Menu

A good 'catch up' Math program?

Gwenhwyfar

Hi there.

I wonder if anyone might have a suggestion...

Background: Our dd13 (9th grade) has expressed an interest in taking part in some extracurricular activities through the public high school and possibly attending fulltime in the tenth grade. I've been making some phone calls and have discovered that this IS allowed (extracurriculars), but from what I've been able to find out so far, there's a good chance that she would be expected to follow the same curriculum as the kids in school are doing. I've yet to confirm this (have to wait another week before the individual I need to speak with comes back to work), but even if they don't require it for participation in extracurriculars, she does want to attend full time in 10th.

Problem: She isn't "on grade level" in math. When we started homeschooling years back, we thought that we were doing it 'all the way' - so we haven't been too concerned with being EXACTLY where the public school kids are. She's ahead in some, behind in others - depending on where you make your comparisons.

I need a math program that will "close the gaps" - and fairly quickly. She's at about the 6th/7th grade level in math - and she needs to catch up to 9th. (She may or may not have to work with a 9th grade text this year - we don't know yet. But by Sept 2011, she WILL have to handle the 10th grade math text if she goes ahead with her current plan and attends public high school full time.)

If she does have to do the 9th text this year, we'll deal. I'll still need something to work with her on the gaps - we'll just have to make it work out.

What program would you all suggest? Something that covers the basics, covers the major concepts taught during 7 & 8 mainly, I guess it would be. But something that can be done in a shorter time than usual. (If we get lucky and don't have to use the 9th text this year, then we have the full year to catch her up to level.)

Thanks! :)

Seconding CLE-worked for us for catch up. To go faster you can skip the -01 book (review) if you did the previous level and work consecutively w/out taking a break. You can also skip tests and quizzes, and possibly double up on lessons if you cross some out (for concepts they fully understand)-there is a lot of review in each lesson which may or may not be necessary for your dc. Another bonus-it is fairly independent.

Seconding CLE-worked for us for catch up. To go faster you can skip the -01 book (review) if you did the previous level and work consecutively w/out taking a break. You can also skip tests and quizzes, and possibly double up on lessons if you cross some out (for concepts they fully understand)-there is a lot of review in each lesson which may or may not be necessary for your dc. Another bonus-it is fairly independent.

How long on average do you think it would take to do the problems (or most of them) in one lesson? I know this would vary greatly from student to student, but can you give me a ball park for an average math student who doesn't waste a lot of time (lol)?

Thanks,

What about Saxon 8/7 with Pre-Algebra? Give her the placement test here.

Most 9th graders on a college prep track will be doing either Algebra I or Geometry. If you can get her through pre-algebra this year, she could get back on track next year by doubling up on Algebra I and Geometry. That would have her taking Algebra II in 11th and Trig/Pre-Calc. in 12th.

Thank you for the suggestions! :) I'll check them out. Not so sure about that "college" one though - unless the name is misleading?

Do a search for it on this forum to see if it might be a good fit (you might search under BCM too). It's basically a remedial math textbook used in community colleges for a one semester pre-algebra course, but it's popular among homeschoolers for middle school grades. It starts with arithmetic. An added bonus is that your 9th grader may get a confidence boost by seeing that it isn't childish at all. I used it years ago with adult math students I was tutoring and found it very straightforward. You should be able to get an older edition for a good price.

Thank you for the suggestions! :) I'll check them out. Not so sure about that "college" one though - unless the name is misleading?

I was going to recommend Lial's Basic College Math as well. The "College" is only in there because it's used as a Community College text for kids who need remedial math. It's basically pre-Algebra - my 7th grader will start it in a few weeks. It goes right back to the beginning in everything, so it's great for finding/fixing "gaps", and then brings them up to level so that when they're done, they're ready for Algebra. Also, all the teaching/explanation is in the text itself.

Go over to the high school board and search for BCM and Jann in TX - she has spoken quite eloquently on this curriclum (well, she convinced me. :tongue_smilie:)

You can also get the text quite cheaply used (7th or 8th edition is fine), and it has optoinal DVDs (DVTs) to teach the lessons (I got them because the dd I'm using it with and I have been butting heads over math - I'm hoping the video tutor will be better at keeping her calm. ;))

How about Life of Fred? Fractions, Decimals, then Pre-Algebra could surely be done in a year with an older, motivated student. You could probably skip Fractions & Decimals or go very quickly through them. So, that'd leave most of a year for Pre-Algebra.

That would put your child ready for Algebra in a year, so 10th grade. Not exactly a super-college-bound track, but acceptable for most purposes. (And, plenty of non-mathy kids go to college just fine.)

I realized that I didn't thank the rest of you here, so thank you! I've been researching the programs mentioned, along with some others, and haven't made a decision yet (still waiting on info re: how this year will go) but I appreciate everyone's suggestions. Many thanks! :)

EDIT: Okay, we finally know what's up. She does NOT need to follow the school's curriculum if she participates part time this year - we can still do our own thing. So we've got this year (at least) to 'catch up' in the mathematics area. Good good.

Edited by Gwenhwyfar
add new info