Menu

What to do about english??

So I am going into the tenth grade this year! My dad actually convinced my mom into allowing me to stay homeschooled, she also saw all of your guys awesome posts and has enjoyed the support so much and says thank you for all the suggestions! I will be at the ps but it's for Spanish and electives.

There's a slight problem though, we have no idea what to use for english!! We have a small budget and we really need to know what is really good, has thorough instructions, and isn't ALL computer work. I can't stay on the computer too long, bad side effects. But if some of the work is for the computer no problem.

Any ideas?

You might want to check out Writing Strands. SWB has been recommending this curriculum for years, and they are inexpensive and written to the student. All you need is someone to give you feedback. If you call the company, you can talk about your needs with the young woman handling sales for the company. She is a college prof. I think she will provide feedback on by-paper fee.

Analytical Grammar will do the job for grammar if you need it.

Also, Excellence in Literature is written to the student, and the website recommends someone who is providing feedback for a reasonable fee.

This would cover all aspects of English - composition, grammar and lit.

Hth,

Bonita

Guest Cheryl in SoCal

I don't have any advice as what I use wouldn't work for you but wanted to say I'm happy for you!! It sounds like a great compromise:001_smile:

Another possibility for a complete English program would be to use two of the Hewitt Lightning Lit choices for the year. These programs incorporate literature and writing. Here is a link. Each guide is $24.95 (you'd need two for the year). Many of the titles are fairly common and probably easily obtained from your library or a used bookstore.

Choices include:

American Literature: Early - Mid 19th Century

American Literature: Mid - Late 19th Century

British Literature: Early - Mid 19th Century

British Literature: Mid - Late 19th Century

Shakespeare: Tragedies and Sonnets

Shakespeare: Comedies and Sonnets

Medieval British Literature

Speech

Christian British Authors of the Late 19th - Early 20th Centuries

World Literature I: Africa and Asia

World Literature II: Latin America, Africa, and Asia

Regards,

Kareni

Some good choices that are inexpensive would be Rod and Staff Grammar, and then do writing as outlined in the WTM (or download her writing CD's), and for Literature use SWB's Well Educated Mind with Lit lists from WTM or just do the self-study in WEM. You can check out her Literary Analysis talks as well. If you use your library for books, PinkMonkey.com for help with literary anaylsis, English will not cost much at all.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/audio-products/audio-lectures.html

This is what I am looking for. I had no clue what to use and my parents didn't want to use the ps english, we tried it a couple of years ago and my mom wanted to burn the book!:D

But this sounds like what I need, if anyone has any others, please let me know!!

P.S. Thanks for all the help!

I used Abeka for our tenth grade son and we liked it and feel he learned a lot. I assume you are talking about grammar and not literature. For grammar and some writing, Abeka is a great inexpensive choice.

I broke down in tears because of Abeka, I actually hated english for a while because of it!!!:chillpill: