Menu

How long does a Saxon Algebra lesson take?

My daughter began Saxon Algebra 1 in June (just a few lessons) and will continue at the end of the month.

She watches the Dive CD and then I have her complete every problem.

It seems to be taking her a long time. Or it seems like a long time to me. But then I began thinking maybe it is supposed to take this long. She's very good at math so that is not the problem (she usually gets about 98% correct)

She is taking about 1 hour (maybe a little more) to watch the DVD and do her work. The DVD is not very long (10 minutes at most I think).

Does this seem like a reasonable amount of time?

I really want her to get through the whole book by June.

It is reasonable to spend at least one hour per day on most high school subjects--especially Math. I would consider 1.5 hours (including instruction time) reasonable as well. Pacing is also and INDIVIDUAL issue.. some students work faster or slower than others... Much more than 1.5 hours a day and I would split the assignment over 2 days if needed (I would NOT skip problems--especially with Saxon).

Both of our guys, one a math whiz/daydreamer and one a focused math struggler, took about 45 minutes to 1 hour for their Saxon lessons until they reached Advanced Math and Calculus. The time for the math whiz didn't change, but ds who struggled with math needed about 1.5 hours for the lessons in the last two books. I also found that most subjects took about 1 hour at the high school level. So, for 5 classes, including reading literature, their school day was about 5 - 6 hours. Dd is in 8th grade and working about 5 - 6 hours.

I agree with the suggestion to work all problems. Our guys worked all problems and did not use calculators. Eventually, they worked math problems quickly and with great accuracy. If you have read my other posts, I know, I know. I am repeating myself. Sorry, we had great results with Saxon.

Bonita

My kids take anywhere between an hour and an hour and a half. They watch the Saxon Teacher CD though. It is a bit longer, as I have them listen to the presentation, then do a problem and watch them correct it on the CD- for each problem. My DD said she thinks it takes a long time, but also says it is helping her.