Menu

Anyone use Zaner-Bloser's G.U.M.?

awanama

Would you please share your opinions of this program? Do you feel it is complete or lacking in anything?

I'm looking for something to do with my 4th grade dd that is secular and has some color to it. She is real visual and just can't handle black and white. The only other thing I've found that might work is The Complete Book of Grammar and Punctuation.

Thanks!

I don't remember GUM being colorful. The cover was shiny with lots of gumballs but I recall the pages being black & white with instructions in red color. The format was repetitive and I don't recall diagramming.

How about using something like Growing With Grammar, but letting her use color pencils to write in answers?

Calvert's 4th grade grammar cd was kind of cool. It has an underwater theme but I don't remember the exact lessons themselves.

BJU English student workbooks are colorful, but obviously are not secular.

They each did at least three years with this program and did remember any of it. It's not very colorful either. The only program that I know of that has any color is at all is Voyages in English but it would not be worth the money unless you were going to use the writing portion as well and it is a pretty rigerous program.

I agree that Growing with Grammar is a good program. Two of my girls have really liked it. Three of my girls really liked Easy Grammar as well. Of the two GWG is actually easier and more complete. It is visually pleasing with lots of white space and not an overwhelming amount of work on each page. It starts diagramming in third grade.