Menu

Need help planning an Interior Desgin/Decorating Course...

I am so stuck... I am trying to plan a one semester course for dd and most of the resources I am finding are more for the professional/architectural aspect of design.

I checked out Home Decorating for Dummies from the library and it's a fabulous book that covers pretty much everything that needs to be covered, unfortunately, I think it's too much to cram into a semester- 8 units in 5 months... Plus, it's not meant to be used for a text, so there's no questions or projects or ways to synthesize and apply what was just read. I am just having a hard time taking this book and turning it into a course.

With all the home shows, magazines, and websites, I know there are a ton of resources available, but after 4 weeks of planning 8 subjects for 2 kids for a years worth of work, my brain is just fried. I want to make this hands on and fun for her, but also something that will be useful for her when she is an adult.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Here's a course I considered doing. http://www.rhodec.org/welcome.php This is a certificate/degree program, but you should be able to get some info on what could be covered.

A great project might be to stage her room. Perhaps give her a decorating allowance and have her redo her room. (project)

Perhaps watch and compare a show on HGTV and BBC. They have some similar shows but the contrast between them can be very interesting. (writing)

Perhaps redecorate a room with no budget pulling items from what you already own. (economics)

Create a working design for a "dream" room. Print off wall ideas, furniture, light fixtures, colors etc. (project)

Create a design using different decorating styles for the same room. Say you used a living room, how could you make it modern, rustic, traditional, cottage, etc. (project)

Write a report for/against trend colors in decorating and gather "horror" stories from people still living with those trends. (like my avacado green oven and kitchen countertops). (history/rhetoric)

Research forthcoming trends in color and styles (research paper)

That sounds like a great idea, I hope she has fun with it.