Menu

Biology with a co-op

I usually post over on the K-8 board because of the age of my own children but thought this would be more appropriate to ask here:

I have been asked to teach what would be equivalent to 9th grade biology in a co-op setting. I am a former public school biology teacher, so I have no problem with the course content. My concern is how to structure the class so that I am comfortable with the level being equivilant to a high school credit and keep my sanity (I still have my 3 to school, too). I taught in a different homeschool setting last year and had a really bad experience because I didn't feel like there was enough accountability for the students and they didn't work up to my level of expectations.

So I am asking as parents of homeschooler highschoolers - what level of expectation would you have for students who are taking a science class that meets two hours a week? How much are you as a parent willing to be involved to assure that the student is working up to expectations? How much work outside of class would you expect them to do? What would you expect from the in-class time?

I just don't have the time or the desire to do a lot of grading and basic instruction. I want students to come to class prepared so we can discuss and do the labs, which is what I tried last year, but without accountability, it didn't happen. If you have any input or ideas, I am all :bigear:!

BTW, if it matters, they are using Apologia's biology text.

Thanks!

My three oldest dc did Apologia Biology through a co-op. We met weekly for 1.5 hours, but occasionally the teacher would request a longer time so they could complete a dissection in one class period. (This was the last class of the day, so we could extend the class if needed.)

The teacher expected 1/2 of a module to be read each week with accompanying OYO questions completed. These were not graded unless a student was not performing. The teacher spent 15-30 minutes of the class discussing/reviewing the material, and then they did the lab. The study guide at the end of the chapter was to be completed independently before the test. Tests were given at home by the parents, but the teacher graded them. Twice a year she would have a study night at her house and each student would come ready to "reteach" a module to the class in preparation for the final exam.

Our teacher also required formal lab notebooks and graded these after every 4 modules.

My expectation as a parent was that my dc worked on Biology at least 4 hours per week at home (sometimes it was more). I understood that I was to administer the test and make sure my dc was doing the homework. The teacher's responsibility was to oversee labs, clarify and reinforce material, grade tests, and inform the parents if students weren't performing up to standards.

I know what you mean about the lack of accountability. A written syllabus really helps. That way the kids can't vaguely say, "Yeah, mom, I'm doing my work." The moms know what is expected, and the kids know that mom knows. We also had to start explaining to parents that if kids did not do the work, they would not be welcome in the class. Bad attitudes are contagious!

As the leader of our co-op, I had to write a letter to all members stating our policies. One policy is that students must strive to meet the standards of the class. Some students and parents are learning to meet the expectations of other teachers for the first time. I have learned to be very clear, and very strict. I'll be flexible where needed, but announcements in class like , "My mom said I didn't have to write this essay!" are not allowed. (Mom needs to speak to me about it privately.)

The key to a successful co-op class is communication - much of it in writing. Parents, teachers, and students all need to have a clear understanding of the expectations.

HTH

Edited by Leanna
punctuation

I just don't have the time or the desire to do a lot of grading and basic instruction. I want students to come to class prepared so we can discuss and do the labs, which is what I tried last year, but without accountability, it didn't happen. If you have any input or ideas, I am all :bigear:!

In co-op situations, I have found that the students' preparation and performance in class is most directly affected by their parents. Some parents expect their children to do the homework, study for tests, read assignments and others . . . don't enforce it.

I'm facilitating Apologia biology this year (3rd time) and I use a syllabus which requires the students to read at home, do all the On Your Own questions, do the chapter reviews and take the tests at home. We really only meet together to review the chapter, extend the lesson and do the labs. The parents grade the tests and are completely responsible for assigning a course grade. This has worked well in the past.

Lisa