anyone done Saxon & Horizons and could compare them for me? Does Horizons have "too much" as well? One lesson in Saxon would take us an hour & a half and I do not want to spend more than 30-45 min total on math/day.

Anyone want to vote for Singapore or Horizons for an average math student?

tia!

I've used both Saxon (K, 1, 2, and 3 and then 4/5 or 5/4 or whatever it's called these days ;)) and Horizons (K, 1, 2, and 3). I think they both have a lot of work -- but the work is different. Saxon has a lot of review of previously-taught concepts, along with a few problems covering the topic for that lesson. My recollection is that a Saxon lesson will have *many* kinds of problems in it. Horizons, on the other hand, will review fewer topics in the course of a lesson, but the student will be asked to do lots of problems on those few topics. So either way, there is a lot of review and there are lots of problems -- it's a question of whether you're doing 30 problems on 6 topics (Saxon) or 30 problems on 3 topics (Horizons).

You didn't say how old your dd is, but if I had to choose between Saxon and Horizons, I'd probably go with Horizons. I used to tell ds that if there were 15 problems in a set and he got the first 10 right, he didn't have to do any more. It worked well because all the problems in that set were designed to work on the same concept. In Saxon, however, there are fewer problems for each concept, and it would be harder to eliminate some and still have a decent amount of practice.

In terms of Singapore (I've used levels 1-4) vs. Horizons for an average math student, I'm probably in the minority here, but I would go with Horizons. Singapore worked well for us in the early grades, but as the math became more abstract, I didn't find that the Singapore approach helped with understanding, and there was not nearly enough review (how much review a student needs is a very individual thing). However, there are many satisfied Singapore users out there!:)

I am going to bump again...I appreciate all the opinions!

I DO NOT like curriculum jumping for many reasons (main one being that we do not have hs $$) but I have jumped from Abeka to Saxon to MEP and I'm not sure it was a problem with the curricula but more that it was just beyond her level. The only problem is, I feel like I can't go back to the ones that failed for us - dd has an IMPECCABLE memory and will prob. cry if I bring out Saxon right now...

So this time around I am working to find a better fit (for her level) but I don't know where to go as far as curriculum...

thanks again :)