Menu

Can anyone compare Teaching Textbook Geometry to Jacobs? (m)

We looked at both of these, went with TT, and probably should've switched to a 3rd option.

TT has a lot of proofs--it's great for those kids who can handle the logical thinking required. Ds 18 couldn't. I don't think there are any constructions, but you could pull in Key to... for that, as it's practically ALL constructions.

Jacobs continues it's chatty, explain-it-all style. Neither fit ds, and I should have had Dad teach math, like we are this year.

I'm sure others can help more.

We started with Jacob's Geometry with the videos by askdrcallahan. *I* really liked the textbook, but dd hated it. We ended up switching to TT Geometry, which dd has loved. She just finished the book. Now, I've heard it's not "rigorous" enough, but I'm not sure how. Dd has been doing proofs in every chapter test. The tests looked rigorous to me (but I really don't get Geometry at all - never have - it's sort of the running joke in our family). She continued to do the geometry in the Saxon Algebra 2 text (which she did concurrently with geometry). Instead of the DIVE dvds, though, when it came to the geometry in Saxon she would use the TT dvds to explain the concepts. She REALLY liked the explanations given in TT better (and she did great on the Saxon tests geometry questions, too).

You will get LOTS and LOTS of opinions on math on this forum. Do what works for your dc. It doesn't matter how "rigorous" the curriculum is if they're not learning the material in the text and it's like pulling teeth to get them to do it, what's the point? I have two children and use two different curriculums because they have two different learning styles (polar opposites as a matter of fact).

Just my $.02 worth.

Well, we've done a number of Algebra texts in our quest to find a good fit for our mathy dd, including TT and Jacob's. First we went with Jacob's, but it was too slow for dd (not necessarily because it was, but I think we could have skipped the first part which is mostly pre-Algebra.) We bought Gelfand's, which I love, but the problems were too hard for someone her age who hates math even though she is mathy. We do do that, but not just that. We bought Lial's Introductory Algebra and that was more rigourous than Jacob's and a much better fit.

However, dd likes to learn math from a textbook and got stuck a couple of times. We bought Teaching Textbook to help her with one section and it didn't even cover it. Teaching Textbook is not a rigourous math program at all, IMO. I think for a nonmathy student who struggles with Algebra and is planning to pursue the arts, it could be a good fit. Honestly, we're all wired differently as a human race and if math is a real push, it's better to have something a student can read, understand and do.

Now we have Dolciani for a solid Algebra 1 review (because dd took 2 years for Algebra 1 because she was 11 and, as I mentioned, hates math.) We have the 1965 one, which I really like in many ways, and we'll go through Gelfands along with this because my dd loves the theory part of math better than the application and because I think it's helpful to understand it. I don't think Jacob's, TT or Lial's covers that nearly as well as Gelfand's. If you read Dolciani's explanations in the earlier editions it's solid math writing. While my dd is interested in pursuing science, I want her to do a lot of thinking about what she's studying as opposed to just learning application.

To be fair, not every point in our homeschool journey has been equally academically rigourous as we've had other areas we've had to focus on to help our children develop outside of the academic realm. However, my dd's goal is to go to university on full scholarship so that she can leave home to go, so if she's going to do this her program will have to be rigourous.

We have both Jacob's and TT Geometry. DD chose TT. She enjoyed the course and finished it this week. She had a nice chuckle at the end too....

She did comment recently that going through the course has helped her in the geometry questions on the SAT practice tests. I think because beacuse of all the proofs she had to do.

HTHs

P/S I have a sample DVD of Ask. Dr. Callahan and was most unimpressed by his teaching. I especially didn't like that he would sometimes stand in front of the white board covering the work he was supposed to be showing.