Menu

English and Literature on Transcript for Same Year

Working on transcript....ahhhhh. My dd has done 5 english credits.

9th grade American Literature (2 semesters of Lightning Lit)

English 1 (Rod & Staff 9/10 Grammar and Comp, Wordly Wise,

and Writing Strands 7)

10th Grade British Literature (2 semesters of Lightning Literature)

English 2 (Completion of R&S 9/10, Writer's Workshop)

11th Grade English 3 (Great Books Study ala WTM )

Will it look weird on her transcript to not list English I,II,III,IV? I have seen that some put English and Lit together as one course, but not giving her credit for all of these would be criminal. She put in every minute and MORE.

Her transcript is grouped according to year. Should I list two English courses in one year? Any advice? TIA

Here are the entries that I listed on my daughter's transcript for each year of her high school language art studies. The classes in 9th and 10th were a combination of at home and out of the home classes. The classes in 11th and 12th were taken at a community college and were each four hour quarter long classes. (The community college transcript was sent along as part of her application materials.) You can see that 10th grade was only 0.75 credits but the other years all had more than one credit worth of work.

Regards,

Kareni

9th grade:

World Literature from 1700 to 2000 - 0.50

Literature: Fantasy - 0.50

Literature: Greek Plays - 0.25

10th grade:

College Preparatory Essay Writing - 0.50

Literature: Middle English - 0.25

11th grade:

Composition - Intro. to Argument - 0.50

Composition - Style and Argument - 0.50

Survey of World Literature - 0.50

12th grade:

Latino/a Literature - 0.50

Composition - Writing the Research Paper - 0.50

Folklore and Mythology - 0.50

Here are the entries that I listed on my daughter's transcript for each year of her high school language art studies. The classes in 9th and 10th were a combination of at home and out of the home classes. The classes in 11th and 12th were taken at a community college and were each four hour quarter long classes. (The community college transcript was sent along as part of her application materials.) You can see that 10th grade was only 0.75 credits but the other years all had more than one credit worth of work.

Regards,

Kareni

9th grade:

World Literature from 1700 to 2000 - 0.50

Literature: Fantasy - 0.50

Literature: Greek Plays - 0.25

10th grade:

College Preparatory Essay Writing - 0.50

Literature: Middle English - 0.25

11th grade:

Composition - Intro. to Argument - 0.50

Composition - Style and Argument - 0.50

Survey of World Literature - 0.50

12th grade:

Latino/a Literature - 0.50

Composition - Writing the Research Paper - 0.50

Folklore and Mythology - 0.50

I like this! I, too, lacked inspiration on how to differentiate what was taught in each level of English. This will work nicely :)

I like the idea of renaming some of the courses; however, I just wonder if it will be strange that I have two English credits in 9th year, two English credits in 10th year, 1 English credit in 11th year, and no English credits in the senior year. I am totally comfortable with claiming every credit....just wondering if I need to give her another English class this year (horrors) for appearances sake. Her English/writing ACT and SAT scores are nearly perfect...I'm just freaking out because I don't have this neat little English in each year's slot. Has anyone else submitted a transcript without an English during one year? Thanks so much.

I like the idea of renaming some of the courses; however, I just wonder if it will be strange that I have two English credits in 9th year, two English credits in 10th year, 1 English credit in 11th year, and no English credits in the senior year. I am totally comfortable with claiming every credit....just wondering if I need to give her another English class this year (horrors) for appearances sake. Her English/writing ACT and SAT scores are nearly perfect...I'm just freaking out because I don't have this neat little English in each year's slot. Has anyone else submitted a transcript without an English during one year? Thanks so much.

I think that I would be reluctant to go without English one year. Is there a special topic that your daughter would enjoy pursuing?

Creative Writing or Speech? (Hewitt has a syllabus for each)

Writing a novel? (NaNoWriMo)

An in depth study of a favorite author or genre?

A poetry study?

Regards,

Kareni

Could speech/debate be considered an English credit? I never considered that. She'll be participating in a group this year that will use Shipps (?) book Introduction to Argumentation and Debate. I had just planned to list that as an extracurricular activity. They'll have to research, write and prepare speeches. Thank you for helping me.