Menu

How important are transcript codes on a transcript?

When we belonged to an umbrella school, they prepared transcripts for both of my daughters. I noticed that they put course codes for every course. (we no longer belong to an umbrella school)

The transcripts that are free online, and the samples that I've seen, don't have course codes. I'm curious, just how important are course codes on a transcript?

Thank you,

Dee

ps I'm in Florida.

Guest ME-Mommy

We just submitted our first transcript -- and course codes were not important.

I used the FREE version of Homeschool Tracker for my record keeping and then used Word to type up my transcript. You can play around with fonts, layout, etc. to make it personal.

ETA: I did use "Homeschooling High School" as a reference for figuring GPA, course descriptions, credit hours, etc. I would highly recommend it...

I made up my own. If I could figure out how to get it in an e-mail I could e-mail you the template. It's a simple one that goes by year (9th, 10th, etc.) not by subject or semester. Nobody has had a problem with it, and it's easy to plug in the info.

I got it from a friend many years ago, so I know it can be e-mailed. I can check with my dh if you're interested.

I once took a seminar done locally (via Rock Solid) and they recommended course codes simply because it put the courses in a language the schools understood. When doing my older boys' transcripts if I felt a course code adequately described what we had done, then I used it. Otherwise I did not. The colleges never said anything one way or the other about it.

Brindee, I have a few.

I found this one for free: http://teascript.com/

and then there's this one that you download, it's pretty kewl:

http://www.homeschool-curriculum-savings.com/homeschool-transcript-template.html

Let me know if any of these are similar to the one you are talking about. There are also a few software programs that charge from 29-50 dollars. I have been wondering about those or whether they are even necessary.

I'm about to start 10th grade with my son, but I wanted him to have a 9th grade transcript around so that if something ever happened to me, they would know how to proceed from there. I know, morbid thought, but also you never know. On the off chance that he did return to the public school, they would also need records of what he did and my husband wouldn't have a single clue. :)

Dee

Brindee, I have a few.

I found this one for free: http://teascript.com/

and then there's this one that you download, it's pretty kewl:

http://www.homeschool-curriculum-savings.com/homeschool-transcript-template.html

Let me know if any of these are similar to the one you are talking about. There are also a few software programs that charge from 29-50 dollars. I have been wondering about those or whether they are even necessary.

I'm about to start 10th grade with my son, but I wanted him to have a 9th grade transcript around so that if something ever happened to me, they would know how to proceed from there. I know, morbid thought, but also you never know. On the off chance that he did return to the public school, they would also need records of what he did and my husband wouldn't have a single clue. :)

Dee

Those are both good! The second one is kind of like mine, only mine is just for one grade, not all 4. I also have the grading scale/system on the bottom. I don't do A+'s only A's. Anyway, since you have those, you wouldn't need a template of mine. :)

My oldest ds is trying to work on getting in to a school in Mexico. They're insisting on transcropts and complete info. from 7th & 8th grades!!!:001_huh: He has to have proof that he was a US citizen in those 2 years, detailed transcripts signed by the principal and notarized. They're not even wanting his college info. (he'll be a sophomore)! Huh?!

ANYWAY, I think making up transcripts for those grades might be a good idea too, just in case..... And put OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT on it somewhere!

Wow, I just received an email from Lee Binz today in which it directed me to an hour webinar (free) and one of the bits of info. in there was that parents should do a 7th and 8th grade transcript for practice. Hmm? Something to think about, I guess. :)

Anyway, thanks Brindee, and everyone else who posted. My fears are eased a bit...oh why do I always let everything highschool rattle me so much. I am going to go back and remove those A+'s and just make them A's. I did A+ on subjects that he scored over a 95 at the end of averaging everything out, but yeah, it makes him look like a braniac, and that he is not. :) Intelligent and bright, yes, a genius, no! Also, I want to make sure that his year's ACT tests reflect those grades.

I can't help but wonder that none of those grades mean a darned thing if they score poorly on those entrance tests like the ACT and the SAT's.

Many Blessings and Good Luck to your son, Brindee!!

Dee

Hey Dee,

I used course codes for almost all classes on ds1's transcript. I didn't code for a few classes like logic and systematic theology, probably becuase I couldn't find codes for those. I have no idea whether it makes a difference; can't imagine it affects admissions. I have heard, however, that it is easier for admission folks in the state universities to be able to compare apples to apples and that course codes are therefore helpful.

HTH,

Lisa

Thanks, Lisa. I guess I thought that if I couldn't find a course code, I couldn't leave it blank. Now I know that I could put course codes for the ones I have and leave the ones I can't find blank.

Dee :)

who is still messing around with a bunch of templates trying to figure out one she likes. Sometimes for an obsessive person like me, too much choice is a bad thing. Wonder why I chose the umbrella to do it for me with the first two??? :lol: I'm looney!

Can you elaborate a little on what the key was about? Was it a description of the courses?

When you sent in a description of the courses, was it attached to the official transcript?

The key was a section in which I discussed where various courses had been taken (for example, at home, at a co-op, at the local community college). I also noted which courses were currently in progress.

The course descriptions were not physically attached to the transcript; they were in a separate document.

I'd be happy to send you (or anyone else who is interested) copies of both the transcript and the course descriptions if you send me a personal message with your email address.

Regards,

Kareni

WHERE would you find a list of course codes?

:001_huh:

The course codes for FL are on the DOE website. They are standardized for the whole state, so feasibly if you took Biology at one school it was the same as Biology at another school. FL homeschoolers use them to basically say that the same material was covered at home.

FL homeschoolers use them to basically say that the same material was covered at home.

For me, I have only used the codes if I felt certain we covered the same material as the schools. I print out the course descriptions and use it as a sort of check list. If our studies deviated from the course descriptions then I did not. I'm not sure if all parents are that adamant about adhering to the spirit of the code but I wouldn't be able live with myself if I didn't.

• 1 month later...
Guest vkoneness

Hello,

I know this post may be a little old but I am in need of some help my daughter will be heading to her 3rd year of highschool and I am looking at creating her a transcript that we won't have a problem with,I have read about course codes on a transcript as well as detailed information concerning the classes that were taken. If someone would be willing to share an example with me I would really appreciate this, also if I could see an official transcript also.

Thanks In Advance for your help:001_smile::001_smile::001_smile::001_smile:

If applying for HOPE money for homeschoolers in GA, course codes must be used. It's a pain in the....

The course codes have a two digit subject code, followed by several other numbers after the decimal that differentiate the level of the course (AP, honors, etc.)

I'm having to do this for my dd now as she's a senior and is applying to schools. If I want HOPE to pay for her education, this has to be done before she graduates. Grrrr.