Menu

Math curriculum that focuses on ONE concept at a time?

AnneGabe

If I teach my daughter addition and then give her a worksheet with only addition problems on it she does really well.

Same thing with any other subject/concept. If it's focused very specifically on one thing she can focus and do the work and learn really well and without whining or arguing.

If I give her a worksheet with say, addition, place value, writing numbers and days of the week she dawdles and gets distracted (and whines!) and takes ten times as long to get the work done.

It's not like she doesn't know how to do these things, she just does better focusing completely on one concept at a time.

Specifically with worksheets. I've been using printed worksheets I've found online since the horizons math worksheets overwhelm dd beyond belief.

Is there a math curriculum that would fit well with that kind of learning style?

That would, say, teach addition and have the child do an addition worksheet and then the next day/lesson would be place value and a place value worksheet and then something else the next day/lesson and then back to addition?

Does that make sense? I'm guessing there really is nothing like that out there. But I'm hoping there is?!

:bigear:

Math Mammoth is like this. The light blue is for the year, I think. It is the one I have... It is broken into chapters/lessons that focus on one thing at a time. It will still teach many concepts through the year though, unlike MUS.

Thank you! I looked at MUS because it seemed like the only thing mentioned on the forums that would fit my dd really well but I didn't like just how focused it got. lol

I know, picky, picky!

I'm going to go look at math mammoth now. I haven't ever looked into it before!

Math Mammoth does that. The Light Blue books cover all the topics for a specific grade level, but the individual lessons focus on one topic at a time. In fact, they break down the concepts into individual steps, and focus on one step at a time. The Light Blue books don't jump around between topics from one day to the next, though (addition one day, place value the next, etc.); they tend to work on one operation for a chapter, with each lesson building on the concepts of the previous lesson. So in that sense, it's more focused than what you were asking for.

If you prefer to jump around in terms of a different concept each day, you could use the Math Mammoth Blue Series. Each book covers a single topic (Addition, Subtraction, Place Value, etc), so you could just pull a worksheet from a different book each day if you wanted to. I would recommend the Light Blue books, though — I think the way MM builds conceptual understanding from one lesson to the next is really exceptional.

It's an all-in-one program, with the "teaching" part and the worksheet parts integrated on the same page, so there's no separate textbook, workbook, teacher's manual, etc. Cheap, rigorous, and super easy to use — and currently on sale through HSBC.

Jackie

Thank you! I looked at MUS because it seemed like the only thing mentioned on the forums that would fit my dd really well but I didn't like just how focused it got. lol

I know, picky, picky!

I'm going to go look at math mammoth now. I haven't ever looked into it before!

Math Mammoth is on sale at the Homeschool Buyer Co-op right now; we love it!

Thanks for all the information! I think I'll go ahead and buy it to try. It'll be nicer than doing what I've been doing which is basically teaching everything myself and putting together worksheets from online or making them myself! lol

The Light Blue books don't jump around between topics from one day to the next, though (addition one day, place value the next, etc.); they tend to work on one operation for a chapter, with each lesson building on the concepts of the previous lesson. So in that sense, it's more focused than what you were asking for.

Actually I think that sounds perfect!

Thanks Lovedtodeath, I just looked through some samples in the light blue series and it looks absolutely perfect for my daughter! It's laid out so well for how she learns :001_smile:

I've been wanting to get an abacus anyway, so I'll go ahead and order one now, too.

I feel hopeful that this will save me a lot of planning and my daughter a lot of frustration.:hurray:

I've been wanting to get an abacus anyway, so I'll go ahead and order one now, too.

I'd recommend getting the Activities for the AL Abacus kit. It was the original unscripted Right Start Math program before Dr. Cotter wrote the 5 levels with daily lessons. It will help you incorporate the RS way of teaching into another "spine" like MM.

We use Bob Jones Math here. My sons are in 2nd and K5. We like that it stays on one topic for a chapter rather than just one day. It has review at then end to keep remembering what they have already covered. My sons enjoy the stories that tie in to the lessons and learn well with the hands on parts. Good luck picking!