Menu

Welcome to the Madison County, Alabama forum group!

Greetings!!

First, I have to wholeheartedly thank The Well-Trained Mind webmaster for allowing us to have this wonderful space to share information and ideas! Please take a moment to review their posting guidelines and policies. Second, WELCOME Madison County Homeschoolers!

It is my hope that this forum will serve as an arm of communication to share opportunities, events, and even needs within our County. I will use the next three threads to act as "stickies" (once I figure out how to manage that!) where we will provide links to the available cover schools in our areas and ongoing events such as Free Days at the Museums/Botanical parks etc.

I would ask that you keep the topics related to homeschooling in this area, and if you know of coverings or events you would like to have included on the "stickies" area..please send me a private message so I can keep them all in one folder and they won't get lost in the list of messages here.

By providing families with this helpful resource we can help create an active community where our children can learn, grow and be inspired!

Thank you and I look forward to sharing this journey with each of you!

Tara Hall

Way Home Homeschool Mom

Toney, Alabama

This is a great idea! There's so much to do in Northern AL, and there are a surprising number of folks who do hs here. Good stuff!

Speaking of which, is anybody planning to attend Panoply in HSV? I was hoping to go, but Dh will have the two bigs off on a campout, and since that takes out my top three helpers, I'm not sure I'd be up for it w/ just the littles. :eek:

Guest Pam in AL

Hi, Tara!

I live in Scottsboro and would love to become acquainted with other homeschoolers in North AL. I am only about 50 minutes from H'ville so I am interested in finding out about events that we can participate in. I am also interested in info regarding cover groups in Madison Co.

I will be checking this forum frequently. Thanks for getting this going. It's a great idea!

Pam

Welcome!!!

It has been busy this past week and after this weekend I should be able to get on here and create the stickie sections that will hopefully answer a lot of your questions! As far as Panoply, I've never been!! It just never works out with our schedule! We actually have a cam-pout as well this weekend! :) I'm so happy to see y'all here! Please pass along the information!!!

Blessings!!! I'm probably going to set up a stickie for "introduce yourselves" so please come on there and let us get to know each other! :)

Tara

Guest Solidreality

Hello to everyone so far! Just wanted to let you in on a few things...today is Earth Day (and we try to attend and sprinkle "Creation Day" ideas about....g) and tomorrow (April 23) is Shakespeare's birthday.

Since April is Poetry month and April 28 is Poetry Reading Day, one could celebrate all three by staging a "reading" of Shakespeare's most readable sonnets on that day while doing a quick encyclopedia workshop on "What is a Sonnet?".

I am hoping that next year at about this time, I can sponsor/host a Poetry Workshop, ending with a "Poetry Reading Tea" afterwards. It would be designed for all ages, being basic in nature, with any that would like to help take the younger ones off to do younger poetry if that is allowable. It is all in the "brewing" stage right now.

ABOUT PANOPLY

:iagree: Panoply is a great place to get fresh ideas for art fun in the homeschool. My favorite exhibits are the art displays from the elementary and higher level schools. The art teacher from Bob Jones High School seems to repeatedly get some very mature quality artwork from her students. I walk around taking notes on the media that are used. Then we go home and work from our list throughout the year. I've never yet done all that they do, so one can be really armed to the teeth with creative ideas.

The cultural dances are also interesting and the discipline shown from the martial arts exhibits. I enjoy that my children learn in a single weekend how to discern between that which is excellent and that which is "less than". And why.

That's about it for now. I am so sorry, Tara, that we were unable to make it to see Dutch with the farrier. I would like to know how it all turned out. We prayed for Dutch earlier that week.

Tamara

Madison, AL

Guest Solidreality

CE AT CURRICULUM FAIR THIS WEEKEND

There is a curriculum fair at Willowbrook Baptist Church on Bailey Cove Road in Huntsville from 9 to 3pm. Some classical education publications will be represented in addition to the regular homeschool fare (Veritas will be there for sure). So if you can come, that will be an opportunity to see some of the material first-hand for next year.

Should we all wear red carnations? :D

I will either be there OR we will be taking an impromptu opportunity to drive to Lancaster, PA to meet my husband on business. I have a lot of genealogy to do there and Victoria is reading The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin, so a short day-trip into Phillie should revive her interest. We are hoping to drive the "Great Wagon Road" on the way up or down as a pre-cursor to our family history trip through the Cumberland Gap next month. Isn't God good to provide for these opportunities? It is a win-win...we either get to go to PA or we get to attend a curriculum fair and browse CE stuff with other homeschoolers. God is so good. :thumbup:

CE AT CURRICULUM FAIR THIS WEEKEND

There is a curriculum fair at Willowbrook Baptist Church on Bailey Cove Road in Huntsville from 9 to 3pm. Some classical education publications will be represented in addition to the regular homeschool fare (Veritas will be there for sure). So if you can come, that will be an opportunity to see some of the material first-hand for next year.

Should we all wear red carnations? :D

Thank you so much for posting it - I hadn't heard a thing about it. However, we do have some friends who might also enjoy going, so I'd like to pass the word.

Dy

Guest kd1219

Hi Tara,

I found the board and I am registered. Not an easy task for someone like me who is practically computer illiterate! :)

We don't typically attend Panoply..... too much walking for our family.

We will be at the Curriculum Fair at Willowbrook this Saturday. If you have never looked at Rod and Staff curriculum you should browse through it while you are there. We have used all R&S for K-4th. The math and english are excellent....they start slow but by 4th grade they are equivalent to most other programs. They are MUCH cheaper!!

I love their Reading series too........at least 1st - 4th. I haven't used the higher levels yet.

I am seriously thinking of trying ABEKAs DVD school for next year so I am going to look into that while I am there.

Reba

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

For Way Home families and a news flash for all others...the Scripps Howard spelling bee is taking registration right now. I have volunteered to help organize the registration for Way Home families in the entire state. Stuart Whitney has paid for the registration fee so ALL you have to do if you want to participate is get in touch with your regional coordinator (there are 4 regions of spelling bee competitions, Montgomery, Birmingham, Mobile and Huntsville)...and when they hold their 'bee's' all you have to do is present your Way Home identification card and all children who want to participate are eligible...they can't be over 15 I think but there is no minimum for age participation.

For all other coverings in the state...it's very easy to sign up...your covering coordinator will need to fill out an application form and pay the $99 fee...this enables every family that participates through your covering to participate...But, the deadline for filling out these forms is around October 15th...so act soon!

I will be given the administrators names in January, I'll post them here..but please make sure your covering knows about the opportunity to sign up all families for just $99!

It's great motivation for learning some spelling rules and having fun!

Tara Hall

lmhall2000@yahoo.com

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...