What's with the ads?

Photo

Dorothy Mills history books

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 calandalsmom

calandalsmom

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4521 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:06 AM

Someone had recommended these on a thread about middle ages studies for the logic stage.

Im interested in hearing any opinions about these books. I can't find any info on the author or the publisher.

I think the books are pricey and before I make the investment Id like to hear from people who use them.

#2 dsmith

dsmith

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1671 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:24 AM

I've not read them, but I thought I had heard that Memoria Press is going to reprint them.

ETA:
I looked through the Spring 2010 catalog, and in an article by Cheryl Lowe, it states that they use Ancient World, Ancient Greeks, and Ancient Romans by Mills in 7th and 8th, and that they are available from MP. They are not in the catalog that I have seen, but if you call, they may have them for sale. I know they are working on a lot of new things, so they may have lesson plans in beta also... Worth a call, anyway.

Edited by dsmith, 13 August 2010 - 10:46 AM.

#3 lisak

lisak

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 240 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:35 AM

My daughter uses these with her Truthquest history. I purchase them from Amazon. She likes them. I do not read all of the books, but do a general flip-through of them. They are pretty thorough. She will be working through Renaissance & Reformation this year and Mills will be her main spine book at the high school level.

#4 TaraTheLiberator

TaraTheLiberator

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8073 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:26 AM

I read The Book of the Ancient World and I thought it was very interesting and well done. I am planning to have my kids read them in the logic stage.

Tara

#5 Kfamily

Kfamily

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3490 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:30 AM

We will also be using Renaissance and Reformation Times this year. I also have one for Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome and The Middle Ages. I really like these and plan on using more of them in the years to come.

Here are some samples from Google books to look through online:

http://books.google....epage&q&f=false

http://books.google....epage&q&f=false

#6 Caitilin

Caitilin

Die K├Ânigin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4123 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 11:39 AM

I just bought these this summer, so we have them for the next several years. I bought used library editions, so well-bound hardcovers, for MUCH less than the new paperback reprints, just FYI. :) I got them through Alibris. I am looking forward to using these.

#7 Avila

Avila

Let Nothing Disturb You

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1849 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 12:25 PM

Dorothy Mills was head of the History Department at the Brearley School in Massachusetts, and she wrote this series of history books to use at her school. You can usually get the old copies used for about $5 each, although some are rarer (and therefore pricier) than others. The older books have nice maps that are not included in the reprints, but everything else seems to be the same.

The series is written in narrative form, much like SOTW, and has a very conversational feel. It focuses almost exclusively on Western Civilization though, which I find to be one of its only real flaws. Mills seems to be a protestant Christian, but she is fair and balanced in her viewpoints. I never find her to be preachy or pushy. She is also fair and inclusive of Catholics, which is not easy for me to find. I think these could be used very well secularly.

The series covers ancient times up until the Reformation. I think they work well in the logic stage, but they would also be strong enough to be used with primary sources for high school. I have used all of them except for the The People of Ancient Israel, which I haven't found it necessary to use. The Book of the Ancient World does cover the Israelites some, and that would probably be more than enough for a good introduction for secular coverage.

I just really like these books, and they are the main reason I can never go with a package and stick with it. They do dovetail nicely with History Odyssey and the Kingfisher, and I find they fill in a lot of details and social history that other books don't have. I don't like my history to go just from one war to the next, and Mills provides a really nice flow without overwhelming me.

Edited by Asenik, 13 August 2010 - 12:46 PM.

What's with the ads?