Menu

Free ethics workbooks for World & Am. Hist.

Hi! I came across this website and thought I'd pass it along. It offers free workbooks (with teacher's editions) for teaching ethics along with history at the jr. high/high school level. There's one for world and one for American. I haven't delved into them yet, but I hope they're useful to someone.

http://www.ethicsineducation.com/

:DHave a great day!

Rhonda

Wow, great resource!!! The same program offers what they call "Movie Jigs" — sets of discussion questions for 30 films that incorporate important issues in American history (e.g. Last of the Mohicans, Grapes of Wrath, O Pioneers, etc):

Movie Jigs for American History are teacher’s guides for what we have judged to be the 30 most useful movies for teaching American history. In designing the strategies, we selected the problem which was most relevant and central to the period presented in the film. These values laden issues are very appealing to students since they are invariably controversial, revolving around a perceived threat to the individual or society, to a cherished belief, or to an economic interest that can encourage fruitful discussion of ethical dilemmas. ....The lesson plans included in this manual combine the educational principles of Bloom’s taxonomy with the classroom strategies of the Socratic seminar. The basic beliefs which guided us were that genuine learning is active and not passive; involves the analytical mind not just the memory; and is a discovery process in which the student rather than the teacher is the focus of attention.

Terrific resource, thanks so much for posting this! :thumbup:

Jackie