Menu

Which is better for a visual learner: adding DIVE cds....

Amy in TX

to our Saxon grade 5/4, or switching from Saxon to Math U See?

My dd10, grade 4, struggles with math. We are using Saxon 5/4. She understands *how* to do, for instance, multiplication or division. But she can't tell *whether* to do multiplication or division when given a word problem. There is a constant struggle to understand the concepts behind the mechanics.

She's a very interactive, people-person and finds reading math lessons unbearable, although she's extremely bright & reading way above grade level.

In another post a few days back someone recommended MUS for this type of problem. That made me wonder if Saxon's DIVE cds would serve the same purpose, or is it worth switching to MUS?

TIA for any advice...

Amy

:o)

Forgot to add that in my personal opinion it is difficult to start Math U See in the middle. Usually it is better to go back to the beginning and move quickly through each level until you catch up. But that can get expensive, especially if you were to go through three levels in one year. Just a thought.

My dd11 (doing Saxon 7/6) STILL has difficulty figuring out when to do a certain operation in a word problem. Every day there is a question about it.."Do I multiply or divide?". It takes time and experience to figure this out. 4th is still early. Give her time with that and just work through the problems with her, pointing out "clue words" as to what operation to use. Explain why you used a certain operation. She'll get it. I wouldn't switch now. Of course, I don't know a ton about MUS except that I like Steven Demme and based on the Demo DVD I have, it looks like a great program. I'm actually thinking of switching my ds6 who is just now using Saxon 1.